Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 09:04 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
so it doesn't look half bad. The front end is very porsche like which is a good thing. The only problem i have is with the blunt nose. Interior is super minimalistic and looks good but will need to see more pictures. I do agree though that at this price range, it is a killer deal. Plus, there might still be EV incentives from the government.
I guess Tesla is not expecting us to look through the rear glass anymore? Visibility looks terrible from this angle!

The car looks good though and the landscape style screen is interesting. Can't wait for the high res pics.
Attached Thumbnails Tesla Model 3-photo383.jpg   Tesla Model 3-photo252.jpg   Tesla Model 3-photo887.jpg  
Old 03-31-16, 09:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Not in love with the looks inside or out, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want one. It reminds me of the cars from the movie Demolition Man. Lol.

Sounds like it will be a steal for $35 k. Also, 115k+ preorders in less than 24 hours is retarded. Will be a smashing success!
Old 03-31-16, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why? More expensive vehicles are likely far more important to their bottom line.
I doubt Tesla is going to sell this at profit so there is a large difference there. I wonder what kind of supply it will have, more than Model S or less?
3 points:

1) tesla loses a fortune on every vehicle it currently sells.

2) tesla used the original model sports car (can't remember model name now) to get a toe in the water in tiny volume to get some experience. then the model s came to be more widely desired and gain more experience. the x (suv) is next and the 3 is aimed at bringing volume sales, and hopefully, finally, a profit.

3) just because lexus may make the most money per unit on an lx570 perhaps doesn't mean the vast corolla's sales aren't important to the profit picture! tesla NEEDS a volume model to succeed in order to survive. musk has said so from the get go.
Old 03-31-16, 09:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

tesla is like the apple equivalent in the car industry. I almost want to give them my $1000 after that PR. Too bad I can't wait 2 - 2.5 years for this car.
Old 03-31-16, 09:10 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't start deliveries until end of next year? Imagine how many pre-orders there'll be in a year and half if they already have 115k+ within 24hrs! I agree the front (except nose) looks very Porche like.

I'm sure this is just a quick mock-up unveil so I hope the interior actually has more to it once it's released. I didn't even see a cluster for speed so things will surely change.

Doesn't look half bad for a $35k Tesla!
Old 03-31-16, 09:12 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
3 points:

1) tesla loses a fortune on every vehicle it currently sells.

2) tesla used the original model sports car (can't remember model name now) to get a toe in the water in tiny volume to get some experience. then the model s came to be more widely desired and gain more experience. the x (suv) is next and the 3 is aimed at bringing volume sales, and hopefully, finally, a profit.

3) just because lexus may make the most money per unit on an lx570 perhaps doesn't mean the vast corolla's sales aren't important to the profit picture! tesla NEEDS a volume model to succeed in order to survive. musk has said so from the get go.
Do they lose money on every vehicle they sell? Im not sure that is true anymore. Regardless, Elon doesn't really need the 3 to survive, its about this trying to accelerate sustainable mobility.

I find it hilarious though that when he talked about this gigafactory tonight, he said it will have the "largest footprint" of any building in the world, out producing all the current Li Ion battery factories combined. Not sure about the environmental impact from this building, but it sounds like like it would be huge.
Old 03-31-16, 09:13 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Won't start deliveries until end of next year? Imagine how many pre-orders there'll be in a year and half if they already have 115k+ within 24hrs! I agree the front (except nose) looks very Porche like.

I'm sure this is just a quick mock-up unveil so I hope the interior actually has more to it once it's released. I didn't even see a cluster for speed so things will surely change.

Doesn't look half bad for a $35k Tesla!
Im thinking it will be HUD, hence no instrument cluster.
Old 03-31-16, 09:26 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, that makes sense as he did say instruments are more condense to allow the front seats to move up. That'd be awesome to have a HUD on this thing.
Old 03-31-16, 09:36 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Love the roof. Love the car. Thank you Elon, for all my profit taking from your stocks over the years.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1dRKZyRkpgNxB
Old 03-31-16, 09:47 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Full screen HUD? $1000 well spent.
Old 03-31-16, 10:14 PM
RXSF

I will say that the allure of the Tesla is weakened when everybody and their mom has a three
Old 03-31-16, 10:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there is already congestion at SCs... they will like charge cheaper models $2500 for SC access anyway so...
Supercharging access is standard, even at the $35,000 car. And they committed to doubling superchargers by the end of next year, with even more of their "destination charging points"

I doubt Tesla is going to sell this at profit so there is a large difference there. I wonder what kind of supply it will have, more than Model S or less?
As Lexus2000 noted, Tesla is making a lot of investments to be able to bring costs down to be able to sell this vehicle at a profit.
Old 03-31-16, 10:42 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a Panamera meets a Model X. I wouldn't mind getting one. I'd just be scared driving it in heavy snow.
Old 04-01-16, 12:37 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I will say that the allure of the Tesla is weakened when everybody and their mom has a three
Throw some rims on it and a body kit and you'll stand out among the many Tesla's out there, lol
Old 04-01-16, 02:58 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Knocks it way out of the ball park, at least for me. I love the fastback rear end and the Panamera-esque front. The interior looks like minimalism gone utterly mad but it could well work - put most frequently used data on a HUD and have everything else controlled by that iPad Pro on the center console They could even do BMW-style gesture control for common functions. This thing makes the Bolt look lumpy and the Volt seem a little pointless. The next Nissan Leaf could be a serious competitor, seeing how many have been sold already.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3