Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive/Mini-Review: 2016 Toyota RAV-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 07:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not as much more, in actual dollars, than the gas version, compared to some other vehicles. But it will still take a lot of gas-savings, even at the current low price of gas, to recover that extra $2000-$4000 back.
Originally Posted by RX_330
Seriously, the difference is only $700 for identically equipped hybrid vs non-hybrid RAV4.
For American buyers, comparing a RAV4 XLE AWD model with equivalent trim level RAV4 Hybrid XLE (AWD standard), the premium for the Hybrid is only US$700. Comaparing the base RAV4 LE FWD model with the least expensive Hybrid model (the XLE Hybrid), the premium is US$4020 but that is not a fair, apples-to-apples comparison; $4020 not only buys you the extra hybrid drivetrain, but also features not available on the base LE model.

In contrast, in Canada, the premium of the XLE Hybrid over the comparable trim XLE AWD is Cdn$2815. Obviously, Toyota is trying to push the RAV4 Hybrid in the USA.
Old 04-06-16, 11:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

2013-2015 ride was awful and well documented complaint. They completely revised the suspension tuning on the 2016 and it's a completely different ride. Also added insulation and seals around to improve quietness.
Really??? I thought the ride was one of the best parts about the Rav4, very smooth. Of course I've only ridden in the base LE model with 16" tires.
Old 04-06-16, 11:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I spent some time today at our Eastern European local auto show in Rav4 and I gotta say that interior is much nicer place to be. Previously I thought interior was way too pedestrian, but 2016 update together with upper-mid spec level with alcantra on doors and front console, slightly redesigned HVAC, color 4.2" instrument screen, etc, etc, etc... all together it is actually nice now.

Diesel is not bad, of course problem is that I would load it up with equipment so it would end up somewhat expensive... but overall pretty good.
Old 04-06-16, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

2013-2015 ride was awful and well documented complaint. They completely revised the suspension tuning on the 2016 and it's a completely different ride. Also added insulation and seals around to improve quietness.
Agreed. I had no significant complaints with the ride comfort/quietness on the 2016 LE model with 65-series tires.
Old 04-06-16, 01:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Really??? I thought the ride was one of the best parts about the Rav4, very smooth. Of course I've only ridden in the base LE model with 16" tires.
could also be a difference between seating up front and at the back... back seats of Rav4 were always bumpy.
Old 04-06-16, 03:06 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Agreed. I had no significant complaints with the ride comfort/quietness on the 2016 LE model with 65-series tires.
We currently own a 2014 RAV4 XLE ourself and test drove a 2016 Limited Hybrid. Our chief complaints about the RAV4 was that it was 1) choppy riding, 2) loud, and 3) underpowered. We had really hoped the 16' in Hybrid Limited trim would resolve most of these issues. It did not. The ride is fine under most circumstances, but if you go over rough even roads especially with pot holes, it is very jarring and not like most Toyotas. Sound wise, Toyco has incrementally improved insulation a bit from before, but still much more than we expect for a volume seller. Lastly, while the Hybrid did slightly improve acceleration from a stop, it still feels underpowered for such a CUV. Interior wise, we don't like the redesign which seemingly as more plastics than before, although the new SE gauges are pretty snazzy. All in all, just a small iterative step forward for the 2016 model, and not really a compelling reason for us to upgrade, unfortunately.

ps - Car and Driver did a recent test on the SE and it reflects are thoughts precisely:
Old 04-06-16, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
We currently own a 2014 RAV4 XLE ourself and test drove a 2016 Limited Hybrid. Our chief complaints about the RAV4 was that it was 1) choppy riding, 2) loud, and 3) underpowered. We had really hoped the 16' in Hybrid Limited trim would resolve most of these issues. It did not. The ride is fine under most circumstances, but if you go over rough even roads especially with pot holes, it is very jarring and not like most Toyotas.
Where did you get 16" wheels for the 2016 Limited Hybrid? Toyota's own specs show 18" wheels and 55-series for that trim-version, at least in the American market. Those tires, all else equal, ride more firmly (and probably give better steering response) than the smaller 17" wheels and 65-series tires on the LE model I drove. That explains the firmer ride you mention.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 04:34 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review as always. Did you get a chance to sit in the 2016 Land Cruiser?

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 04-06-16 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Nice review.

FYI, many of the pictures are pre-refresh, and the overall interior shot is actually a Mazda CX-5.
Old 04-06-16, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Nice review.
Thanks.

and the overall interior shot is actually a Mazda CX-5.
Yep....sure was. Thanks again......I replaced it. I guess it's time for another cup of Starbucks French Roast (my favorite coffee) in the morning before I start typing LOL.

