Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive/Mini-Review: 2016 Toyota RAV-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 07:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for your input. Your comments about space efficiency inside are well-taken, even for a big person like me, though the front seats in the LE version could be just a tad wider for big rumps. I still find it annoying, though, to have to push flimsy buttons, adjust a flimsy-feeling tilt/telescope steering-column, swivel a flimsy-feeling outside mirror housing, or twirl small, loosely-attached and wobbly ***** to adjust the stereo functions.
Toyota plastics are cheap and gross lately. Went to the NY car show, sat in many of the current toyota cars and suvs, yes even the Prius Prime and the plastic and interiors are gawd awful. Thin, cheap and flimsy. The new Land Cruisers are nice though. Their cars are selling so I doubt they see a need to improve much.
Old 04-05-16, 08:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

As I have said before, Toyota needs to learn how to hide their cost-cutting. They are getting better, as seen in the materials of the upper dashboard in the RAV4, but other manufacturers -- like Honda -- do it better. Toyota needs to find out what little items and features (perhaps ones hidden from easy view) they can remove from lower-priced models and trim lines, ones that they can add, bit by bit, to each higher trim line until the top trim line XLE, Limited, etc. gets all the snazzy features.

One other thing about the RAV4 that I do not like is the narrow rear seat. It is too narrow to seat three across, especially if one of those is sitting in a child booster seat; it is a wide car with a narrow rear seat. My wife does not believe me. She looks at the RAV4 or Lexus NX and thinks that they are big vehicles and then asks why I need such a large vehicle.
Old 04-05-16, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think that's where the upgrade to the Limited and, to a lesser extent, the XLE come in.

I don't think my parents have ever swiveled their mirrors in (I've never tried it on their RAV4) so I don't think that's an issue for them, but I agree they should not be flimsy.
Swiveling the mirror-housings can come in handy in tight places, or when you are washing the vehicle so that you don't keep bumping into them.

So all in all, I am in agreement with most of the points that you make, but just wanted to reiterate that I find the upgrades in the Limited model to be substantial and believe they address at least some of your concerns.
The XLE and Limited do have better-looking trim and more power equipment than the LE...there's no question about that (and they should, given the extra cost). But, from what I can tell, much of that better-looking, more glittery trim is done the same way that GM used to do it......a simple coat of good-looking finish on top of the same old cheap plastic underneath.
Old 04-05-16, 02:17 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey! you snuck some pics of a 2015 in there

anyways, maybe i missed it, but what did you think of the ride quality specifiaclly?

I was in the back seat of a friends 2014 XLE and found the ride to be very harsh...
Also, my sister has had 2 RAV-4's, and recently went with a CRV and likes the ride much better.
Old 04-05-16, 02:18 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. In 2016 thus far, Rav4 is outselling everyone in its class. The refresh and addition of the hybrid option seems to have been well received in the market.
Old 04-05-16, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My parents are on their second RAV4 (first a '12 and now a '13). Their current one is a Limited AWD model.

I've spent a considerable amount of time with it. I think it's a fantastic vehicle. I am always surprised by the room inside, especially rear seat and cargo volume.

As for driving, there are some 4 cylinder vibrations at idle but overall I find it a very quiet and smooth ride. I'm impressed with it every time I drive it - to the point that we are thinking of picking up a hybrid one for a commuter for my wife.

Yes, some of the interior materials are hard plastic, but it just doesn't bother me much, as they are located in places that you don't really touch (lower door panels, console, etc.). The seats, especially in the limited, are quite comfortable, outward vision is great, and gas mileage is competitive. It's well equipped with items like BSM, nav, heated seats, push-button start, and dual zone auto climate control. My parents are still very happy with it.

We have some friends who have an XLE version and they are very happy with theirs as well.
2016 update is nip and tuck, not too much inside but it has some nice features now although it is still looking a bit cheap. I like exterior design a lot better now, especially Sport model.

But as you say, it is very, very usable vehicle and thats why it is having record sales. It is focused on usability vs almost everything else on the market and now their "problem" is that they cant produce enough hence big plant expansion in Canada... about half of Rav4's in the USA are currently imported from Japan.
Old 04-05-16, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4

anyways, maybe i missed it, but what did you think of the ride quality specifiaclly?

I was in the back seat of a friends 2014 XLE and found the ride to be very harsh...
Also, my sister has had 2 RAV-4's, and recently went with a CRV and likes the ride much better.
In general, the CR-V does have a smoother ride, but the LE RAV-4's, IMO, wasn't bad at all. The tall 65-series tires on the LE model help some by providing more of a cushion of rubber to help absorb the bumps. As is also the case with many vehicles, upmarket versions of the RAV-4 come with lower-profile tires that, all else equal, benefit handling and steering response at the cost of ride comfort and impact-protection for the wheels.
Old 04-05-16, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Nice review.
Thanks.

In 2016 thus far, Rav4 is outselling everyone in its class. The refresh and addition of the hybrid option seems to have been well received in the market.
The RAV-4 has always been extremely popular. In fact, when it was first introduced, it was so popular that dealers were able to charge more than list.
Old 04-05-16, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
As I have said before, Toyota needs to learn how to hide their cost-cutting. They are getting better, as seen in the materials of the upper dashboard in the RAV4, but other manufacturers -- like Honda -- do it better. Toyota needs to find out what little items and features (perhaps ones hidden from easy view) they can remove from lower-priced models and trim lines, ones that they can add, bit by bit, to each higher trim line until the top trim line XLE, Limited, etc. gets all the snazzy features.
As I was doing the review, I was thinking about some of those earlier comments you had made (yes, I remember them). Of course, I come to my own conclusions, but I have generally noticed the same things in other recent Toyotas. Considering its cost, I found the new Avalon especially disappointing in that regard.

At the other end of the spectrum (among mass-produced vehicles) seems to be Audi. In general, (almost) everything inside and outside of their vehicles looks and feels like it was hand-crafted by Santa's Elves.
Old 04-05-16, 04:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

But as you say, it is very, very usable vehicle and thats why it is having record sales. It is focused on usability vs almost everything else on the market and now their "problem" is that they cant produce enough hence big plant expansion in Canada... about half of Rav4's in the USA are currently imported from Japan.
I'd say it(and the Honda CR-V) are the roomiest SUV you can buy unless you step up and start spending some big bucks on something like a Grand Cherokee, Highlander, 4Runner, etc. It is a lot of car for the $$$$, especially if you buy the base model and forgo all the "frosting" on the XLE or Limited.

Also no surprise they can't meet demand. They sold 315,000 of them last year in the US according to Wikipedia. Just for comparsion Toyota sells about 400,000 Camrys annually.
Old 04-05-16, 08:04 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
One other thing about the RAV4 that I do not like is the narrow rear seat. It is too narrow to seat three across, especially if one of those is sitting in a child booster seat; it is a wide car with a narrow rear seat. My wife does not believe me. She looks at the RAV4 or Lexus NX and thinks that they are big vehicles and then asks why I need such a large vehicle.

Agreed, I found it strange that the RAV4 and Rogue have similar exterior widths but the Toyota has a narrower rear seat. I tried fitting a child seat in the middle and it left barely any room for the side seats in the RAV4; the Rogue had a lot more usable seat space. The soft touch plastics on the Rogue felt softer and more substantial and the hard plastic bits were also thicker.
Old 04-05-16, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Excellent review! The facelift really brought the vehicle up a notch or two in my opinion. The hybrid, for the money, is a good deal.
Just an FYI, your pics of the gauge cluster and rear-end are of the 2015 model, not the much improved 2016 model. I only bring this up because they really added a nicer, new gauge package for the new year.
Old 04-05-16, 10:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Excellent review!
Thanks. I figured I should do a little more on this one than I did on the Rogue.

The facelift really brought the vehicle up a notch or two in my opinion.
Are you referring to the new front end? I thought it looked like a scowling bulldog. Toyota seems to have a thing now with thin slit-upward slots and the big spindie (or spindle-effect) lower grilles. Well, I guess that's just the new company image, that's all.

the hybrid, for the money, is a good deal.
It's not as much more, in actual dollars, than the gas version, compared to some other vehicles. But it will still take a lot of gas-savings, even at the current low price of gas, to recover that extra $2000-$4000 back.

Te best deal for a hybrid that I current know of is the Lincoln MKZ.....both versions start at the same list price. Even its sister Ford Fusion charges ore for the hybrid.

http://bp3.lincoln.com/2016-Lincoln-...ding=2#/Style/

Just an FYI, your pics of the gauge cluster and rear-end are of the 2015 model, not the much improved 2016 model. I only bring this up because they really added a nicer, new gauge package for the new year.
Yeah, I found it someway confusing myself. For 2016 , there are actually several different gauge-clusters, depending on the trim model and configuration. For instance, my test LE model had a video bar-graph for the coolant-temperature gauge. Others had analog secondary gauges under the twin primary gauges. Still others had three primaries, with a big speedometer in the middle. It was, IMO, actually difficult to tell some of the 2015 patterns from the 2016.
Old 04-06-16, 06:46 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

It's not as much more, in actual dollars, than the gas version, compared to some other vehicles. But it will still take a lot of gas-savings, even at the current low price of gas, to recover that extra $2000-$4000 back.
Seriously, the difference is only $700 for identically equipped hybrid vs non-hybrid RAV4.

Yeah, I found it someway confusing myself. For 2016 , there are actually several different gauge-clusters, depending on the trim model and configuration. For instance, my test LE model had a video bar-graph for the coolant-temperature gauge. Others had analog secondary gauges under the twin primary gauges. Still others had three primaries, with a big speedometer in the middle. It was, IMO, actually difficult to tell some of the 2015 patterns from the 2016.
Only the 2016 LE has the carryover gauge cluster from the 2015 year. The XLE, SE, and Limited all have the same twin gauge cluster, the only difference is the color of the gauges is different on the three. The Hybrids have twin gauge cluster as well but instead of a tachometer it's a power meter.
Old 04-06-16, 06:52 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
hey! you snuck some pics of a 2015 in there

2013-2015 ride was awful and well documented complaint. They completely revised the suspension tuning on the 2016 and it's a completely different ride. Also added insulation and seals around to improve quietness.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive/Mini-Review: 2016 Toyota RAV-4