Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JLR to launch Ingenium straight-six engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 02:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default JLR to launch Ingenium straight-six engines

The Midlands-based car maker is understood to be ditching its V6s in favour of straight-six units; engines are expected to be 3.0-litre in capacity

The six-cylinder engines in Jaguar Land Rover’s future expanded Ingenium family will be straight-six units rather than V6s.

The petrol and diesel inline six engines will replace the current Ford-sourced V6s in JLR’s model range, and will be built at the firm’s Ingenium engine plant in Wolverhampton, a doubling in size of which was confirmed by JLR last year.

Switching to in-line six engines rather than using V6s will mean JLR’s six-cylinder engine strategy will mirror that of rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

The Ingenium engine family is of modular design, allowing the design, parts and manufacturer of different engine sizes to be shared. The six-cylinder engines will be, in effect, a version of the four-cylinder Ingenium with two extra cylinders. The engines will have a capacity of 3.0 litres, as with JLR’s current V6 engines.

The Ingenium engine strategy is similar to that of BMW with a 500cc per cylinder capacity. Three-cylinder engines are also planned, with a 1.5-litre capacity. A four-cylinder Ingenium 2.0-litre petrol engine is due later this year.

The use of straight-six engines has already been packaged into the engine bay of models from the lightweight D7a architecture used on the Jaguar XE, XF, and F-Pace, an architecture which is also destined for future Land Rovers.

Inline six-cylinder engines are traditionally trickier to package, but use fewer moving parts and are lighter than V6s, which translates to improved fuel economy and lower manufacturing costs.

The Ingenium engine range is geared up for different configurations with transverse or longitudinal installation, front-, rear- and all-wheel drive transmissions, and, in the future, hybridisation.

V8s do have a future in JLR’s lineup, even though they're unlikely to be built by JLR or be part of the Ingenium family. There is speculation that JLR could switch to BMW or Mercedes-sourced V8s in the future, rather than develop its own.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ht-six-engines
Old 04-19-16, 08:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's cool, getting back to their roots at Jaguar with the straight six. Personally I love the straight six, makes great sounds and is so buttery smooth. Plus they can make a ton of power with a turbocharger.

Also I believe that article is incorrect, as Mercedes switched from inline six cylinders to the V6 back in the 90's and are continuing to use the V6 in their current models.
Old 04-19-16, 11:15 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Merc and BMW are using turbo inline-4s for most of their lineup, with V6s (Merc) and inline-6s (BMW) for higher end models. AFAIK only BMW are using modular engines. And cookie cutter cars too, but that's another story.
Old 04-20-16, 04:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

The more straight sixes in the world, the better. Love the ultra-smooth power delivery. An added benefit is they're too damn long for any goofy engineer to try to jam one in sideways.
Old 04-20-16, 05:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Jesus they've been talking about this since 2013. Get them to the market already.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Merc and BMW are using turbo inline-4s for most of their lineup, with V6s (Merc) and inline-6s (BMW) for higher end models. AFAIK only BMW are using modular engines. And cookie cutter cars too, but that's another story.
Mercedes-Benz will be debuting their modular I6's by the end of this year. No word on which car will be the first to receive, but logically it'll be the S-class come facelift time (euro-market).
Old 04-20-16, 06:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Originally Posted by TangoRed
Mercedes-Benz will be debuting their modular I6's by the end of this year. No word on which car will be the first to receive, but logically it'll be the S-class come facelift time (euro-market).
Mercedes-Benz used I6 engines up to the late 1990s when it switched to modular, 90deg (rather than the more common 60deg) V6 engines. It made the switch to allow commonality with its 90deg V8 engines.

Now it is switching back to I6 engines to allow commonality with its I4 engines.
Old 04-20-16, 08:51 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, they ditched the wonderful inline 6 back in 97 for the V8...soo....

Would be nice to see them go back to inline 6s.
Old 04-20-16, 09:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The more straight sixes in the world, the better. Love the ultra-smooth power delivery. An added benefit is they're too damn long for any goofy engineer to try to jam one in sideways.
There are engineers and companies that have already done it, Volvo had inline 6's mounted transversely not to long ago and some Chevy's, a Holden, and Suzuki in foreign markets used a Daewoo inline six mounted transversely. They even mounted a V12 transversely in the Lamborghini Miura.
Old 04-20-16, 01:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
There are engineers and companies that have already done it, Volvo had inline 6's mounted transversely not to long ago and some Chevy's, a Holden, and Suzuki in foreign markets used a Daewoo inline six mounted transversely. They even mounted a V12 transversely in the Lamborghini Miura.
Not to mention the VW VR6, which was mounted transversely for FWD. I still consider it a type of inline six, since it only had one cylinder head.
Old 04-20-16, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

So I wonder if these straight sixes will be TT or SC? The current 3.0 from Jaguar utilizes a SC good for 340hp and 380hp tunes.
Old 04-20-16, 04:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So I wonder if these straight sixes will be TT or SC? The current 3.0 from Jaguar utilizes a SC good for 340hp and 380hp tunes.
I will be very surprised if the I6 is supercharged.
Old 04-20-16, 04:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I will be very surprised if the I6 is supercharged.
I would be ecstatic if it were, that would be a unique and linear standout for the segments it would compete in. As it stands, I won't hold my breath, but fingers crossed
Old 04-20-16, 09:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I would be ecstatic if it were, that would be a unique and linear standout for the segments it would compete in. As it stands, I won't hold my breath, but fingers crossed
I doubt it would be supercharged, as I think a turbocharger uses less fuel(even a tiny amount is considered a savings with the draconian fuel economy standards coming up). The belt drive on the supercharger is always engaged, so its another source of drag on the engine, another accessory like an alternator or water pump that needs to be turned. Thus the engine uses fuel spinning the supercharger.

Although with the wonky way they test fuel economy(and how it sometimes results in much lower real world economy), who knows, maybe a supercharger does great on the fuel economy test provided you stay out of boost(I know that's how turbo motors are able to get better mileage ratings)
Old 04-21-16, 04:42 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I doubt it would be supercharged, as I think a turbocharger uses less fuel(even a tiny amount is considered a savings with the draconian fuel economy standards coming up). The belt drive on the supercharger is always engaged, so its another source of drag on the engine, another accessory like an alternator or water pump that needs to be turned. Thus the engine uses fuel spinning the supercharger.

Although with the wonky way they test fuel economy(and how it sometimes results in much lower real world economy), who knows, maybe a supercharger does great on the fuel economy test provided you stay out of boost(I know that's how turbo motors are able to get better mileage ratings)
Mercedes used a clutch on their superchargers back in the 'ole "55 AMG" days.
Old 04-21-16, 06:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

How about eT (Electric Turbocharging)?

Quick Reply: JLR to launch Ingenium straight-six engines