Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wards Auto Picks its 10 Best Interiors for 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 11:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default Wards Auto Picks its 10 Best Interiors for 2016

Some interesting choices here.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/wards...nteriors-2016/

In short:

2016 Audi TTS
2016 BMW 7 Series
2017 Cadillac XT5
2016 Chevrolet Camaro
2017 Chrysler Pacifica
2016 Honda Civic
2016 Lexus RX
2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC
2016 Nissan Maxima
2016 Volvo XC90
Old 04-15-16, 01:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting that they'd pick the Camaro, personally I can't stand the high windows, high dash, and poor visibility.
Old 04-15-16, 01:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I was a bit surprised by that choice as well, though I haven't had any time in the car myself. I had just read the review on C&D, so that's all I had to go on:

The bad news is the cave that the Camaro’s interior has become. While the sixth generation’s cockpit excels in functionality, the exterior designers hiked up the trousers and cocked the Camaro’s beret to leave little more than peepholes for spotting traffic. The front buckets provide excellent lateral and thigh support, though the slide into them includes a buttocks bite by the outboard seatbelt anchor. The front belts also serve as tripwires for those brave enough to attempt rear-seat entry. That’s a pity because the back perches are comfortable—except for their shortage of head, knee, and foot space.

Most of the interior is finished in hard, black plastic but executed nicely enough not to be oppressive. At least there’s no hassle using the reconfigurable instrument cluster, infotainment system, and climate controls. Twisting the oversized vent registers sets cabin temperature. A parking brake that automatically releases when you drive off is handy, and the options list includes a wireless charging pad and a head-up display.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review
Old 04-15-16, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Maybe so...but it would be nice to add windows to that interior one could actually SEE out of.

Old 04-15-16, 06:06 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sat inside 3 XT5s and all of them had wobbly cheap cup holder covers. I'm not sure how thorough they are with their assessments.
Old 04-15-16, 07:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That Camero interior is horrible.

In that class of car the mustang wins hands down.
Old 04-15-16, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they are just starting to pick interiors that have the latest "gimmicks". The Audi has the big nav screen in between the gages, and the A/C temperature adjustments on little buttons inside the air vents. The Camaro has the reconfigurable instrument cluster and the rings on the air vents that adjust temperature. The 7 series has the "hand gesture" to control various settings.

On the other hand, I think the RX wins the award on its own merits. Not the technology, but the design and materials. Same with the GLC and XC90. Beautiful interiors. Surprised to see the Maxima in there. I thought it was nice but a bit guady with all the shiny bits.
Old 04-15-16, 09:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I like the Maxima interior, minus the suede on the steering wheel in some models.

Also the Mustang interior is way nicer IMO, so is the Dodge Challenger.

Surprised they picked the 7 series over the S-class, I've sat in both and IMO there is no comparison. The Benz brings that level of fit/finish and design from a Bentley to a car that costs about $100,000 less. The Benz reminds me of the interior of a yacht, with all the wood, chrome, cream/beige leather, and big display screens.

Also, the Volvo XC90 is a damn nice place to sit, I'd say its on par with a Range Rover that costs $50,000 more.
Old 04-16-16, 04:58 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone surprised not to see the LX on the list??
Old 04-16-16, 10:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm surprised they picked the RX, I thought the RC has the best Lexus interior so far with a nice mix of sporty design and classy materials. The RX looks a bit plain on the inside.

I agree on the XC90, the airy minimalist design isn't as stark as a Model S' interior and it looks a lot more luxurious.
Old 04-17-16, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think they are just starting to pick interiors that have the latest "gimmicks". The Audi has the big nav screen in between the gages, and the A/C temperature adjustments on little buttons inside the air vents. The Camaro has the reconfigurable instrument cluster and the rings on the air vents that adjust temperature. The 7 series has the "hand gesture" to control various settings.

On the other hand, I think the RX wins the award on its own merits. Not the technology, but the design and materials. Same with the GLC and XC90. Beautiful interiors. Surprised to see the Maxima in there. I thought it was nice but a bit guady with all the shiny bits.
This list is just a list of new cars that have new interiors that are nice and new. Its not hard to pick 10 new interiors in any given year and say they are 10 best. Same thing with Ward's 10 Best engines.

Most cars are pretty competitive so most interiors are pretty good.
Old 04-17-16, 05:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
anyone surprised not to see the LX on the list??
Not at all. The smaller that true-full sized SUV cargo area and those stupid fixed third row seats are the likely reason for being excluded from the list.
Old 04-17-16, 06:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This list is just a list of new cars that have new interiors that are nice and new. Its not hard to pick 10 new interiors in any given year and say they are 10 best. Same thing with Ward's 10 Best engines.

Most cars are pretty competitive so most interiors are pretty good.
That would make sense based on the interiors, but if the 10 Best Engines category is new every year why has Nissan's V6 VQ engine been chosen 17 years in a row? The Maxima hasn't been refreshed that many times.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...-list-for-2016
Old 04-18-16, 07:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I'm surprised they picked the RX, I thought the RC has the best Lexus interior so far with a nice mix of sporty design and classy materials. The RX looks a bit plain on the inside.

I agree on the XC90, the airy minimalist design isn't as stark as a Model S' interior and it looks a lot more luxurious.
But that XC90 touchscreen and the lack of tactile buttons and dials is a head-down, ergonomic nightmare. No thanks!
Old 04-18-16, 09:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
But that XC90 touchscreen and the lack of tactile buttons and dials is a head-down, ergonomic nightmare. No thanks!
Steering wheel has a ton of tactile controls and it likely has voice control so no issue.

Quick Reply: Wards Auto Picks its 10 Best Interiors for 2016