Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 07:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Are they even going to have enough cash to build 300k+ cars?
You think auto makers build 300,000 cars first and then people buy them all instantly?
Old 04-05-16, 09:45 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You think auto makers build 300,000 cars first and then people buy them all instantly?
No, of course not but its not like people are pre-paying for cars so cash is going to be needed up front to build cars before they see sales revenue. Tesla isn't exactly plush with cash reserves - I've heard/read that all the pre-order money is about 2 months of cash burn for them. If they keep missing delivery estimates on current Model X orders you'd have to believe additional financing - if needed - will be harder to come by in both the debt and equity markets.
Old 04-05-16, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
No, of course not but its not like people are pre-paying for cars so cash is going to be needed up front to build cars before they see sales revenue. Tesla isn't exactly plush with cash reserves - I've heard/read that all the pre-order money is about 2 months of cash burn for them. If they keep missing delivery estimates on current Model X orders you'd have to believe additional financing - if needed - will be harder to come by in both the debt and equity markets.
A current issue with the Model X deliveries is a "severe" parts shortage. According to an official release, Tesla is blaming its own "hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X" and its inability to alleviate certain parts shortages by manufacturing them in-house.
Old 04-05-16, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A current issue with the Model X deliveries is a "severe" parts shortage. According to an official release, Tesla is blaming its own "hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X" and its inability to alleviate certain parts shortages by manufacturing them in-house.
well yeah, also they delivered less of Model S, but apparently they have more orders. So Model X is affecting Model S deliveries? Hmmm.
Old 04-05-16, 10:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
No offense, but are you old enough to remember the GM X-Body FWD compacts of 1980-1985? (I myself owned a Chevy Citation). Demand for the Citation, in its first year, was so strong that Chevy alone (not including the three other versions from Buick/Olds/Pontiac) that Chevy sold more than 800,000 of them....yes, in one year alone. It surpassed even the insanely popular Ford Mustang of the mid-60s.
Old 04-05-16, 10:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense, but are you old enough to remember the GM X-Body FWD compacts of 1980-1985? (I myself owned a Chevy Citation). Demand for the Citation, in its first year, was so strong that Chevy alone (not including the three other versions from Buick/Olds/Pontiac) that Chevy sold more than 800,000 of them....yes, in one year alone. It surpassed even the insanely popular Ford Mustang of the mid-60s.
His point was not that Tesla will not be able to sell 300K vehicles. He was referring to the other post about how Tesla will not have enough cash to build 300K vehicles, but his point was that they will sell while they make and will thus have the capital.
Old 04-06-16, 07:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
His point was not that Tesla will not be able to sell 300K vehicles. He was referring to the other post about how Tesla will not have enough cash to build 300K vehicles, but his point was that they will sell while they make and will thus have the capital.
Thanks, yes this exactly.
Old 10-19-16, 06:12 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musk Confirms Tesla Model 3 Sold Out For First Year Of Production

Elon Musk has taken to Twitter to reveal that the first 12 months of Tesla Model 3 production is sold out.

The company's co-founder revealed the news in response to an article fromFortune Magazine stating that new Model 3 reservations won't arrive until mid-2018 at the earliest.

While an exact date for when production will commence has yet to be announced, Tesla's website says that production will begin in mid-2017 and that the first examples will reach customer hands in the second half of next year.

Back in May, Tesla confirmed that it had received 373,000 reservations for its upcoming entry-level model but no new figure has been announced since. In all likelihood, reservations now exceed the 400,000 mark.

When it hits the market, the Model 3 will be priced from $35,000 before any incentives are applied but could drop as low as $27,500 for customers who receive the full $7,500 tax credit. While the car has yet to be revealed in production-guise, Tesla announced at its unveiling that the model will have a range of at least 215 miles (346 km).
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/mus...-sold-out.html
Old 10-19-16, 07:32 PM
Hoovey689

I'm pretty mad at myself for not getting a picture in time. I work in Fremont near where the Tesla factory is. Tonight I saw a white Model 3 at an intersection as it was going straight opposite way and me taking a left. Car looked good, headlights had a big LED strip on the top portion, and several smaller LED's in sequence underneath like eyes. Nothing was covered so who knows how close to production it was. I'll be sure to have my camera ready next time.
Old 10-21-16, 06:33 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm pretty mad at myself for not getting a picture in time. I work in Fremont near where the Tesla factory is. Tonight I saw a white Model 3 at an intersection as it was going straight opposite way and me taking a left. Car looked good, headlights had a big LED strip on the top portion, and several smaller LED's in sequence underneath like eyes. Nothing was covered so who knows how close to production it was. I'll be sure to have my camera ready next time.
I saw a black one on Van Ness Ave in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, so there are at least a few prototypes running around.
Old 07-03-17, 05:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first Model 3's are set to roll off the Tesla production line this Friday. And then in late July the first 30 customers get to take possession of their cars in celebration party. But they are having production glitches with battery pack production issues and of course, Tesla is losing money but it is a start.

It's a $35K car with the credit it comes to $27K. 235 mile range and nice styling, but now the question will be how Tesla will deal with entering a market where Lexus and other car makers have a lot more experience with quality control and automated manufacturing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/b...k.html?mcubz=2

To prepare for the addition of the Model 3 to its lineup, Tesla built a huge, $5 billion factory in Nevada to produce batteries for its electric cars. Tesla has also bolstered its coffers. This year, it raised $1 billion through offerings of stock and debt. A Chinese internet giant, Tencent Holdings, acquired a 5 percent stake in the company.The company needs the extra capital because it continues to post losses in most quarters. In the first quarter of this year, Tesla lost $397 million, compared with a loss of $282 million in the period a year earlier, but its revenue more than doubled, to $2.7 billion.Even with the swoon in shares Monday, investor optimism about the Model 3 has pushed Tesla shares up about 65 percent this year. The company has a market value of $58 billion, about $4 billion more than G.M. and $12 billion more than Ford Motor.
Old 09-28-17, 04:28 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Musk is REALLY trying to usher in the age of fully autonomous driving. It is insane how many controls are handled on the screen. Too many if you ask me.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/27/...oth-streaming/
Old 09-28-17, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

Default Tesla Model 3 currently has no FM radio and no bluetooth streaming!!!

Just wow, I would be livid if I purchased a Model 3 and there was no BTA streaming capability from the get go. What are the odds Tesla stores told their guests it wouldn't be available initially.

One item sure to generate controversy is the complete lack of a radio. At present, the Tesla Model 3 has no FM radio (AM is completely unsupported), and no streaming of music through a phone or any other electronic device. The only way to play music in the Model 3, at least for now, is to use a third-party streaming service over the car's 4G internet connection. In the end, this won't be too big of an issue, as an over-the-air update is planned that will enable FM radio and bluetooth streaming, and it's thought to be coming very soon.
Source
Old 09-28-17, 06:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

In the end, this won't be too big of an issue, as an over-the-air update is planned that will enable FM radio and bluetooth streaming, and it's thought to be coming very soon.
Doesn't seem like it's actually a problem.
Old 09-28-17, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Musk is REALLY trying to usher in the age of fully autonomous driving. It is insane how many controls are handled on the screen. Too many if you ask me.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/27/...oth-streaming/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl7A-9dGSb0
It's also interesting to see just how many critical functions the touchscreen is used to control. For instance, there are no manual air vent controls. Instead, a sub-menu has to be entered to change the direction and speed or air flow. The windshield wiper controls, too, can only be adjusted through the touchscreen. Everything from the climate controls to the audio volume is adjusted through this one large screen, though there are two buttons on the steering wheel that can be customized as the owner sees fit.
Even the windshield wipers have to be adjusted through that touchscreen.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3