Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 04:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lease my cars for less than 3 years and so far my last 3 BMWs had zero problems, and I got free maintenance.
Old 04-22-16, 09:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A couple of comments:

- The new X1 is now about the same size as the original X3. Have a look at it. It's far more affordable than the X3.

- Anyone can cheap out on maintenance over the course of a lease, then hand it down to someone else. It is not exclusive to German cars. In fact, at least with BMW, all scheduled maintenance was included, so those cars will be more babied. I think one of the worst examples would be a pre-owned Camaro or Mustang, which was driven by a young male. Talk about abuse.

- Audi's current reliability has greatly risen in recent years. They should get said credit.

- Reliability and maintenance are two different things in the longterm. A car, such as a newer A4, can be quite reliable, but still very expensive to maintain over time.

- For the longest time, German cars were said to have driving soul and character. This is what has made them more fun to drive than their Japanese counterparts. However, these two roles are somewhat changing now. Many newer American and Japanese cars are said to handle and perform better than the perennial BMW winners. So the need to go back to a German car for the fun factor is diminishing.
Old 04-22-16, 10:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

- For the longest time, German cars were said to have driving soul and character. This is what has made them more fun to drive than their Japanese counterparts. However, these two roles are somewhat changing now. Many newer American and Japanese cars are said to handle and perform better than the perennial BMW winners. So the need to go back to a German car for the fun factor is diminishing.

Agreed about the newer BMW's not handling or driving as nice as their predecesors(yes they are faster). Plus I think the big thing is the competition has caught up in terms of handling/chassis development. The Cadillac ATS(a car I wouldn't buy based on the horrendous interior) drives/handles/rides like nothing else. It feels like a 4 door Miata, it has that natural, light on its feet feel about it that is missing in the current 3 series.

Anyways, getting back on point, I think the real reason you buy a German car is both for the prestige and that some of them really are the best thing on the market. Mercedes-Benz, I feel that they are making the best cars in the world if you want that luxury feel, their interiors bring the fit/finish and design from 200k Bentleys down to prices mortals can afford. IMO they leapfrogged Audi and Lexus in that department with the latest C, E, and S class.
Old 04-24-16, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Technically, my Buick Verano is essentially a German car (the Delta II-platform Opel Astra sedan) with a standard Buick-supplied powertrain and a whole lot of Buick sound-insulation added to it. The Chevy Cruze is also (very loosely) related to this platform, but much less so than the Verano.
Old 04-26-16, 12:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Technically, my Buick Verano is essentially a German car (the Delta II-platform Opel Astra sedan) with a standard Buick-supplied powertrain and a whole lot of Buick sound-insulation added to it. The Chevy Cruze is also (very loosely) related to this platform, but much less so than the Verano.
I've never driven the Verano, but do have some seat time in the larger Germanic Regal a 2012 model. I must say that car straight boogies around the corners and has a good amount of thrust from the turbo 4 cylinder engine. Mainly I liked the ride, it was a bit firm, but smooth at the same time. You felt the big bumps, but they were asorbed with a very solid "thunk" that is kind of hard to describe with an American car. Overall the fit/finish on that car was better than a $100,000 Escalade Platinum, yes it wasn't as glitsy, but the fit betweent the buttons/panels was tighter.
Old 04-26-16, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've never driven the Verano, but do have some seat time in the larger Germanic Regal a 2012 model. I must say that car straight boogies around the corners and has a good amount of thrust from the turbo 4 cylinder engine. Mainly I liked the ride, it was a bit firm, but smooth at the same time. You felt the big bumps, but they were asorbed with a very solid "thunk" that is kind of hard to describe with an American car. Overall the fit/finish on that car was better than a $100,000 Escalade Platinum, yes it wasn't as glitsy, but the fit betweent the buttons/panels was tighter.
Regals are essentially rebadged German Opel Insignias, with a few American touches and Buick drivetrains/sound insulation in them. The Verano, similiariy, is a rebadged, slightly smaller Opel Astra with a Buick drive train and sound insulation. In my experience, Its ride, especially in warm weather when the tires and shock-fluid is softer, is not quite as firm as the Regal's, but steering/handling is roughly comparable. You are correct about the fit/finish of these Opel-derived Buicks.......it is noticeably better than that of more conventionally-derived GM products. And the Regal GS is a no-nonsense sport-sedan....it comes with Brembo brakes and sport-suspansion. Car and Driver magazine felt it was the best Buick product (to their tastes) they had ever sampled...including the old Grand Nationals.
Old 04-26-16, 08:42 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I used to own a BMW 320i many years ago. It was the most unreliable vehicle I ever owned convincing me to never own another BMW ever. I have kept to that promise to myself up to today.

The BMW I owned was plagued with electrical problems. It was very unnerving to get into the car far from home and turn the key and nothing happens. (it wasn't a bad battery either) I had bought it brand new but they never figured out the problem up til I finally traded it in and washed my hands of BMW.

I have owned many Lexus cars since over the years and have enjoyed the reliability and comfort unmatched by any other brand.
Old 04-26-16, 10:28 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The picture is worth 300K miles.
MB - 96K
Lexus - 110K
BMW - 110K

Old 04-26-16, 10:32 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HouseB328

Most people buy a car for $50k and then they approach the 60k maintenance that will cost them over $1000, if not close to $2000. Since these people might trade their German car before 100k miles or so, what's the point of spending that money on constant maintenance?
This is the most uneducated opinion ever.

Yes. When you take the car in, the dealer will very calmly tell you that you need the 60K maintenance done. For $1200, when you inquire.

What every owner fails to realize is that the owners manual states exactly what needs to be done at those intervals, and nothing the factory specifies costs anything in that region. In my 70K miles of ownership of the ML350, I have spent approx @ $600 in oil changes (every 10K miles) and one transmission fluid replacement for $450. Nothing else. Nada. Zilch.

Last edited by chikoo; 04-26-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 11:17 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikoo
MB - 96K
Lexus - 110K
BMW - 110K

That E46 is a beauty and doesn't even look like it's over a decade old with 110K miles. Timeless design.
Old 04-26-16, 07:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
MB - 96K
Lexus - 110K
BMW - 110K

Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?-img_2607croprs_61a976875beaeedc04db01d77ad3dcd658a31417.jpg
Impressive stable! Where's the Audi?
Old 04-26-16, 08:30 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Impressive stable! Where's the Audi?
Haha I need to be smitten, and it will be there.
Old 04-26-16, 08:31 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
That E46 is a beauty and doesn't even look like it's over a decade old with 110K miles. Timeless design.
You bet. . The a$$ is even better than the face on this one
Old 04-27-16, 08:07 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned many cars starting with 07 Lexus IS 250, 09 BMW 335i (e92), 14 Lexus GS F Sport, 08 Acura TL Type S, 06 Infiniti G35 coupe and the only car that has given me the most problems was the 09 BMW 335i. I later found out that the 09 BMW model year was horrible and had many many issues and that was my case. I finally sold it to some college kid who wanted his first BMW and I hope this doesn't discourage him from getting another BMW. Anyways, my point is that all my Japanese cars has great reliability and it also comes down to how the owner takes care of the car too.
Old 04-28-16, 08:21 AM
MetroLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my number one are VWs

Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?-image6_c2dbbf6347337ad58c9805f601f0dd02bca79235.jpg

Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?-image3_852fa219f4e096088a1b9fd6d540c560f05a8eda.jpg

Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?-image5_d80a481875e6cb3acec5a66ce507f00d70c84cc4.jpg

Quick Reply: Anyone own a German vehicle, or want to at some point in addition to our Lexus?