Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kids on motorcycles -- a mother fights back...

Old 05-07-16, 05:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Definitely doesn't seem safe but I can't stand this social media age. Instead of just calling the police whoever snapped this photo let this issue snowball into something huge. Who knows how much hate mail and threats this woman and her boyfriend have received by now.
Call the police? Why?
Old 05-07-16, 05:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
We are now on the topic of risk aversion. If one is so much averse to risk, so as to control others actions, where does it stop? I can agree when ones actions results in injury/death to others in the society.
No--that was the topic all along. It is legal for your kid to be on the back of a motorcycle, but "should" you allow it? Is the risk worth it. That's the enter point of the thread.
Old 05-07-16, 06:48 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

When I see this I just smh. That's really as far as it needs to go. If the video was taken by the driver. Then at that moment taking the video was worse. Driving distracted is crazy. If they want video they should get a dash cam so it's going all the time.
Old 05-07-16, 12:01 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm betting none of the naysayers are motorcycle riders. They're probably liberals as well. They deem it's not safe for themselves, hence no one should participate in the activity.
Old 05-07-16, 01:01 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I'm betting none of the naysayers are motorcycle riders. They're probably liberals as well. They deem it's not safe for themselves, hence no one should participate in the activity.
Did I say that. I'm sure as hell not a liberal. I never said you shouldn't ride or let your kids. I said I wouldn't and I won't let my kids. The difference in drive a car and riding a motorcycle is like skiing at a ski resort or skiing down some mountain the helicopter dropped you on. No I don't have a death wish nor do I have one for my kids. If others want to, have at it. Just don't make taxpayers pay for it, or complain that if something happens it's someone else's fault. Don't think that if a motorcyclist rides like an idiot that it could only cause death to them. One last year here in Houston past on the shoulder and T-boned an SUV. The rider went through the window and killed a baby in its car seat. To top off that there was lots of people saying that the motorcyclist did nothing wrong. The cyclist survived and wasn't charged with vehicular manslaughter.
Old 05-07-16, 01:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
No--that was the topic all along. It is legal for your kid to be on the back of a motorcycle, but "should" you allow it? Is the risk worth it. That's the enter point of the thread.

It is legal to have your kid on your motorcycle, depends upon the US state you are in. But should you? That is the risk aversion or appetite for risk.

ALABAMA: There is NO restriction on the minimum age for a motorcycle passenger. A rider who carries a passenger is required to have a passenger seat and footrest, and both rider and passenger are required to wear a helmet.

ALASKA: No minimum age for a passenger. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are required for operators under age 18, and for all passengers regardless of age.

ARIZONA: No minimum age for a passenger. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are required for all operators and passengers under age 18.

ARKANSAS: Persons under age 8 are prohibited from riding as a passenger on a motorcycle. Passenger seat and foot rest are required. Riders and passengers under the age of 21 are required to wear a helmet.

CALIFORNIA: No minimum age for a passenger. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are required, see California Vehicle Code Section 27803.

COLORADO: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Riders and passengers under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet.

CONNECTICUT: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet is required under age 18.

DELAWARE: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Riders and passengers must have an approved helmet in their possession. Riders up to 19 must wear helmets.

FLORIDA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are not required for riders over 21 providing they carry a minimum of $10,000. In medical insurance.

GEORGIA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are required.

HAWAII: Minimum legal age for passengers is 7. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under age 18.

IDAHO: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under age 18.

ILLINOIS: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. No helmet requirements.

INDIANA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under age 18.

IOWA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets not required.

KANSAS: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under age 18.

KENTUCKY: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required for novice riders, under the age of 21, and instructional permit holders.

LOUISIANA: Minimum age for passengers is 5. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets are required.

MAINE: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under 18, operating with a learner’s permit, operating less than one year with license/endorsement; passenger is subject to the same restrictions as the operator.

MARYLAND: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required.

MASSACHUSETTS: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required for riders and passengers, including passengers in sidecars.

MICHIGAN: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. The site states helmets are required, however, this is a good example of how laws can change, and why riders should stay current on their status. Michigan recently reversed this decision. Consult Michigan law for exact stipulations.

MINNESOTA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under age 18 and for instructional permit holders.

MISSISSIPPI: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required by law.

MISSOURI: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

MONTANA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmets required under age 18.

NEBRASKA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

NEVADA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18.

NEW JERSEY: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required.

NEW MEXICO: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required.

NEW YORK: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

NORTH CAROLINA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

NORTH DAKOTA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required.

OHIO: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required for novice riders, under age 18, and passengers are subject to the same requirements as the riders.

OKLAHOMA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18.

OREGON: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

PENNSYLVANIA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet optional 21 or older if licensed not less than 2 full calendar years or has completed an approved motorcycle rider safety course. Passengers exempt if 21 or older.

RHODE ISLAND: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 21 and novice riders, required for passengers.

SOUTH CAROLINA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required under 21.

SOUTH DAKOTA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18.

TENNESSEE: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

TEXAS: Minimum age for passengers 5, unless seated in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 21. Over 21, must show proof of successful completion of rider training or hold medical insurance covering injuries resulting from an accident while on the motorcycle.

UTAH: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18.

VERMONT: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required.

VIRGINIA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

WASHINGTON: Minimum age for passengers 5. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

EST VIRGINIA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet with reflectorization required.

WISCONSIN: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18 and for instructional permit holders.

WYOMING: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required under 18.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.

PUERTO RICO: No minimum age for passengers. Passenger seat and footrest are required. Helmet required.
https://vrumblesramblingbikerblog.wo...le-passengers/
Old 05-08-16, 09:34 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Did I say that. I'm sure as hell not a liberal. I never said you shouldn't ride or let your kids. I said I wouldn't and I won't let my kids. The difference in drive a car and riding a motorcycle is like skiing at a ski resort or skiing down some mountain the helicopter dropped you on. No I don't have a death wish nor do I have one for my kids. If others want to, have at it. Just don't make taxpayers pay for it, or complain that if something happens it's someone else's fault. Don't think that if a motorcyclist rides like an idiot that it could only cause death to them. One last year here in Houston past on the shoulder and T-boned an SUV. The rider went through the window and killed a baby in its car seat. To top off that there was lots of people saying that the motorcyclist did nothing wrong. The cyclist survived and wasn't charged with vehicular manslaughter.
I wasn't talking about you. I don't even know what you've written; I can't bother to read this whole thread because stupid people post stupid comments. Phil, the OP, likes stirring the pot, and all the craziness that ensues amuses him.

But seriously, what type of backwards logic was swimming in your head to cause you to write about a motorcyclist flying through a car window and killing a baby? That's a freak accident, not an example of...umm, nevermind. Let me find an article about a baby flying out of a car and killing a motorcyclist so I can out crazy you.
Old 05-08-16, 09:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by pvmike1
IPhil, the OP, likes stirring the pot, and all the craziness that ensues amuses him.
Stirring the pot, for the sake of intellectual debate on society and law, is progressive.

Blindly drinking the Kool-Aid is backwards.

Don't hate the complexity of the issue. And don't singly call me out. If it was an easy topic to discuss, we all would have moved on.
Old 05-09-16, 10:11 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Stirring the pot, for the sake of intellectual debate on society and law, is progressive.

Don't hate the complexity of the issue. And don't singly call me out. If it was an easy topic to discuss, we all would have moved on.
I wholeheartedly agree. The pot needs to be stirred every so often.
Old 05-10-16, 12:37 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Phil, I am not singling you out. I'm simply saying that you like posting these types of threads, that is all.

I also know that you are a motorcycle rider, as am I. I have 4 kids ranging from 9 months to 11 years old, and I won't give any of my kids a ride on my bike. Yet regardless of how I personally feel about children passengers on my own motorcycle, it is a legal activity and people can make that choice for themselves.

'Murica.