Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2016 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 04:18 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speakers seem fine for me, but I'm no audiophile. XM signal reception is quite weak though. I'd say they are perfect adequate for this class of car. Biggest complaint is you have to really floor it when merging on to highways and such. Downsizing from my 270HP I6 XC60 to a 180HP I4 took some getting used to. I also live in Winter wonderland which leads to 2 minor problems. First, I leave it parked outside and it takes FOREVER to warm up after sitting outside, the XC60 was so much faster. This is negated by a remote start, but those can be an expensive add on. Second the radar and camera system seem to get blocked rather frequently which disables the cruise control and lane departure warning. Usually it corrects itself on the move, but this blockage happens more than I like, especially in wet conditions. Otherwise it's good to drive, gets good fuel economy, looks great and I've had no reliability problems. Those white leather seats are a pain in the *** to keep clean, but I knew that was going to happen. Closing in on 20000KMs. I'd recommend it whole heartedly.
Old 04-01-16, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Biggest complaint is you have to really floor it when merging on to highways and such. Downsizing from my 270HP I6 XC60 to a 180HP I4 took some getting used to.
Do you use the SPORT mode for acceleration....the small tab-lever on the console? My experience, during the test drive, was that it is far more responsive than the NORMAL mode, actually pushing you back into your seat in the lower gears.
Old 04-02-16, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Yeah, I like the looks of the 2013-2015 MY
Still debating. CPO 2013 with 30k is about same price as a new CX-5 grand touring.
Definitely need to test drive
I haven't driven a 4cyl in many years. I'm really a 6 cyl guy, but I'm reading the CX-5 is kind of fun to drive... For what it is.
Thanks for all the info.
I'm shopping for a CX-5 for my mother. We have 14 month old twins and one of her requirements is she wants to be able to take them places. Car seats fit okay in the CX-5, they fit a lot better in the RX350. The RX has a great second row with plenty of room for rear facing seats. That's another option were considering for her, a CPO RX.

I REALLY like the CX-5 though. Best in class easily IMHO
Old 04-02-16, 10:10 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Speakers seem fine for me, but I'm no audiophile. XM signal reception is quite weak though. I'd say they are perfect adequate for this class of car. Biggest complaint is you have to really floor it when merging on to highways and such. Downsizing from my 270HP I6 XC60 to a 180HP I4 took some getting used to. I also live in Winter wonderland which leads to 2 minor problems. First, I leave it parked outside and it takes FOREVER to warm up after sitting outside, the XC60 was so much faster. This is negated by a remote start, but those can be an expensive add on. Second the radar and camera system seem to get blocked rather frequently which disables the cruise control and lane departure warning. Usually it corrects itself on the move, but this blockage happens more than I like, especially in wet conditions. Otherwise it's good to drive, gets good fuel economy, looks great and I've had no reliability problems. Those white leather seats are a pain in the *** to keep clean, but I knew that was going to happen. Closing in on 20000KMs. I'd recommend it whole heartedly.
great info. Thanks for the followup

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm shopping for a CX-5 for my mother. We have 14 month old twins and one of her requirements is she wants to be able to take them places. Car seats fit okay in the CX-5, they fit a lot better in the RX350. The RX has a great second row with plenty of room for rear facing seats. That's another option were considering for her, a CPO RX.

I REALLY like the CX-5 though. Best in class easily IMHO
yeah it's a tough choice... CPO with some miles, or a brand new CX-5.
I'd really like the extra room, and the 3.5 in the RX... but i'd also like a brand new car.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience.
I'm going to start my test driving in the next week or two. I'll see how it goes.
Old 04-02-16, 05:10 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Great info. Thanks Allen.
So with the NextFit on the passenger side, just how much leg room does the front passenger end up with? Think it would liveable for the wife?
My wife is 5'5 and she fits pretty comfortably for short distances. Longer trips we'd definitely take my car. It's not so much the legroom as it is the angle of the seat. She has to sit pretty upright
Old 04-02-16, 06:41 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^i gotcha now
Ok thanks