Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS

Well, I got an interesting surprise this afternoon. A retired ex-co-worker (he's on my auto-review mailing list) sent me some pictures of his brand-new 2016 Camaro SS. (yes, the superb all-new version done on the Cadillac ATS platform). He's had Firebirds and Corvettes before, but said he didn't want another 'Vette (since he's roughly my age now, he's probably tired of having to stoop and raise / lower himself into a car that sits an inch off the ground). So, he chose a new SS....something that, of course, sits low enough as it is.

I'll post the pictures of it that he sent me for now, and if I get a chance to ride in it soon (he lives in suburban MD near D.C., not that far from me), I'll do a static review.

(Click on each image to enlarge it)
Attached Thumbnails My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS-img_1269.jpg   My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS-img_1270.jpg   My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS-img_1271.jpg  

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 02:26 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

gorgeous interior
Old 03-30-16, 02:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the details of the rear brake light is nice. A squished effect, as if trying to take the normal lights and squishing them down to a lower profile. Definitely deserves a test run. The last model did not live up to my expectations compared to the Mustang.
Old 03-30-16, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
The last model did not live up to my expectations compared to the Mustang.
The Mustang, in the past (though its ancient live axle didn't help), had an edge in the handling department over the Camaro, from being smaller, lighter, and less nose-heavy up front. The new Camaro SS still had a bigger engine up front (and out-torques the Mustang GT), but is otherwise completely transformed by the new ATS-based platform. Reviewers say it now out-handles the latest Mustang, at the cost of some ride comfort............which is perhaps not surprising, considering that the ATS itself is now besting the BMW 3-series in that department.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
gorgeous interior
One thing the new Camaro has, that didn't show up in his interior shot, is the hot/cold temperature adjustment for the climate control built into the chrome vent-rims. You twist the big outer edges of the vents clockwise or counterclockwise to make hot or cold air blow out of the vent. It's a neat idea, except that the shifter is right behind the vents, and, with max A/C on, will blow ice-cold air on your hands when you're shifting, or blast-furnace heat with the heater fully warm.

Old 03-30-16, 02:50 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I have seen that before. Definitely a neat trick.

Agree that the blower fans are too low
Old 03-30-16, 04:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing the new Camaro has, that didn't show up in his interior shot, is the hot/cold temperature adjustment for the climate control built into the chrome vent-rims. You twist the big outer edges of the vents clockwise or counterclockwise to make hot or cold air blow out of the vent. It's a neat idea, except that the shifter is right behind the vents, and, with max A/C on, will blow ice-cold air on your hands when you're shifting, or blast-furnace heat with the heater fully warm.

Copied from a 12 year old BMW... My 2005 e46 has that control on the center vents.

Last edited by chikoo; 03-30-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Copied from a 12 year old BMW... My 2005 e46 has that control on the center vents.
Yes.....I haven't reviewed a new 2016 Camaro, but I tried out those controls at the January D.C. auto show, and, though they are slick-operating with a smooth feel, i wasn't impressed with the general design....especially that low on the dash and console.
Old 03-31-16, 02:52 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Certainly looks better every design.... But I still think the mustang looks better, but from the reviews the Chevy always seems to one up the Ford in performance. But the ford always seems to outsell the Chevy and that's ultimately all what's matters
Old 03-31-16, 02:54 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey are those 20" tires on your buddy's Chevy? Nice look!
Old 03-31-16, 05:01 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nice, What are the stock numbers on the SS?
Old 03-31-16, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Very nice, What are the stock numbers on the SS?
Not sure what you mean by "stock" numbers. You mean the 0-60, braking, skidpad, slalom, etc....? That, of course, would spend on who is testing the car and under what conditions.
Old 03-31-16, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Ikon
Certainly looks better every design.... But I still think the mustang looks better, but from the reviews the Chevy always seems to one up the Ford in performance. But the ford always seems to outsell the Chevy and that's ultimately all what's matters
My colleague, though (his name is Brian) has tended to be more of a GM fan over the years, though, than of Ford. He's also owned a Firebird and Corvette.
Old 03-31-16, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

awesome car and love the color, wheels. etc. man a camaro never looked so good.

and Diesel, check out the Motor Trend video in other thread on M4 vs SS and see the SS equals or wins in every way. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-the-m4-4.html
Old 03-31-16, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awesome car and love the color, wheels. etc. man a camaro never looked so good.
It's also a lot easier for my relatively MacAir PC to upload cell-phone and digital-camera shots like this onto forum threads/posts than it was with my old Sony....which, by today's standards, belongs in a museum LOL. Some people have asked me why I don't do that more on auto reviews, rather than just relying on Google and Bing-images....and yes, it's a valid question. I might be able to do more of actual-shot posting in the future.

Quick Reply: My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS