Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota reveals 2017 Prius Prime

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 11:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's over 3" higher, and reg prius isn't roomy for cargo to begin with. hard to know why they bother.
The new 4Gen Prius, if I remember correctly, has more cargo space than the 3Gen model (it has a lower load floor now that the hybrid battery is under the rear seat), and as a hatchback, the cargo space is not limited by the trunklid and gooseneck hinges. The 3" higher load floor in the Prius Prime, although it does cut down some on cargo space, still allows space for what most drivers will need. Who fills their full cargo space all the time?

because it isn't like a volt, which is ONLY driven by the electric motor, with the ice only there as a generator.
The Prius Prime is like the Volt, being driven only by the battery, only it has a shorter EV range (35km / 20+miles for the Prius Prime and 80km / 50miles for the 2016 Volt). When the battery is low, the ICE switches on to charge the battery.

The Volt does have great range for a plug-in hybrid, but then, it has a HUGE battery that takes up a lot of space in the passenger compartment.

thanks. looks like it may have 2 batteries? one charged by hybrid and other charged by a plug?
They are 2 separate batteries, 1 under the rear seat (as in the original 2016 Prius) and an additional under the rear cargo floor but it would not make sense to operate them as 2 separate batteries.

regardless, there's just so much complexity with so little utility (2+2, cargo good for a couple of pizzas only), and so little benefit vs cost it's just hard to fathom the value.

a rav4 hybrid seems a hugely better value.
It does have 20miles of EV-only range. That would be good enough to get me to work in the morning (after charging overnight). If I could charge during the day at work, I would not need to use any gasoline during weekday commuting at all. And don't forget that running for 20miles on electricity is much cheaper than running for 20miles on gasoline.

The complexity comes from having 2 drivetrains -- 1 ICE and 1 electric -- but having a parallel electric drivetrain allows you to drive up to 20miles using no gasoline (and spewing no toxic emissions) at all.

The complexity comes about because we do not yet have the really high-capacity batteries that we would need to provide "normal" cars like the Corolla or Camry with the same range as their gasoline counterparts. The hybrid electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are necessary stop-gaps until such time that we have super batteries.
Old 04-08-16, 12:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Prius Prime is like the Volt, being driven only by the battery, only it has a shorter EV range (35km / 20+miles for the Prius Prime and 80km / 50miles for the 2016 Volt). When the battery is low, the ICE switches on to charge the battery.
i've been through this thread a few times and i don't see this information. so you're saying it's NOT a hybrid car? in one post it says the engine can charge the battery while in 'fuel mode' but that doesn't mean the engine isn't driving the wheels also.

edit: reading further here: http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehic...!/how-it-works to me this is definitely NOT the same as the volt, which has wheels that are ONLY driven by electric motors. the prime is a prius with a bigger battery. the fact that the ice can re-charge the battery is nothing new, all hybrids do this anyway. but again, as far as i can tell, this car can and does drive the car with the gas motor when it deems necessary, i.e., battery isn't charged enough.

note gasoline icon in diagram from that site in image below:

edit 2: from above site:
Prius Prime works similarly to a standard Prius, but with an increased electric driving range, more powerful electric motors and enhanced fuel efficiency.
it's a hybrid. volt is not a hybrid. volt is an electric car with a gasoline powered generator.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-08-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 06:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

i've been through this thread a few times and i don't see this information. so you're saying it's NOT a hybrid car? in one post it says the engine can charge the battery while in 'fuel mode' but that doesn't mean the engine isn't driving the wheels also.

edit: reading further here: http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehic...!/how-it-works to me this is definitely NOT the same as the volt, which has wheels that are ONLY driven by electric motors. the prime is a prius with a bigger battery. the fact that the ice can re-charge the battery is nothing new, all hybrids do this anyway. but again, as far as i can tell, this car can and does drive the car with the gas motor when it deems necessary, i.e., battery isn't charged enough.

it's a hybrid. volt is not a hybrid. volt is an electric car with a gasoline powered generator.
Volt is a plug-in hybrid electric. GM just invented the term "Extended-Range Electric Vehicle" to fool you. There is a lot of obfuscation in GM's explanation about how the Voltec system works (perhaps for patent infringement issues).

By definition, a hybrid electric vehicle has 2 sources of power, one of which is electricity, one of which is not electricity (could be a gasoline engine, could be a diesel engine). It does not matter if the other, non-electrical source of power is able to directly power the wheels (as in a parallel hybrid) or is used to generate electricity to turn an electric motor that drives the wheels (as in a serial hybrid).

In fact, the 1Gen Volt had a power-split device transmission that was very similar to Toyota's and Ford's planetary gear hybrid system. The new 2Gen Volt has a very complex hybrid transmission with more than 1 planetary gearset, for efficiency purposes, says GM.

If the Volt was simply a serial hybrid (gasoline engine only used as a generator to generate electricity to recharge the battery and drive the electric motor), it would not need such a complex transmission. Regardless... The fact that the Volt can run off the battery or have the gasoline engine generate electricity makes it a hybrid vehicle.

For your information, Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive also has its electric motor constantly turning the wheels. Speed of the car is regulated by the speed of the electric motor and if the electric motor does not have enough power, the gasoline engine provides backup power.
Old 04-08-16, 11:05 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazon exclusive model?
Old 04-09-16, 02:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I dont get it, do you think Prius Prime does not go on EV alone?

