Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2016 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:36 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the write up!
I've been reading such good reviews on the CX-5, I plan on test driving one in the next couple weeks.
I just hope convertible car seats fit in the back with ease. That is the big test for me...
If not, I'll probably buy a CPO RX350, for the extra room...
Old 03-31-16, 09:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, on the X-Trail, did you mean the XTerra? That was a now-discontinued compact, truck-based, body-on-frame SUV that was primarily intended for hard-core off-roading. It competed basically with the Jeep Wrangler.
This below is the first-generation X-trail, which was sold in Canada but never sold in the USA, I gather. We never received the second-generation X-trail (which looked very similar), instead receiving the Murano-lookalike Rogue (related to the smaller Qashqai that itself was larger than the X-trail).

Old 03-31-16, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This below is the first-generation X-trail, which was sold in Canada but never sold in the USA, I gather. We never received the second-generation X-trail (which looked very similar), instead receiving the Murano-lookalike Rogue (related to the smaller Qashqai that itself was larger than the X-trail).
Thanks for the clarification. That is definitely not the (now discontinued) U.S.-market X-Terra I was referring to.
Old 03-31-16, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Glad you enjoyed it.

I've been reading such good reviews on the CX-5, I plan on test driving one in the next couple weeks.
Not sure about your part of the country, but here in the D.C. area, there are generally a lot of them in stock. You get a pretty good choice of versions that you can test-drive.

I just hope convertible car seats fit in the back with ease. That is the big test for me...
All new vehicles built for (and sold in) the U.S. market have required to have built-in child car-seat attachment hardware-points for years. They are usually located just behind the top of the seatback cushion, in the center.

All else equal on the road-surface and tire-type/condition, the RX will be noticeably more quiet and refined on the road. Its 3.5L V6 will also run somewhat smoother than the 2.5L four in the CX-5. I'm not sure, though, that I could live with that enormous spindle-grille on the new RX every day, though...IMO, it's an eyesore. But, off course, you would be looking at an older one, with the more conventional styling.
Old 03-31-16, 10:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Front or rear facing? My wife has a 2014 CX-5 and our rear facing Chicco Nextfit Zip fits pretty well. Not a whole lot of legroom for the front passenger, but my wife usually sits in the back with the kid anyway.
Old 03-31-16, 11:06 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

^^^exact seat what we just bought...
I'm going to try and keep it rear facing as long as I can.
I'm wondering if I can fit the Chicco infant carrier in the middle "seat" and the nextfit on the passenger side. Our second girl is due in June. Hence the car shopping.
thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-16, 11:09 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Glad you enjoyed it.

Not sure about your part of the country, but here in the D.C. area, there are generally a lot of them in stock. You get a pretty good choice of versions that you can test-drive.

All new vehicles built for (and sold in) the U.S. market have required to have built-in child car-seat attachment hardware-points for years. They are usually located just behind the top of the seatback cushion, in the center.

All else equal on the road-surface and tire-type/condition, the RX will be noticeably more quiet and refined on the road. Its 3.5L V6 will also run somewhat smoother than the 2.5L four in the CX-5. I'm not sure, though, that I could live with that enormous spindle-grille on the new RX every day, though...IMO, it's an eyesore. But, off course, you would be looking at an older one, with the more conventional styling.
Yeah, I like the looks of the 2013-2015 MY
Still debating. CPO 2013 with 30k is about same price as a new CX-5 grand touring.
Definitely need to test drive
I haven't driven a 4cyl in many years. I'm really a 6 cyl guy, but I'm reading the CX-5 is kind of fun to drive... For what it is.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-31-16, 07:32 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Turning this into a Nissan review... The Qashqai is a small crossover, in the same segment as the Honda HRV. The current gen sold in the UK and Asia looks like a small Rogue/Xtrail but with elongated rear lights. I'm surprised Nissan don't sell it in the US because it's selling well overseas.

The Xterra is a body-on-frame SUV which is called the Terrano or Patrol in other markets.
Old 03-31-16, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Turning this into a Nissan review...
That got started because some posters wanted to know how the CX-5 compared with equivalent Nissans. It was a fair question.
Old 04-01-16, 12:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

^^^exact seat what we just bought...
I'm going to try and keep it rear facing as long as I can.
I'm wondering if I can fit the Chicco infant carrier in the middle "seat" and the nextfit on the passenger side. Our second girl is due in June. Hence the car shopping.
thanks for the info!
With the base I don't see that happening. I originally tried to put the infant seat in the middle, but there are no LATCH attachments in the middle (so you'd have to use the seat belt) and there's a small hump in the middle which kept me from getting the base on as tight as I wanted. The carrier is also decently wide so it would've taken up some arm room from the other passengers in the back. I ended up just installing it on the passenger side
Old 04-01-16, 01:52 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 2016 CX-5 GT if anyone has further questions.
Old 04-01-16, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
Congratulations.

Did you agree with the review?
Old 04-01-16, 03:30 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
With the base I don't see that happening. I originally tried to put the infant seat in the middle, but there are no LATCH attachments in the middle (so you'd have to use the seat belt) and there's a small hump in the middle which kept me from getting the base on as tight as I wanted. The carrier is also decently wide so it would've taken up some arm room from the other passengers in the back. I ended up just installing it on the passenger side
Great info. Thanks Allen.
So with the NextFit on the passenger side, just how much leg room does the front passenger end up with? Think it would liveable for the wife?
Old 04-01-16, 03:32 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
Congratulations.

Did you agree with the review?
Yes, I'd like to hear what you think of it too, Venom.
What things don't you like about it specifically?

I hear the speakers aren't so great, for one.
Old 04-01-16, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I hear the speakers aren't so great, for one.

That was one of the things I mentioned in the review......OK but rather mediocre stereo-sound quality, though I wasn't sure if it was the speakers or the unit itself.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review: 2016 Mazda CX-5