Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 12:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The GX is priced at a RX by the current pricing scheme. A RXL can start at the same base price of the GX and besides towing due everything.
GX starts $9k more than RX... average price is likely around $8k-$10k more than RX. Thats certainly not trivial and similar difference is between IS and GS.
Old 03-27-16, 01:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GX starts $9k more than RX... average price is likely around $8k-$10k more than RX. Thats certainly not trivial and similar difference is between IS and GS.
True but the number of stripper RXs sold on average is way less then the amount of stripper GXs. People like to option the RX somewhat, and that adds on average about 5-10K right there, while the GX buyer knows that the GX is a capable and is a huge vehicle and purchases like it is.

Again the size of the GX is what attracts a lot of buyers to the vehicle regardless of age and lack of features. Hence why the GX is selling in large amounts for a quite decontented vehicle.
Old 03-27-16, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't agree. Lots here are full of stripped RXs. The GX also doesn't sell in large amounts, its always been a slow seller in the US. Somebody looking at an RX isn't likely to even consider a GX. Very different vehicles.
Old 03-27-16, 04:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, sure it will be. Look how many Infiniti QX60s they sell compared to Nissan Pathfinders, and that is exactly the same vehicle.
Oh--it's worth it for Lexus, no doubt. Because of those slaves to the badge. At least the Lexus sitting side by side with the Highlander isn't visually obvious that it's the same car underneath.
Old 03-27-16, 05:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

True but the number of stripper RXs sold on average is way less then the amount of stripper GXs. People like to option the RX somewhat, and that adds on average about 5-10K right there, while the GX buyer knows that the GX is a capable and is a huge vehicle and purchases like it is.

Again the size of the GX is what attracts a lot of buyers to the vehicle regardless of age and lack of features. Hence why the GX is selling in large amounts for a quite decontented vehicle.
Lexus builds their cars to regional spec. So it will be a little different in PA. Point in case though here in CA, NorCal to be specific, the RX is most common at a $53K build which includes AWD, 20" wheels, nav, BSM and Safety+. The most common GX is the 'Premium' $58K build which is Nav and BSM. In our region unless it's special order, the GX really only comes in Base $54K, Premium, and Luxury $64K.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree. Lots here are full of stripped RXs. The GX also doesn't sell in large amounts, its always been a slow seller in the US. Somebody looking at an RX isn't likely to even consider a GX. Very different vehicles.
True it's a niche model. In fact the 2014 refreshed breathed new life and reinvigorated the GX line.
Old 03-27-16, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

thats not true, per Toyota, only 20% of GXs are base 54k models.

If you check median available RX vs GX in the USA (and you can do it on cars.com), then it is 51k vs 58k... and thats with RX being fresh at which point larger amount of loaded vehicles is bought...as vehicle ages , there is a shift towards cheaper models.
Old 08-22-17, 01:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First Spy Shots

Old 08-22-17, 01:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 3 comments:

1) Holy D Pillar, Batman!
2) Curious if relocating the rear wiper to the bottom of the back window, instead of tucked under the spoiler, is going into production.
3) Granted the pictures are not great, but that 3rd row seat looks cramped.
Old 08-22-17, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

with the rx 'unique' look there's hardly a need for camo.

the third row looks like it's good for only tiny people.

Old 08-22-17, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The spindle looks like it's trying to burst out of the camo.
Old 08-22-17, 03:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

From the 03-July-2017 edition of Motor Authority (source here):
According to Mag-X, the 3-row RX, to be badged an RX L, will maintain the wheelbase of the current 2-row model but feature an extended rear. To provide sufficient headroom for the third-row, the roof will remain flat towards the rear instead of sloping down like on the 2-row model.
From the 22-August-2017 edition of Motor1.com (source here) that includes the same pictures:
Lexus keeps the test mule under heavy camouflage, but the little of the front end that’s visible doesn’t suggest any major changes. The bigger tweaks are at the rear. The back section of the roof appears flatter, and the tailgate is more upright than on the current model. The overhang is larger, too, but the wheelbase seems the same. These adjustments would maximize space for folks in the third row.
With the same wheelbase, that 3rd-row seat will likely be very tight.
Old 08-22-17, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
With the same wheelbase, that 3rd-row seat will likely be very tight.
not only that, with a very long front end and now a very long back end, the proportions will look horrible from the side view.
Old 08-22-17, 08:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

need better pics to be sure but those surely looks like some very tiny spots in the back. it would be horrible if they are any worse than the GX (which i already think are pretty bad)
Old 08-22-17, 10:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

That rear pillar looks three times larger than any other pillar I know of. I hope that isn't the final design.
This thing is taking forever to arrive. I assume it will coincide with the regular RX facelift? If not, it's going to be off with the existing RX's facelift. I hope Lexus has thought of this. The last IS and IS-F was out of wack in a similar way.
Old 08-22-17, 11:19 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some serious munchkins seating in the back there. Wow that looks tight.
While my wife has made talk of looking for a seven passenger vehicle LC, LX, GX etc. I'm curious about this one. I love my current RX if it's just my wife & daughter with me. Not sure how useful this third row will be. Maybe grandkids can sit back there.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL