Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My ex-co-worker comes home with a new Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Those are some nice features.
He's always been more into the aggressive, high-performance stuff than I have. Although I occasionally review and test-drive sports and high-performance machines myself, and, in some cases, enjoy the twisties and punching it once in a while (after all, I am a car-enthusiast), aggressive driving is not really my forte. Even though, as a teen-ager, like most teens at the time, I liked the American muscle-cars I grew up with in the 1960s, I also liked big luxo-cruisers, which some (not all) of my peers laughed off as Granda/Grandma machines. I look at driving as basically something relaxing and enjoying (despite the horrible D.C.-area traffic)...not to project a macho image or get one's jollies off trying to drag-race.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-16 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-02-16, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Out of politeness, I didn't ask him what he paid (and he didn't volunteer it). But, when the new Camaros debuted several years ago, SS models (when you could get them at all) had a second sticker on them with BIG markups, just like with Shelby Mustangs and SRT-8 Challengers. I remember seeing one 6MT SS in the showroom, listing at some 38K, where they were asking somewhere between 55-60K (don't remember exactly how much...I think 58 or 59). Since this is another all-new model this year, I wouldn't be surprised is there were also some markups, though probably not to the extent of several years ago, since, back then, Camaros were just coming back into the market after a number of years of absence.
Old 04-02-16, 07:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Out of politeness, I didn't ask him what he paid (and he didn't volunteer it). But, when the new Camaros debuted several years ago, SS models (when you could get them at all) had a second sticker on them with BIG markups, just like with Shelby Mustangs and SRT-8 Challengers. I remember seeing one 6MT SS in the showroom, listing at some 38K, where they were asking somewhere between 55-60K (don't remember exactly how much...I think 58 or 59). Since this is another all-new model this year, I wouldn't be surprised is there were also some markups, though probably not to the extent of several years ago, since, back then, Camaros were just coming back into the market after a number of years of absence.
just ask how much he got off MSRP
Old 04-03-16, 01:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

6th gen Camaro sales have been kind of sluggish actually. Not sure if that's because they haven't ramped up production yet, lousy winter weather, or lack of demand.

Also a car like his, loaded to the gills SS has a sticker of around 45-50k
Old 04-03-16, 02:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Very nice, What are the stock numbers on the SS?
equal performance to M4

Old 04-07-16, 10:00 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Caged Animal @ my work place

Old 04-07-16, 10:08 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

One thing the new Camaro has, that didn't show up in his interior shot, is the hot/cold temperature adjustment for the climate control built into the chrome vent-rims. You twist the big outer edges of the vents clockwise or counterclockwise to make hot or cold air blow out of the vent. It's a neat idea, except that the shifter is right behind the vents, and, with max A/C on, will blow ice-cold air on your hands when you're shifting, or blast-furnace heat with the heater fully warm.

the previous Camaro had the same issue, while the vents were a bit higher on the dash you could only adjust them slightly left to right and up and down, so hot or cold would blow directly on your hands.

I have the same issue in the RCF with the vent to the left of the steering wheel, it blows directly on my hand on the wheel, I have had that vent closed since day one of ownership because of this.
Old 04-07-16, 10:16 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like the look of the new Camaro's saw my first 2016 few weeks ago. Looks much better than the one it replaced.
Old 04-07-16, 08:37 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mustang, in the past (though its ancient live axle didn't help), had an edge in the handling department over the Camaro, from being smaller, lighter, and less nose-heavy up front. The new Camaro SS still had a bigger engine up front (and out-torques the Mustang GT), but is otherwise completely transformed by the new ATS-based platform. Reviewers say it now out-handles the latest Mustang, at the cost of some ride comfort............which is perhaps not surprising, considering that the ATS itself is now besting the BMW 3-series in that department.
Yeah, the Camaro is undoubtedly a marginally better performer, and that gap will only increase with the 1LE coming, but the Mustang is just way better looking [IMO], has a better quality interior, better rearward and blindspot visibility, an actually [somewhat] usable backseat, and has a V8 with slightly better sound potential... plus it's $5K cheaper. Spend that savings on some conservative mods, and you can easily make up the performance difference. Hell, if you just buy some better tires (and you'll need new ones soon anyways), you'll close the gap.

Of course being that I own a 2015 S550 GT PP myself, I may have some confirmation bias, but I certainly believe there is a strong case for the Mustang over the Camaro. Both are great cars, though.
Old 04-07-16, 09:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yeah, the Camaro is undoubtedly a marginally better performer, and that gap will only increase with the 1LE coming, but the Mustang is just way better looking [IMO], has a better quality interior, better rearward and blindspot visibility, an actually [somewhat] usable backseat, and has a V8 with slightly better sound potential... plus it's $5K cheaper. Spend that savings on some conservative mods, and you can easily make up the performance difference. Hell, if you just buy some better tires (and you'll need new ones soon anyways), you'll close the gap.

Of course being that I own a 2015 S550 GT PP myself, I may have some confirmation bias, but I certainly believe there is a strong case for the Mustang over the Camaro. Both are great cars, though.
I've been a Camaro guy my whole life(owned two 4th gen Z28's), but they have lost me with the 5th gen, and now similar looking 6th gen. The Mustang GT took care of its weak engine problem back in 2012 or 2013 with the 5.0 V8, ever since then I think its been the better car, for the reasons you mention.

Not to take away from the technological achievements, great chassis and the always impressive LS series v8 in the Camaro. Because I do think its a better numbers car than the Mustang and it does have a better engine, but man I hate the 5th and 6th gen styling, and the way that styling compromises visibility from inside the car. Feels like you are riding in a tank.
Old 04-09-16, 02:46 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've been a Camaro guy my whole life(owned two 4th gen Z28's), but they have lost me with the 5th gen, and now similar looking 6th gen. The Mustang GT took care of its weak engine problem back in 2012 or 2013 with the 5.0 V8, ever since then I think its been the better car, for the reasons you mention.

Not to take away from the technological achievements, great chassis and the always impressive LS series v8 in the Camaro. Because I do think its a better numbers car than the Mustang and it does have a better engine, but man I hate the 5th and 6th gen styling, and the way that styling compromises visibility from inside the car. Feels like you are riding in a tank.
Yep. I was really surprised they didn't address any of those issues with the 6th gen redesign... It looks almost exactly the same to me. I mean it would be one thing to compromise visibility on a design that actually looks good (like the Corvette), but IMO, the Camaro has just not been a good looking car for a very long time. It's a lose-lose.