They both essentially do the same thing, difference is that Prius is much more efficient in doing so while Volt has bigger battery and range of EV which is not related to base technology.
Old 04-09-16, 02:49 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The Prius is a Volt with a smaller battery pack. There, enough said

Actually the new Volt adds a one-way clutch to the planetary gearset for more efficient high speed driving. The new Prius also has this and presumably the Prime has it too. The Volt runs as a series and parallel hybrid with the engine capable of mechanically powering the front wheels.

An i3 with the optional engine is a series hybrid. The engine only runs as a generator to charge the battery pack and supply power to the electric motor, without a mechanical connection to the drive wheels.
Old 04-09-16, 04:42 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

still looks horrendous...
Old 04-11-16, 06:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The Prius is a Volt with a smaller battery pack. There, enough said

Actually the new Volt adds a one-way clutch to the planetary gearset for more efficient high speed driving. The new Prius also has this and presumably the Prime has it too. The Volt runs as a series and parallel hybrid with the engine capable of mechanically powering the front wheels.

An i3 with the optional engine is a series hybrid. The engine only runs as a generator to charge the battery pack and supply power to the electric motor, without a mechanical connection to the drive wheels.
thanks, that's helpful. didn't know the new volt can run parallel as well as serial.

they're all rube goldberg machines with limited utility and in the case of the prius, bizarre and cheap interior.
Old 04-11-16, 07:06 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Let's agree to disagree I wouldn't go back to a non-hybrid after driving the ES300h for a few years. The mechanicals aren't complex, the ancient Greeks had planetary gearsets 2000 years ago in the Antikhytera Mechanism, but the electronics to control electrical and mechanical power flow are pretty fancy stuff.
Old 04-11-16, 12:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thanks, that's helpful. didn't know the new volt can run parallel as well as serial.

they're all rube goldberg machines with limited utility and in the case of the prius, bizarre and cheap interior.
New Prius has pretty nice interior actually. It is not a Lexus but it is not cheapo either. No wonder it won comparo's vs Golf in UK magazines.

And seating position is superb. It is a night and day difference from old Prius.

So it is not just for hybrid/tech fans anymore.
Old 04-14-16, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Prius wins against new Passat in Autoexpress (German owned).
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswa...s-toyota-prius

First place: Toyota Prius

The Prius’ design won’t be to everyone’s taste, but there’s no denying it looks and feels a lot more distinctive than the Passat. However, the big benefit comes from its hybrid powertrain, delivering useful savings over the conventionally powered Volkswagen. The smooth ride and capable chassis mean it’s also good to drive, and now more refined than ever.
First win against Golf and then against Passat, all in magazine traditionally very biased towards German vehicles (owned by Autobild). Is end of the world coming? :-)

Old 04-14-16, 08:07 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting numbers in that Auto Express article - the CO2 figures for both cars are way above the government figures. I don't see how the Prius can claim less than 100 g CO2 when it puts out 130 on a real world drive. Then again, I'd love to see NOx real vs test figures for both cars too.

Hybrids never really sold in Europe because diesels were seen as superior. Now after VW's deception device shenanigans and rising particulate emissions in cities, hybrids may be seen as a worthwhile alternative. It's funny that Lexus is the only major manufacturer pushing hybrids in Europe despite tiny sales, when everyone else was pushing diesel, and now Lexus can take advantage of the situation.

I'm also wondering why certain models don't make it to Europe and vice versa. The ES300h isn't available there but the GS300h and IS300h are.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-14-16 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 10:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the Europeans favour driving dynamics and a GS300h and IS300h would appeal to them more than a FWD luxury hybrid that favours smooth, comfortable ride.
Old 04-14-16, 11:42 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

A stereotype maybe? I see a lot of cheapo 520d and E200d models in Europe as company cars and repmobiles, not much driving dynamics in those models. The Passat definitely isn't a driver's car either. I can't fathom why someone would buy a low-spec BMW for badge snobbery reasons when the same amount of money could get a very nice Mondeo or other FWD sedans.
Old 04-15-16, 04:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
Interesting numbers in that Auto Express article - the CO2 figures for both cars are way above the government figures. I don't see how the Prius can claim less than 100 g CO2 when it puts out 130 on a real world drive. Then again, I'd love to see NOx real vs test figures for both cars too.

Hybrids never really sold in Europe because diesels were seen as superior. Now after VW's deception device shenanigans and rising particulate emissions in cities, hybrids may be seen as a worthwhile alternative. It's funny that Lexus is the only major manufacturer pushing hybrids in Europe despite tiny sales, when everyone else was pushing diesel, and now Lexus can take advantage of the situation.

I'm also wondering why certain models don't make it to Europe and vice versa. The ES300h isn't available there but the GS300h and IS300h are.
They have to claim whatever the government test mandate.

Hybrids have very small NOx figures, they are not even measured against EU law. New diesels officially have 15x-20x more under EU6 strict emission test, but this is not measurable during test drive (not without some huge equipment).

As to Hybrids being sold in Europe, I think Toyota sold 210k last year, more than in the USA.

But this has nothing to do with diesel scandal, it is not affecting sales of diesels in Europe at all. Just people seeing benefit of hybrid drive in Toyota vehicles.

Quick Reply: Toyota reveals 2017 Prius Prime