Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 07:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agreed. I'm a big fan of wood trim, but it's in the wrong places here and on the new CT6.

I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but once again I feel Cadillac may be edging toward retro styling with this particular steering wheel. Accentuating the horizontal trim goes back to how things were in the glory days.
I would rather the wood be in the middle of the steering wheel than around the edges. For me, nothing is worse that having a polished wood steering wheel that slips in my hand while I am making a turn. The actual steering wheel should be leather. If Cadillac wants to put the wood in the middle that is fine with me.
Old 05-10-16, 08:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps if I had one long enough, maybe I'd get used to it like you. But all the ones I've sampled so far in BMWs (and similar type of shifters in other vehicles) have, IMO, had a awkward feel (or no feel at all), unnatural types of motions, and, in BMW and Mazda's case, (-/+) for manual upshifts and downshifts opposite to the pattern in most vehicles. The stub-levers for shifting seen on the steering columns of some Mercedes and BMW vehicles also, IMO, are awkward and probably take getting used to.
That is just mimicking the manual stickshift: push straight forward to gear down, pull straight back to gear up.
Old 05-10-16, 11:36 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I would rather the wood be in the middle of the steering wheel than around the edges. For me, nothing is worse that having a polished wood steering wheel that slips in my hand while I am making a turn. The actual steering wheel should be leather. If Cadillac wants to put the wood in the middle that is fine with me.
Completely agree. I love the look of wood steering wheels. But try grabbing one on a hot day. Ugh. Much prefer the feel of leather all around the wheel. The wood on this looks great. Nice to see something different being done. The entire vehicle looks stunning to me. Nice job Caddy. The CT6 looks great in person too. Hope they're able to get some sales back in order.
Old 05-11-16, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Completely agree. I love the look of wood steering wheels. But try grabbing one on a hot day. Ugh. Much prefer the feel of leather all around the wheel.
Well, try grabbing a black-leather-covered steering wheel rim that has been sitting in the sun on a hot day, and see what that feels like.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-16 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:39 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welll, try grabbing a black-leather-covered steering wheel rim that has been sitting in the sun on a hot day, and see what that feels like.
I have and it's still cooler than the shiny glossy dark wood that tries to singe off my palm prints.
Old 05-11-16, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Well, try grabbing a black-leather-covered steering wheel rim that has been sitting in the sun on a hot day, and see what that feels like.
Huh? I live in Texas. My Audi leather steering wheel has never been hot to my hands, even on the warmest days, and my first two S5s were convertibles.

It's not this.
Attached Thumbnails -old-steering-wheel.jpeg  

Last edited by dseag2; 05-11-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Huh? I live in Texas. My Audi leather steering wheel has never been hot to my hands, even on the warmest days, and my first two S5s were convertibles.

It's not this.
(Respectfully) I don't agree with your "huh?" part. We generally don't get summer temperatures as hot here in VA as in most parts of TX, yet black leather-covered wheels here can get hot enough in the summer sun for one to take notice. Anything dark-colored like that tends to soak up a lot of heat in bright sunlight.
Old 05-11-16, 08:25 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't you guys use those foil windscreen shades? I find they keep a closed car a lot cooler even if it's been left out in the sun for the whole day. No tint is as good as an opaque cover anyway. I've got a full set for all the glass, it's a pain to set up and take down but the comfort is worth it.
Old 05-11-16, 08:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
Don't you guys use those foil windscreen shades? I find they keep a closed car a lot cooler even if it's been left out in the sun for the whole day. No tint is as good as an opaque cover anyway. I've got a full set for all the glass, it's a pain to set up and take down but the comfort is worth it.
Either that or a garage.
Old 05-12-16, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

about hot cars in the summer, i love my remote start.

and works from a good 200 feet away (probably more but haven't tried) so when leaving a place i double tap the remote button and by the time i get to my car it's nice and cool inside. it even turns on the ventilated seats.
Old 06-27-16, 07:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe someone over there at Cadillac is waking up to the notion that their cars are not organically going to start blazing their own sales, and it's going to take more effort than chest pumping to get the job done.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/06/...-cadillac-ats/

As Automotive News states, the Cadillac ATS has become somewhat of a problem child for the Cadillac brand, more so than piecing together where the hot-selling Escalade fits.
Residual values and marketshare have fallen for the ATS since its introduction, meaning it has become even more difficult to offer competitive lease programs. To fix this, AN reports Cadillac will be restructuring the ATS with new content and trims.
To start, prices will fall $650 to $1,100 depending on trim, but more content will be offered in each. Cadillac will also axe the base, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine from the lineup, leaving the 2.0-liter turbo-four as the base powerplant.; the 3.6-liter V6 will remain the range topping engine.
For the 2017 model year, ATS customers will receive the (now) base 2.0L turbo, popular options, such as the Bose surround-sound system, for the same price as a base 2.5L ATS in 2016.
Cadillac’s goal is to load in more value without throwing even greater piles of cash on the hoods of vehicles, thus boosting resale values.
Cadillac President, Johan de Nysschen, has been working hard to fix Cadillac’s dealer supply issues all while increasing residual values. Project Pinnacle, de Nysschen’s dealer restructuring, is receiving final touches as you read this.
Old 06-27-16, 11:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cadillac will also axe the base, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine from the lineup, leaving the 2.0-liter turbo-four as the base powerplant
Looking at you next 320i
Old 06-28-16, 12:50 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Feel sorry for 2016 2.5 buyers. But this has often been the pattern with past Cadillac and GM models. You take a risk buying a product from a company which is struggling to move a certain line of cars. Bigger incentives soon after, the addition of equipment, or the discontinuance of a model (or brand) are common.
Old 06-28-16, 07:36 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Looking at you next 320i
I'm not a fan of the 320i but it's a huge seller for BMW, they're not getting rid of it.
Old 06-28-16, 07:38 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Feel sorry for 2016 2.5 buyers. But this has often been the pattern with past Cadillac and GM models. You take a risk buying a product from a company which is struggling to move a certain line of cars. Bigger incentives soon after, the addition of equipment, or the discontinuance of a model (or brand) are common.
I don't feel sorry for them and you outlined the exact reasons why. Anybody who willingly purchases a GM product should know that their resale values are lower than the competition. They took the risk.

Quick Reply: Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell