Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 04:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We currently have email thread going on at work with all the current Tesla owners and everyone who put down money for a Model III. I think I'm the only one who won't be a Tesla owner by 2019.
Old 04-01-16, 05:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I doubt Tesla is going to sell this at profit so there is a large difference there. I wonder what kind of supply it will have, more than Model S or less?
There's more to making or breaking Tesla than how much profit is made on each car. If this works, the credibility they will gain will be immense, and will bolster everything else they do.
Old 04-01-16, 07:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow Teslas is literally giving every other automaker a blueprint and a year and a half to release something similar. Secondly, if they are having trouble delivering their low volume models, how are they going to deliver high volume products? Even if the giga factory comes on line on schedule, there will always be teething problems initially. it's good they are succeeding in getting so much hype and orders. Let's hope they can deliver.
Old 04-01-16, 07:50 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what the price is in Canadian $? With the current exchange it is at $45k. Which is good-ish for a car that that can do 320 km before charging.
Old 04-01-16, 07:57 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I will say that the allure of the Tesla is weakened when everybody and their mom has a three
It was never its intent to be a ferrari, its a car for the masses.
Old 04-01-16, 08:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I hope the overall interior fit and finish is better. I haven't been all that impressed with the Model S that I've been in
Old 04-01-16, 08:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Wow Teslas is literally giving every other automaker a blueprint and a year and a half to release something similar. Secondly, if they are having trouble delivering their low volume models, how are they going to deliver high volume products? Even if the giga factory comes on line on schedule, there will always be teething problems initially. it's good they are succeeding in getting so much hype and orders. Let's hope they can deliver.
This is definitely a big question mark. They're trying to hit multiple, interlinked, and moving targets at once. The first Model 3's will go to Tesla employees, and then to current Tesla owners (who are generally rabid fanboys) and then to the general public. So the first Model 3s, which will undoubtedly be fairly rough beta-type vehicles, will be somewhat to a controlled audience that is pro-Tesla. I think that's good for them, but can mean that Tesla still won't be exposed to the "masses" for quite a while.

But bravo to Tesla. Is this one of the first instances in a car getting a substantial amount of some development costs "crowdfunded" with this elongated deposit/order cycle?
Old 04-01-16, 09:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I hope the overall interior fit and finish is better. I haven't been all that impressed with the Model S that I've been in
Well, it is going to be a lot worse in Model 3 since it is a lot cheaper car... today's reveal is basically a concept vehicle, it looks like pretty "poor" interior but that will likely change before production vehicle.

If they start selling them in 2 years at $45k before tax breaks, it is pretty nice... basically it is like Bolt pricing except it is much bigger vehicle, faster, nicer.

Of course, there will likely be $80k model... A lot of people are expecting they will all be sold at $35k after tax break, but just like with every other car model, most sold config will likely be over $50k.
Old 04-01-16, 09:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
But bravo to Tesla. Is this one of the first instances in a car getting a substantial amount of some development costs "crowdfunded" with this elongated deposit/order cycle?
There was that 3 wheel car that still isnt delivered?

But yes... great fanbase that will do whatever Musk tells them to... which is very good for the company. Big screena and good performance is all they need (0-60 in under 6s is very nice).
Old 04-01-16, 09:27 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Autonomous is included as standard. Sold! They just need to improve the interior dramatically though. I don't care if they call it minimalist, no steering wheel controls, no speedometer? Maybe HUD? Now for the wait...
Old 04-01-16, 12:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, it is going to be a lot worse in Model 3 since it is a lot cheaper car... today's reveal is basically a concept vehicle, it looks like pretty "poor" interior but that will likely change before production vehicle.

If they start selling them in 2 years at $45k before tax breaks, it is pretty nice... basically it is like Bolt pricing except it is much bigger vehicle, faster, nicer.

Of course, there will likely be $80k model... A lot of people are expecting they will all be sold at $35k after tax break, but just like with every other car model, most sold config will likely be over $50k.
I expect the trim and bits to be worse (material wise) given the price difference, but the Model S had some trim gaps that just didn't belong in a car that expensive. This is going to be their 4th stab at building a car so hopefully they had some good lessons learned between the Roadster and the X
Old 04-01-16, 12:35 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

highly underwhelming

the front is weird looking, the interior is bland, over all the car is boring and underwhelming..

IMO a fail..
Old 04-01-16, 12:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've already seen it. Looks like a Tesla. This model has certainly brought out the hype though! I'm not a big Tesla fan so I'll just sit here and wait to see how this plays out over the next 3-4 years.

The sales of this vehicle are critical to Tesla's survival.
already 115,000 pre-orders for the 3.
Old 04-01-16, 12:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
already 115,000 pre-orders for the 3.
198,000 pre orders ...
Old 04-01-16, 12:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
3 points:

1) tesla loses a fortune on every vehicle it currently sells.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/10/t...-each-model-s/

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3