Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I can't imagine 500 people going to a shopping mall, or work, or a baseball game and all charging in the parking lot for free.
That depends on how many perks (if any) the mall-owner or buisness-owner is willing to give to his customers as an incentive for shopping there.

I like the idea of an EV because I would not have to visit a gas station ever again.
An even better idea, though, IMO, is an Extended-range, Plug-in Hybrid (Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius Plug-in, Ford Energi plug-in models, etc...). That way, you have pure-electric range most of the time if you aren't going very far, you use very little if any gasoline (though even with a full-charge on the battery the gas engine has to start and warm up a certain minimal number of times jot keep from deteriorating), and you are guarded against a power failure and not being able to recharge if a storm or something else knocks out the local power-grid.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-23-16, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That depends on how many perks (if any) the mall-owner or buisness-owner is willing to give to his customers as an incentive for shopping there.

An even better idea, though, IMO, is an Extended-range, Plug-in Hybrid (Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius Plug-in, Ford Energi plug-in models, etc...). That way, you have pure-electric range most of the time if you aren't going very far, you use very little if any gasoline (though even with a full-charge on the battery the gas engine has to start and warm up a certain minimal number of times jot keep from deteriorating), and you are guarded against a power failure and not being able to recharge if a storm or something else knocks out the local power-grid.
The chances of offering free electricity is not likely going to happen. Some places offer it now because so few people own an EV. Electricity cost will skyrocket if EVs become more popular. We already have peak rates etc etc. I am not sure but I have seen some comparisons that show that the cost to run an EV is roughly the same as that of a hybrid Toyota. The fuel industry will back Toyota and the big automakers for hydrogen before they back electric vehicle makers.

As for the extended plug in. I would argue that you don't even need it to be hybrid. And in a plug-in to your Buick Verano or my Corolla and give it 30 miles per day range. Once it runs out of charge you start using the gas engine. You got the best of both worlds.

The big automakers and the fuel industry WANT to make money. Driving around for free on energy via battery charging, gas, or hydrogen will not be free.
Old 04-23-16, 08:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
EVs are disruptive because most people can charge at home or at work. You'll never need to visit a gas station again and you'll use outside chargers only on long trips. EVs also promote decentralized power generation with renewables, another disruption to the energy business. I'm betting on EVs as the future with HFCVs relegated to niches like trucking.
Being able to charge an EV at home is likely to become easier and easier. The province of Quebec, Canada is contemplating a change to its home building codes that would require the outfitting of a 240V charging station in each new home built. But Quebec does have an advantage -- it has abundant and cheap hydroelectricity.

(Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/22/q...ation-mandate/)

Yes, but it still costs you money to charge an EV. And as demand for EVs increases, so will the demand and cost for electricity. Once there is a significant infrastructure of hydrogen supply, then hydrogen costs come down.

I can't imagine 500 people going to a shopping mall, or work, or a baseball game and all charging in the parking lot for free.

I like the idea of an EV because I would not have to visit a gas station ever again. But electricity is still expensive. And the Model S is very appealing as its the fastest 4 door sedan every made. No need for a V8 (or V12) when the Tesla S can do it twice as fast
Electricity may be expensive but it still costs much, much less to run a car on electricity than on gasoline -- one study says running an EV costs only one-third the cost of running on gasoline (source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/06/...st-comparison/).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem with a plug-in hybrid (or extended-range electric vehicle), as it is with a true electric vehicle, is that it requires a battery of great volume and weight (with current-technology batteries) that takes up great passenger or cargo space.

That being said, I would welcome -- with greater efficiency in battery packaging -- a plug-in hybrid ES (or even the CT).

As for the extended plug in. I would argue that you don't even need it to be hybrid. And in a plug-in to your Buick Verano or my Corolla and give it 30 miles per day range. Once it runs out of charge you start using the gas engine. You got the best of both worlds.
This is not a new idea; it is known as a "through-the-road" hybrid, where a parallel EV drivetrain is added to an internal combustion engine-driven car (available in Europe on the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4). The concept seems simple, but the control electronics (to turn on the ICE only when necessary) are likely not that simple and it probably would not cost much more to effectively combine the 2 drivetrains to make it a true hybrid.

