Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S Refreshed

Old 04-14-16, 04:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I see, now I understand why the big makers haven't really moved into electric vehicles.
Because Tesla Motors has made a financial loss every year, and last year Tesla made an US$889 million dollar net loss.

Now I'm back to small capacity electric powered turbos, and gasoline-electric hybrids too.
If hybrids are good enough for Formula 1, they must be good enough for road cars.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-14-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 04:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Tesla is losing money because they are selling a low volume, high priced car while simultaneously building the Gigafactory and the supercharger infrastructure. They only sold 50,580 cars last year and that was a record for them. The make or break model for Tesla isn't the S or the X, it's the 3
Old 04-14-16, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Tesla is losing money because they are selling a low volume, high priced car while simultaneously building the Gigafactory and the supercharger infrastructure. They only sold 50,580 cars last year and that was a record for them. The make or break model for Tesla isn't the S or the X, it's the 3
they are losing money since they cant sell their green credits as much as they did before and because their cars are not profitable at this volume (or any reasonable, for now?).

Gigafactory is going slow, and they also need to expand on number of dealers and SC - so like any manufacturer, they will need to invest a lot more in the future. To expand their factory for Model 3, they will need to invest heavily into factory as well.

However, since Tesla is very desirable I dont have any doubts that they will be able to produce Model 3 in volume, they will find the money. I just hope that they become profitable so they can continue with innovation.
Old 04-14-16, 05:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

They're losing money because you're including the cost of capital and R&D into the price of the car. Tesla's gross profit per S sold is about 25% @ 20K units per year and they're going to try to get that up to 30% per Musk.
Old 04-14-16, 06:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Tesla.com

Model S gains similar front to Model X and some feature content
The front reminds me of what this would look like in 2016.
Attached Thumbnails Tesla Model S Refreshed-mercury-cougar.jpg  
Old 04-15-16, 01:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

So Tesla has made a loss every year, and last year their loss was 889 million dollars so that Giga factories could be built to increase Tesla's total assets to over 8 billion dollars.

By comparison, Toyota netted something like 24 billion dollars last year, while their total assets were estimated at over 441 billion.

Thus, I still feel that investing in Tesla is very risky.
I still feel that the major manufacturers will simply walk over Tesla by buying Tesla out, or Tesla just becoming a battery & electric motor supplier.

I feel that the refreshed Model S looks dreadful.
The Model X worse, and the Model 3 looks like some cheap Ford Festiva hatchback.

I think Tesla is gone.
It's not if, but when.

However I do believe that EV is in, and I wish Lexus would pull their fingers out, rather than producing an ugly hydrogen fuel cell Mirai that 0-60 in 9.0 seconds!
Old 04-15-16, 01:51 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Tesla.com

Model S gains similar front to Model X and some feature content
Looks incomplete. Everyone else is pushing for large/imposing grills so I think it's natural that Tesla would want to go the other way.
Old 04-16-16, 08:11 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
They're losing money because you're including the cost of capital and R&D into the price of the car. Tesla's gross profit per S sold is about 25% @ 20K units per year and they're going to try to get that up to 30% per Musk.
Why gross margin heads south when production volume rises? That should be the opposite.

https://ycharts.com/companies/TSLA/gross_profit_margin
Old 04-16-16, 08:34 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

Thus, I still feel that investing in Tesla is very risky.
!
investing in tesla has allowed me to buy two rental properties in Los Angeles, cash ....
Old 04-16-16, 03:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
investing in tesla has allowed me to buy two rental properties in Los Angeles, cash ....
I'm just afraid that may not be for long.

With, or without a grill, the Model S has always reminded me of this Ford:

Name:  2014_ford_fusion_angularfront_zpslpsau6fw.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 04-16-16, 06:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
Looks incomplete. Everyone else is pushing for large/imposing grills so I think it's natural that Tesla would want to go the other way.
The OCD car enthusiast in me can only think of all the rock chips this no-grille car will have on the front bumper after a year on the road.
Old 04-17-16, 05:42 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by nacke
Why gross margin heads south when production volume rises? That should be the opposite.

https://ycharts.com/companies/TSLA/gross_profit_margin
Chart doesn't split by model, but the issues they've had creating the Model X are well documented. I'm assuming the decrease in GP is related to those problems
Old 04-17-16, 06:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I see, now I understand why the big makers haven't really moved into electric vehicles.
Because Tesla Motors has made a financial loss every year, and last year Tesla made an US$889 million dollar net loss.

Now I'm back to small capacity electric powered turbos, and gasoline-electric hybrids too.
If hybrids are good enough for Formula 1, they must be good enough for road cars.
Amazon lacked quarterly and annual profitability for many years. Sometimes there is enough data to warrant looking past short-term profitability.

Tesla is heavily investing so losses are normal.
Old 04-17-16, 06:37 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here own a Tesla?

Our Model S is approaching 19k miles. No gas, no wasted time at the gas station, dont have to worry about my wife at a gas station in Chicago. No maintenance, dont need tires or brakes yet. Instantaneous acceleration, faster than my Supra and Aston. Only one trip to service center to fix passenger door handle not opening. Interior is rather plain, but thats my only complaint.

The Model 3 will change the industry. 3-series, C-class, A4, Es350, even Avalons will be impacted when the Model 3 arrives.
Old 04-18-16, 12:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Wish I had one They're the future of clean transport, especially if you have your own or community-owned renewable power generation systems. I won't miss gas stations at all.

The Model 3 should cover most drivers' daily range. I've rarely gone past 200 miles in a day anyway. For longer trips, a fast charger network would be great and Tesla already has that in most parts of the US.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Refreshed