Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kids on motorcycles -- a mother fights back...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 01:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kids on motorcycles -- a mother fights back...

A Texas mother who was shamed on Facebook for letting her 7-year-old daughter ride home from school on the back of (the mother's) boyfriend's BMW is fighting back.

Revzilla News Link

Mallory Torres of Corpus Christi got caught in the social media storm after someone posted a photo on a motorcycle-related Facebook page of her daughter riding behind her boyfriend, John Hays. Some said she was endangering her daughter. Some called them both bad parents.

Torres didn't wilt under the pressure. She defended herself and her decision on Facebook and in TV appearances, noting that the girl was old enough to ride legally, was wearing a helmet and a protective vest and gloves. She also pointed out that plenty of parents let their children play sports, which also raises the possibility of injury, without being called bad parents. Since then, tens of thousands of people have weighed in on social media, some critical, most of them defending Torres and Hays.

Torres and Hays are trying to make something positive of the experience by organizing a ride next month for riders and their children.

In Texas, the minimum age for riding a motorcycle on the street as a passenger is 5. Other states have different minimum ages. Many experts say the decision should not be based solely on age, but on the child's ability to understand how to hold on and be safe, and legs long enough to keep his or her feet on the footpegs for security.

What are your thoughts on small children riding on the street?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 05-03-16 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A guy old enough to ride a motorcycle has a 7-year old girlfriend?

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-16 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 01:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

It's the mom's boyfriend.

Assuming the rider isn't riding dangerously, I see no problem with it. I personally wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't get angry at other parents for doing it.
Old 05-03-16, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
It's the mom's boyfriend.

Assuming the rider isn't riding dangerously, I see no problem with it. I personally wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't get angry at other parents for doing it.
OK....yeah, that makes a little more sense. The article should have been a little clearer on that. And, yes, if Texas law allows riding as young as 5, there isn't much to complain about if she is adequately helmeted and protected.
Old 05-03-16, 01:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A guy old enough to ride a motorcycle has a 7-year old girlfriend?
Yeah, don't you know he's the coolest pedophile in town riding a motorcycle with the kid

I'm going to call the mom out on this, mainly because I think motorcycles are dangerous, especially for a little kid to be riding on. Now I'm sure the dad/boyfriend/whoever is driving the bike is a safe, experienced guy, considering he's wearing full gear and the little girl is as well. Its just that other people on the road are idiots, if you get hit on the bike, you're dead. If he has to lay the bike down to avoid a collision or do something crazy that could throw the kid off to avoid a car, yeah that's real safe.

A kid's body is not going to take a hit like a full grown man's body, they're way more likely to die. What if the kid breaks her leg/arm/back or whatever, the complications are way more severe for a kid who is still growing and could end up with a limp, deformity, paralyzed, etc.

Its one thing when you ride, you take the risk on yourself. Don't subject your kid to these same risks.
Old 05-03-16, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah, don't you know he's the coolest pedophile in town riding a motorcycle with the kid
Yeah, I admit I misread the first sentence in the article.

A kid's body is not going to take a hit like a full grown man's body, they're way more likely to die. What if the kid breaks her leg/arm/back or whatever, the complications are way more severe for a kid who is still growing and could end up with a limp, deformity, paralyzed, etc.

Its one thing when you ride, you take the risk on yourself. Don't subject your kid to these same risks.
Just one more reason to keep the speed down and be extra-careful. Of course, It may be beyond their control if they get hit by someone else.
Old 05-03-16, 01:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just one more reason to keep the speed down and be extra-careful. Of course, It may be beyond their control if they get hit by someone else.
Yeah I think it might be okay if its just a ride around a residential area or on a very empty rural road for a couple of miles, keep the speeds below 40 or so. If you look where this guy is riding, its urban,, multi-lane, divided highway with traffic at a high rate of speed. He's riding right in the blind spot of the guy in the Ford truck, better hope the truck driver sees him if he decides to change lanes. I've done that before, almost took out a guy on a bike in my blind spot changing lanes, didn't think there was anybody there until I looked right before hand.
Old 05-03-16, 01:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A Texas mother who was shamed on Facebook for letting her 7-year-old daughter ride home from school on the back of her boyfriend's BMW is fighting back.

Revzilla News Link

What are your thoughts on small children riding on the street?
I think I'd want to avoid riding on the highway, as it looks like in the picture....

I don't think the comparison to youth sports is the same at all--especially for a 7 year old. Sure, a 7 year old can get hurt in collision playing soccer, but does that compare at all to an accident at 50 mph on a motorcycle. Mom can be the most cautious rider out there, but one person cuts you off, or runs a light, and it's a real tragedy.
Old 05-03-16, 02:11 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

all depends on the circumstances, personally I would not do it.. I've been riding for 35+ years and 2 things I don't do, carry passengers or commute, riding for me is alone time.

but if it is legal, and she can comfortably keep her feet on the foot pegs, is wearing the correct protective gear, I don't see the issue. a child that age is likely to be a better passenger than an adult, they will listen, hold on tight and probably not be much trouble.

Last edited by mjeds; 05-03-16 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 02:23 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the usual sight in India. I've witnessed it so many times. So there you go.
Old 05-03-16, 02:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I personally would not do it with my kids, but as long as the rider is driving responsibly and the kid is wearing the appropriate protective equipment, I wouldn't judge. I get far more upset when I see parents smoking in their cars with kids in the back seat than I do when I see a kid on a motorcycle.
Old 05-03-16, 09:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i wouldn't want my theoretical 7 year old kid on the back of a motorcycle but i don't care if others want to do it.

it confuses me why people always feel the need to get so concerned with things that have no effect on them. it's not like their kid is being forced to ride on a motorcycle, nor is this kid even forced into riding on a motorcycle. the kid likes it, it's of their own will, yea they probably don't know any better, but who cares.
Old 05-04-16, 02:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are specific products in the market for child "restraints" on motorcycles.

Pretty much a belt or holster, sometimes with handles that the child can hold onto.

Safer. But still the risks are there.

Old 05-04-16, 06:17 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not want my son on a motorcycle (he cannot sit still) but if the child is in the proper safety gear and riding behind a careful, experienced rider, it would not concern me. After what I have seen with parents in cars or minivans who have not properly belted in their young children (we even saw one standing up and talking between the two front-row seats), children on motorcycles may even be safer.

I am thinking that motorcycle riders here are probably better drivers than those in cars, since they are more likely to have had a safe driving/riding course.
Old 05-04-16, 06:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
There are specific products in the market for child "restraints" on motorcycles.

Pretty much a belt or holster, sometimes with handles that the child can hold onto.

Safer. But still the risks are there.

isn't gonna do one bit of good if some dumb shti that's texting and not paying attention hits you!!!

Quick Reply: Kids on motorcycles -- a mother fights back...