Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 10:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't think the latest crop of Cadillacs are gimmicky...
I don't either. They are retro and boxy. The gimmicky thing relates to past models the last few decades.
Old 05-04-16, 10:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Caddy rolled out their new Flagship - CT6 - with a 4cyl engine and no V8 option = DOA!

Cadillac's heritage is all about luxury and V8s. To me this was idiotic move by them.
Also the CT6 doesn't look very good or any more special than a CTS.
Old 05-04-16, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Caddy rolled out their new Flagship - CT6 - with a 4cyl engine and no V8 option = DOA!

Cadillac's heritage is all about luxury and V8s. To me this was idiotic move by them.
I agree that a turbo 4 doesn't do the CT6's image any good, but that seems to be the way that many vehicle are headed....smaller-displacement engines with turbos. Both the CT6 and Continental, though, will have high-powered turbo V6s pushing 400 HP.
Old 05-04-16, 11:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
1) I never said the design itself made them famous. But it is now a styling element that invokes the brand.
2) Traumatic styling elements, eh? That...that is a new one for me. Audi's have had that greenhouse design since around the time Audi 5000's were supposedly pinning their owners against garage walls. Does that count as a traumatic styling element?
Work with me and you will learn quite a few new aspects

What is clean about the Cadillac styling? Is there anything that evokes awe? In Audi's case, it is the simplicity, and the beautifully stretched sheet metal across the car. No wavy lines.
Old 05-04-16, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So if they can produce a high HP, more efficient twin turbo 6, which may in fact be better than a V8, they should stick to old school thinking just because that's what they used to do?

Look at the Ford F150--the EcoBoost turbo 6 is an optional engine over the base V8.

The Caddy 2.0T makes more horsepower than a 1980s Ferrari 308 did. Evolve or be left behind.
Old 05-04-16, 11:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
So if they can produce a high HP, more efficient twin turbo 6, which may in fact be better than a V8, they should stick to old school thinking just because that's what they used to do?

Look at the Ford F150--the EcoBoost turbo 6 is an optional engine over the base V8.

The Caddy 2.0T makes more horsepower than a 1980s Ferrari 308 did. Evolve or be left behind.
There is a reason Sclass, 7 Series, A8, LS all have V8s and not turbo 6s.
Cadillac is known for V8s like the one in the Escalade, they need to put that engine in the CT6 - who cares about efficiency when gas is at $2.

Its all about image.
Old 05-04-16, 11:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Work with me and you will learn quite a few new aspects

What is clean about the Cadillac styling? Is there anything that evokes awe? In Audi's case, it is the simplicity, and the beautifully stretched sheet metal across the car. No wavy lines.
I haven't seen a lot of people say an Audi A4 evokes awe, but OK. And really, my point isn't centered on evoking awe in the first place. It's about seeing a design element and having that be in instant, recognizable aspect of the brand. It's why J Mays received so much criticism when the Ford Five Hundred debuted with the Audi-esque greenhouse. I understand where you're trying to go with the negative connotation piece but your point isn't really fully baked. The 2013 El Miraj was very well received by designers despite having classic Cadillac cues (and some too-gaudy elements). If they can continue to evolve their styling they'll be OK on that front, imo.

All I'm saying is that power needs to be carefully considered before it's thrown away. There's nothing awe-inspiring about kidney grilles and the Hofmeister kink but you know what, BMW knows it wouldn't be wise to throw them away. Cadillac has that same power in some of its design cues and that asset can be quite useful. As I've said multiple times, when car designers shy away from vertical tail lights simply because its too much like a Cadillac, you've got something with worth. It's their job to determine whether to use it or not, of course.

Last edited by TangoRed; 05-04-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 11:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

There is a reason Sclass, 7 Series, A8, LS all have V8s and not turbo 6s.
Cadillac is known for V8s like the one in the Escalade, they need to put that engine in the CT6 - who cares about efficiency when gas is at $2.

Its all about image.
The CT6 isn't going to hold a candle to the S Class, 7 Series or A8. Caddy has said the CT6 will not be a flagship vehicle for the brand.

Cadillac is "known" for its V8s because it hasn't bothered, until now, to develop a more modern, efficient, more powerful smaller engine.

Just like the F150, don't be surprised of the TT V6 makes its way to the Escalade. All those housewives driving around my area in their Escalades--trust me, the "image" they project has nothing to do with the engine inside the vehicle. Ask them, or their mahjong club members what's under the hood:

And, Federal CAFE requirements make all manufacturers care about MPGs, even if people and their short term memories don't because gas prices have dropped for 6 months.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-04-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Its all about image.
Well, it will not always be $2. In fact, you can probably expect a significant increase in just the next month or so, as we hit the peak summer driving season.

Besides, the CT6's TTV6 is no slouch. It has 404 HP and 400 ft-lbs.of torque. Though i have not actually sampled it yet, that should be enough to get even a car the CT6's size out of its own way. Its refinement may not quite equal that of a V8 at higher RPMs, but most people don't drive in the upper reaches of the tach.
Old 05-04-16, 11:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Right now it is the FLAGSHIP!

They have ATS, CTS, XTS, and now CT6 - i think they have all segments covered.
The way they positioned the CT6 is idiotic and will only confuse existing and esp prospective clients.
Old 05-04-16, 12:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^
Right now it is the FLAGSHIP!

They have ATS, CTS, XTS, and now CT6 - i think they have all segments covered.
The way they positioned the CT6 is idiotic and will only confuse existing and esp prospective clients.
That why the word is that the CT5 won't fit exactly where the CTS sits right now, which will clear things up. From what my sparse GM intelligence has told me, we'll see a return to the tweener positioning.
Old 05-04-16, 12:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The way that Cadillac has positioned the new CT6 is stupid IMO. Its only slightly bigger than the CTS, it looks like the CTS, the price and engine options overlap, I don't see what exactly they were going for other than to cannibalize CTS sales with the lower trim versions of this car.

Also the base 4 cylinder engine is a disgrace IMO. Like others have said, Cadillac needs value pricing, if the comeptition offers a 4 cylinder turbo for $60k, sell the car with that new rip snorting 3.6 V6 that revs to 7000rpm as standard. Offer the LT1 V8 out of the Corvette, it is an awesome engine. It makes 60 more horsepower than the top range 3.6 twin turbo V6 and gets the same gas mileage.

I don't get Cadillac, if you are going to do a flagship car, don't price it the same as your mid-spec car, just price it higher with the good engines standard(twin turbo V6 and V8 optional) and most equipment standard. I feel like we're beating a dead horse, but Cadillac seriously has their pricing all wrong on their sedans, when they have to discount them 10-15k off sticker.
Old 05-04-16, 12:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't seen a lot of people say an Audi A4 evokes awe, but OK. And really, my point isn't centered on evoking awe in the first place.
I get it. My mistake. People typically relate to awe as in Shock & Awe during Desert Storm, and other battles. I am referring to the inner awe. The one that gets you inside you. And nothing does that better than simplicity done beautifully.

It's about seeing a design element and having that be in instant, recognizable aspect of the brand. It's why J Mays received so much criticism when the Ford Five Hundred debuted with the Audi-esque greenhouse. I understand where you're trying to go with the negative connotation piece but your point isn't really fully baked.
My point is the essence of styling, and those who get it come away with winning designs. The ones who try too hard to impress, feel confused and fall apart. Another simplicity winner design - Kia Optima.

The 2013 El Miraj was very well received by designers despite having classic Cadillac cues (and some too-gaudy elements). If they can continue to evolve their styling they'll be OK on that front, imo.

Yes. But too often these design elements hark back to medieval ages, high & mighty appearance of royalty, and that does not sit well with most of the buyers today who live in modest houses, and not palaces. That or some look too futuristic, that is hard to comprehend and embrace TODAY, the day when the customer wants to buy cars.

All I'm saying is that power needs to be carefully considered before it's thrown away. There's nothing awe-inspiring about kidney grilles and the Hofmeister kink but you know what, BMW knows it wouldn't be wise to throw them away. Cadillac has that same power in some of its design cues and that asset can be quite useful. As I've said multiple times, when car designers shy away from vertical tail lights simply because its too much like a Cadillac, you've got something with worth. It's their job to determine whether to use it or not, of course.
They need to evaluate. Yes. But evaluate on both sides. Do they bring in loyalty power or WTF ie traumatic power with them?
Old 05-04-16, 02:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The way that Cadillac has positioned the new CT6 is stupid IMO. Its only slightly bigger than the CTS, it looks like the CTS, the price and engine options overlap, I don't see what exactly they were going for other than to cannibalize CTS sales with the lower trim versions of this car.

Also the base 4 cylinder engine is a disgrace IMO. Like others have said, Cadillac needs value pricing, if the comeptition offers a 4 cylinder turbo for $60k, sell the car with that new rip snorting 3.6 V6 that revs to 7000rpm as standard. Offer the LT1 V8 out of the Corvette, it is an awesome engine. It makes 60 more horsepower than the top range 3.6 twin turbo V6 and gets the same gas mileage.

I don't get Cadillac, if you are going to do a flagship car, don't price it the same as your mid-spec car, just price it higher with the good engines standard(twin turbo V6 and V8 optional) and most equipment standard. I feel like we're beating a dead horse, but Cadillac seriously has their pricing all wrong on their sedans, when they have to discount them 10-15k off sticker.
Completely agree on all your points.
Huge FAIL for Cadillac on this one.
Old 05-04-16, 03:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Or, stated another way, "If you come at the King, you best not miss."

Quick Reply: Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell