Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Special-Edition Trans-Am unveiled at New York Auto Show.

Old 03-27-16, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Special-Edition Trans-Am unveiled at New York Auto Show.

I couldn't help but post this. A close friend of mine has an original 1979 T/A...black with the gold chicken and striping, just like the one in the movie (he still drives it to classic-car shows). This one, of course, is a special-production aftermarket version, using a Camaro SS.

Old 03-27-16, 09:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I still wish somebody (probably Chrysler, now that Plymouth is gone) would do a retro Road Runner. My checkbook's ready...I'd take one home the day they introduced it....particuarly if they did it in Lime Green or purple like the original. The present Dodge Charger has an ideal chassis/platform for it, but, of course, has four doors, and lacks the cartoon bird-graphics and the Beep-Beep horn. The 1970 GTO, Barracuda, and particularly the Road Runner were my favorite muscle-cars when I was in high school....though the GTO had far better overall build-quality.

Old 03-27-16, 09:34 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had a sweet spot for these things.
Old 03-27-16, 10:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah those things are ugly, especially the rear tailights. Of course I've never liked the 5th or 6th gen Camaro either.

As far as my favorite Trans Am, the 1977 Special Edition model Burt Reynolds drove is one of my favorites. If you didn't know, they stole the color scheme from the Lotus Formula 1 team and their John Player Special gold and black paint jobs.

As much as I love the black and gold Trans Am of that era, I might like Solar Gold even more. And I normally hate gold/champagne colored cars because they look dull and dirty, but this just pops.

The 1998-2002 Trans Am WS6 is another classic IMO. It looks like an angry predator that is going to eat you alive. The styling is so radical, the edge of the front bumper is below your knee cap, the steeply raked windshield, the impossibly low roof line, the wide stance, it has those classic Lamborghini or Ferrari exotic car proportions.

Old 03-28-16, 04:13 AM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I still wish somebody (probably Chrysler, now that Plymouth is gone) would do a retro Road Runner. My checkbook's ready...I'd take one home the day they introduced it....particuarly if they did it in Lime Green or purple like the original. The present Dodge Charger has an ideal chassis/platform for it, but, of course, has four doors, and lacks the cartoon bird-graphics and the Beep-Beep horn. The 1970 GTO, Barracuda, and particularly the Road Runner were my favorite muscle-cars when I was in high school....though the GTO had far better overall build-quality.

Like this?

Old 03-28-16, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by da mayor
Like this?
What they did there was basically just take a current Challenger and graft on some body parts from the 1970 Road Runner Superbird / Charger Daytona.

The late 60s/early 70s Road Runner was not a pony car (the Barracuda/Challenger filled that role), but a two-door sedan (or convertible) version of the Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite mid-sized platform, with large V8 engines, cartoon bird-graphics, some trick hood-scoops, and the trademark "Beep-Beep" horn. An absolute masterpiece of cheap but effective marketing at the time....that's why it sold like hotcakes, and seriously threatened the GTO's title.

Let's ge back to Trans-Ams, though...I didn't mean to take the thread too far off-topic with a new RR.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-16 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Y
The 1998-2002 Trans Am WS6 is another classic IMO. It looks like an angry predator that is going to eat you alive. The styling is so radical, the edge of the front bumper is below your knee cap, the steeply raked windshield, the impossibly low roof line, the wide stance, it has those classic Lamborghini or Ferrari exotic car proportions.
Yeah......agreed on the macho styling, but Firebirds (and most American-designed Pontiacs) of that era were Gosh-awful inside on the interiors and materials. Can you spell C-H-E-A-P? The 5.7L V8 drivetrains, however, particularly with the automatic, were solid and dependable.
Old 03-28-16, 09:41 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See the Bandit

Old 03-28-16, 11:39 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah......agreed on the macho styling, but Firebirds (and most American-designed Pontiacs) of that era were Gosh-awful inside on the interiors and materials. Can you spell C-H-E-A-P? The 5.7L V8 drivetrains, however, particularly with the automatic, were solid and dependable.
Yeah if you wanted luxury, it wasn't the car for you. I had a 1999 Z28 that I sold with 130k miles on it, it looked like a new car inside except for some minor wear on the driver's seat leather. Nothing broke and nothing rattled on the inside when I sold it. Also I thought the layout and ergonomics were top notch, shifter/pedals/steering wheel were in perfect relation, great gauge package, you sat with your butt on the floor like a proper sports car.

That's the main gripe I have about the 5th and 6th gen cars is the interior and ergonomics. You can't see out of them with those gun slit windows and with all the unrelenting black plastic its feels very dark and cave like. Plus the 5th gen cars have a stupid looking gauge package and dash layout.

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-28-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 01:01 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL...CamaroBird....GM must be really running out of ideas.
Old 03-28-16, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bartman619
This is not a GM project. It is an aftermarket company called Trans-Am Worldwide, based in Tallahassee, FL, that takes a new Camaro SS and turns into into a Trans-Am. The former Firebird and Camaro came from the same platform.....the GM F-body. This is what a new T/A would (probably) have been like had Pontiac stayed in business.
Old 03-28-16, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That Camaro with slapped-on accessories really denigrates the memory of the original Trans Ams.
Old 03-28-16, 10:22 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. Loved "Smokey and the Bandit" growing up.
Old 03-28-16, 10:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
That Camaro with slapped-on accessories really denigrates the memory of the original Trans Ams.
Well, what ELSE would you use as a platform? The Camaro, the Firebird's brother, is the only surviving GM F-body product. There's nothing else you CAN use, if you want a brand-new vehicle comparable to a Firebird.
Old 03-29-16, 09:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartman619
Nothing says "Just because we can" than a prototype of a car from a defunct brand. Let's give them some more bail out money.

This is not a GM project. It is an aftermarket company called Trans-Am Worldwide, based in Tallahassee, FL, that takes a new Camaro SS and turns into into a Trans-Am. The former Firebird and Camaro came from the same platform.....the GM F-body. This is what a new T/A would (probably) have been like had Pontiac stayed in business.
Ahh--better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Special-Edition Trans-Am unveiled at New York Auto Show.