The advantage of such a system is simplicity (in concept if not execution) and available AWD. But I can see some disadvantages as well. If you merely add a standalone EV drivetrain to a car such as the Toyota Corolla, you have, in effect, two different cars, going from silent, clean running on electricity to running on noisy, dirty internal combustion engine; and you may go from running RWD (on electricity) to FWD (on the ICE), which may be quite a driving dynamics change. By combining the 2 drivetrains into a true hybrid drivetrain, you even out and minimise the dynamic differences, and you make the car more efficient by making some ICE power available to recharge the battery, even while driving the car (which is what all true hybrid cars do these days), rather than wasting that fossil fuel-power.
Old 04-23-16, 08:43 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There seems to be a sweet spot for weight, cost and performance for hybrids. There's no point using a heavy and expensive battery unless you go full EV, and there's no point lugging around a complex and heavy ICE drivetrain unless you plan on using it most of the time. Hybrids with sub-2 kWh battery packs and full EVs like the Leaf and Model S fit in that sweet spot, whereas most plugins don't. Plugin SUVs are pointless because the EV range isn't much and ICE-only mileage is dismal.
Old 04-24-16, 06:27 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
EV or hydrogen FCV?
I have no crystal ball either.

EV is a direct application.
HFCV is an indirect application where energy is transitionally stored inside hydrogen and oxygen molecules.
The hydrogen fuel cell stack allows the hydrogen molecules to combine with the oxygen molecules to release energy.
The advantage of this indirect application is that the transitional hydrogen fuel tank is simple and far more energy dense, and far quicker to refill than a battery which has poor energy density, and the battery is recharged by a chemical reaction which is slow compared to mechanical refilling.
The disadvantage is that hydrogen is an extra step, hence a slower process overall.

At the end of the day, EV or HFCV choices will be based on:
1) production and supply of different energy types, eg Japan has a shortage of electricity supply, but a potential abundance in hydrogen supply.
2) the output characteristics of the different drivelines, where the direct acting EV's which can release their stored electrical energy very quickly favor maximum power output, while the indirect acting HFCV's which must undergo a transitional reaction to release electrical stored energy, thus have very modest maximum power output, but potentially have a much longer mileage range.
EV or HFCV I don't care, I want both of them to succeed and have their own market share much like Gas and Diesel today, there is no need to be only one. But as long as we are done with the turd we call ICE I'm happy, sooner the better.

I still believe this is the future we should head to. Charging while you are still driving.

Old 04-24-16, 02:18 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Separating this post from the Tesla Model S Refreshed thread to stay more on topic. Also a source informed me the other day that the 5LS is coming later than we thought. These articles seem to support that tidbit.
As much as I have removed myself from commenting so often, I felt I had to address this.

You probably cannot answer this directly due to NDA concerns, but I only reasonably assume your source was referring to a mistaken belief the car was planned for the 2017 model year.

I have since dumped that assumption for the past 11 months, in following Japanese media sources, Lexus Europe sources (official and personal), and Automotive News. Every other source I have since dismissed, until they corrected their information.

I correctly predicted 5 months early that the 5LS would be shown in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show. Thus the LF-FC, which many still fail to get the name right or mistakenly assume it does not preview the LS, due to the "FC" suffix.

It stands for "Lexus Future Flagship Car" and "Lexus Future Fuel Cell".

I was right in the end last year, despite so many media sources wrongly claiming otherwise that it was certainly going to be a production LS debut, set for launch this year. All despite the primary fact, that the LC would debut before it, introducing the new modular platform.

It has continously fallen on deaf ears, my very statements that the new model will arrive for the 2018 model year. If your source is claiming it is due by late 2017-early 2018, that is understandable, but nothing new or shocking.

If they are claiming this car is due in late 2018 or 2019, not only is that gobsmackingly inexcusable, is beyond disgraceful and indicative of Toyota foolishly resting on their laurels.

The very product that made Lexus worth a damn for a decade, has been terribly neglected to the point its competitors outshine it in many areas outside of reliability.

Let's not kid ourselves, even if Toyota puts all of their best efforts in the 200B programme, at the end of the day Daimler AG is not standing still and the S-Class can easily one-up them. The next S-Class reaches concept approval within the next 12 months.

In 2016, the 4LS is not where MB was in 1989 with the W126, that affords the car to remain enitrely unchanged for 6-7 years on a 12-13 year old chassis.
Old 04-24-16, 04:00 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the post above.

even if Toyota puts up their absolute A game for next LS and its tech features MB is on such a role that it can remedy Toyota's effort real quick. Just like they one upped BMW 7 series with E-class
Old 04-24-16, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

even if Toyota puts up their absolute A game for next LS and its tech features MB is on such a role that it can remedy Toyota's effort real quick. Just like they one upped BMW 7 series with E-class
Lexus could remedy that, they coikd start by offering a V12.
Old 04-24-16, 08:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Mercedes is moving in leaps & bounds with C & E Classes lately, and they have an electric vehicle slated for release in 2018.

Lexus is so slow, with no electric vehicle in sight, and their hydrogen fuel cells may be barking up the wrong tree, because I'm personally more interested in 0-60 in 3.0, than in HFCV's 450 mile (700 km) range.

I might have to switch back to Benz, but their reliability haunts me.
Old 04-24-16, 11:32 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vladi

LMAO! That is so cruel and you know it, but still somewhat true of course!

As far as MB is concerned, they are only finishing up the facelift, but already have 2.5 years work done with the next S-Class.

I pointed out that fact, as many defenders of these delays are always quick to point out how "it's going to be worth it". With many folks, Lexus just cannot win, especially with outdated power trains and products in some areas.

Until the LC, Lexus was becoming known solely for entry level luxury FWD-based products in the ES and RX, which shared components and common platform with mass market Toyota products.

Basically no halo nor flagship models to boast of, once the LFA went out of production. A car that many people do not even know exists.

One cannot even hope it will be second best, if Audi ends up beating them to market and Infiniti decides to wake up for once. Over engineering a product with no sensible development timetable is not conducive to ROI, a lesson Jaguar also has yet to learn.

The next S-Class will arrive between mid-2020 and Q1 2021. If the 5LS arrives in late 2018-2019, it will be obliterated shortly after and be used as an excellent study piece by MB engineers (as well BMW) for fine-tuning their redesigns.
Old 04-24-16, 11:41 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Lexus could remedy that, they coikd start by offering a V12.
Toyota is replacing 1GZ-FE engine with possibly a 5.0 litre UR V8 variant, upon Century redesign next year. I highly doubt at this point they're investing in 12 cylinders anymore, as by now a V12 LS would have been seriously discussed and not the lame duck flagship LS600hL unchanged since 2007.

I am hoping this LS FCV is not a repeat of that V8 hybrid with "V12 power", which was quickly outgunned by the N74-powered F02 760Li (LSh had same output as E65 760 w/N73 V12).
Old 04-24-16, 11:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Mercedes is moving in leaps & bounds with C & E Classes lately, and they have an electric vehicle slated for release in 2018.

Lexus is so slow, with no electric vehicle in sight, and their hydrogen fuel cells may be barking up the wrong tree, because I'm personally more interested in 0-60 in 3.0, than in HFCV's 450 mile (700 km) range.

I might have to switch back to Benz, but their reliability haunts me.
Well, Toyota has their targets set on fuel cells and hybrids, so that isn't so surprising. I don't see them bothering electric vehicles until that is said and done for. I really wouldn't expect any dedicated EV from them, until/unless the Mirai and LS FCV are proven as failures.

My real problem with them is that they do not have a range-topping RWD-BASED crossover nor a truly up-to-date flagship saloon. Just reskinned aging products and a yet to come LC, which is still 10-11 months out.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-24-16 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 07:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just wanted to say I got to see the next LS. The exterior didn't make the same transition as the LC (concept > production) but the interior continues the pace set forth by the LC. No further details.

Last edited by TangoRed; 05-23-16 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 08:15 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What a tease

I hope they keep the coupe silhouette for the exterior because it would make a huge splash in the market. A Lexus that looks like an Aston 4-door would be great.
Old 05-23-16, 08:16 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just wanted to say I got to see the next LS. The exterior didn't make the same transition as the LC (concept > production) but the interior continues the pace set forth by the LC. No further details.
What a damn tease.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)