Seriously, Google interior/underhood/cargo-area images, in their data-base files, are getting so unreliably-marked and categorized that I may have to start taking my own cell-phone shots of the interiors and uploading them myself. It's more of a hassle when uploading, and the shots don't always come out well, but, apparently, in some cases, may still be worth it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-16 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

It's true
Old 04-06-16, 10:17 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Where did you get 16" wheels for the 2016 Limited Hybrid? Toyota's own specs show 18" wheels and 55-series for that trim-version, at least in the American market. Those tires, all else equal, ride more firmly (and probably give better steering response) than the smaller 17" wheels and 65-series tires on the LE model I drove. That explains the firmer ride you mention.
'16 = 2016, not 16". The LE and XLE previously had 17" wheels stock (with 18" on the Limited) so I am very familiar with the ride. It is quite jarring for a family type hauler. Our old 09' RAV4 model rode a little better. Anyhow, the new prices Toyco charges and without any discounts on the RAV4 is also a big negative. Our 14' RAV4 XLE was priced at $21k, but now they going for $26k+....ouch.
Old 04-06-16, 10:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks. I figured I should do a little more on this one than I did on the Rogue.

Are you referring to the new front end? I thought it looked like a scowling bulldog. Toyota seems to have a thing now with thin slit-upward slots and the big spindie (or spindle-effect) lower grilles. Well, I guess that's just the new company image, that's all.

It's not as much more, in actual dollars, than the gas version, compared to some other vehicles. But it will still take a lot of gas-savings, even at the current low price of gas, to recover that extra $2000-$4000 back.

Te best deal for a hybrid that I current know of is the Lincoln MKZ.....both versions start at the same list price. Even its sister Ford Fusion charges ore for the hybrid.

http://bp3.lincoln.com/2016-Lincoln-...ding=2#/Style/

Yeah, I found it someway confusing myself. For 2016 , there are actually several different gauge-clusters, depending on the trim model and configuration. For instance, my test LE model had a video bar-graph for the coolant-temperature gauge. Others had analog secondary gauges under the twin primary gauges. Still others had three primaries, with a big speedometer in the middle. It was, IMO, actually difficult to tell some of the 2015 patterns from the 2016.
I see the same scowling bulldog front face you do. I agree, it is not that attractive. I guess I am so jazzed over them painting the bumpers, that I overlooked the above. One of my biggest pet peeves is the recent trend of manufacturers cheapening out and not even including paint on basic body pieces that were once painted before. They pass this off as "sporty," but it's really an insult to those who have lived a little and seen how the past was. Maybe today's teen or college student wouldn't know it was once better as far as body paint goes.

The gauge packages is a bit confusing at this point. Toyota should just include one style gauge package for all gas versions and one style for all hybrid versions (like nearly all other makers do). To have a third style I would think is an extra expense for tooling and assembly line inefficiency . But I'm sure the bean counters did their thing and determined it was cheaper to have that third gauge package on the base model.
Old 04-07-16, 06:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The gauge packages is a bit confusing at this point. Toyota should just include one style gauge package for all gas versions and one style for all hybrid versions (like nearly all other makers do). To have a third style I would think is an extra expense for tooling and assembly line inefficiency . But I'm sure the bean counters did their thing and determined it was cheaper to have that third gauge package on the base model.
I, for one, applaud this move, if it means that the cost-cutting in the gauge display allows Toyota to give better-feeling dashboard and door panel materials (which everyone sees and everyone touches, regardless of the trim level); it means that Toyota is starting to learn how to hide its cost-cutting better. I believe that the lack of an LED trip computer display between the gauges is not going to be missed by cost-conscious buyers looking for the base RAV4; they likely won't even realize what they are missing.

This approach to cost-cutting is what Honda does: Give the top trim level all the little bells and whistles (includling such "minor", "hidden" things like a locking glovebox), start taking away the minor, "insignificant" bells and whistles bit by bit at each lower trim level until you have a bare-bones bottom trim level that still maintains the same perceived materials quality as the top trim level.
Old 04-07-16, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
'16 = 2016, not 16".
OK....Thanks for clearing that up. That was a misunderstanding on my part, too.

The LE and XLE previously had 17" wheels stock (with 18" on the Limited) so I am very familiar with the ride. It is quite jarring for a family type hauler. Our old 09' RAV4 model rode a little better. Anyhow, the new prices Toyco charges and without any discounts on the RAV4 is also a big negative. Our 14' RAV4 XLE was priced at $21k, but now they going for $26k+....ouch.
Was that 2014 XLE model brand-new, or a demo with some miles on it? If brand-new, that was indeed quite a bargain at 21K. You're right...new ones start at 25K with freight (before discounts), and that is for bare-bones FWD LE models. I tested an LE model, and wasn't that terribly impressed with it. I thought that, for about the same money, the Kia Sportage LX uses better materials and workmanship. (my brother has a 2015 Sportage he has been very pleased with).

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive/Mini-Review: 2016 Toyota RAV-4