Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 highlander

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i drove the current highlander and thought it was pretty quiet. wouldn't be surprised if this significantly refreshed highlander is quieter though. the 8 speed will help with lower rpms, but obviously there's other noise sources like tires, wind, etc.
Toyota may (?) have skimped some on the last-generation Highlander's insulation. (it's been a while since I sampled a Highlander, so I don't remember the ride-comfort or noise-level in detail, though I do remember a lot of body roll and slow steering response). The latest Highlander, as you note, may have addressed that, as Toyota is now trying to correct some of their past mistakes.
Old 03-19-16, 09:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

. and i drove the current highlander and thought it was pretty quiet. wouldn't be surprised if this significantly refreshed highlander is quieter though. the 8 speed will help with lower rpms, .
The current Highlander is quieter than the previous gen. That is according to the stats at the auto decibel website.
Old 03-21-16, 11:41 AM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Pretty happy about this refresh. Next year I will be buying a 3-row crossover. I have been in love with the Highlander for the last couple of years and it was all but a guarantee until Mazda revealed the new CX-9. Then it became an equal battle, both offering different advantages but the Highlander was starting to get a bit stale. This update fixes a lot but the decision is still going to be tough.

The CX-9 is the sports car of this segment. If driving dynamics are important to you, it's the only large crossover that will provide any satisfaction in this area. Hopefully the Highlander SE model will bridge some of that gap.

Last edited by kennytbone; 03-21-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The current Highlander is quieter than the previous gen. That is according to the stats at the auto decibel website.
not sure what site you're referring to but i doubt they've tried this refreshed 2017 highlander yet.
Old 03-21-16, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

not sure what site you're referring to but i doubt they've tried this refreshed 2017 highlander yet.
Currently, the 2013-16 is sold. They tested both an 08 and 14. What is there to doubt?
Old 03-21-16, 05:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping they have also revised the sound system. The JBL in the '14-'16 had many complaints about sound quality for a $40k vehicle.

One of the new things I'm excited about is the available brown leather interior (only on the Platinum). I wanted so badly to have that color in my next new vehicle. Adds so much character over traditional interior colors.
Old 03-21-16, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Currently, the 2013-16 is sold. They tested both an 08 and 14. What is there to doubt?
Might want to reread the whole thread including the title.
Diesel350 said his (not '17) highlander is not as quiet as an rx. I thought maybe the '17 refresh (what this thread is about) will be quieter.

So '08's and '14's are irrelevant.
Old 03-21-16, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kennytbone
The CX-9 is the sports car of this segment. If driving dynamics are important to you, it's the only large crossover that will provide any satisfaction in this area. Hopefully the Highlander SE model will bridge some of that gap.
The REAL sports-car among crossover SUVs is probably the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (yes, the Grand Cherokee uses a unibody chassis, which technically is the definition of a crossover SUV). But even bread-and-butter Grand Cherokess are not cheap, and the SRT version, of course, is a serious chunk of cash.
Old 03-22-16, 08:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The REAL sports-car among crossover SUVs is probably the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (yes, the Grand Cherokee uses a unibody chassis, which technically is the definition of a crossover SUV). But even bread-and-butter Grand Cherokess are not cheap, and the SRT version, of course, is a serious chunk of cash.
Kennytbone was referring specifically to the segment, which is the 3-row crossover segment, within which the Grand Cherokee doesn't compete. If you want to grab examples outside of this segment to anything that is a crossover then you would have to probably count the Macan and Cayenne as the "REAL" sports car. But since those aren't in the realm of this segment, the upcoming CX-9 should indeed be the most engaging vehicle dynamically, and stylistically, although that part is more subjective.

If the Highlander SE is anything like the new RAV4 SE, it'll ride fairly stiffly with minimal added dynamic capability/precision. Not sure if the tradeoff is worth it.
Old 03-22-16, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Kennytbone was referring specifically to the segment, which is the 3-row crossover segment, within which the Grand Cherokee doesn't compete. If you want to grab examples outside of this segment to anything that is a crossover then you would have to probably count the Macan and Cayenne as the "REAL" sports car. But since those aren't in the realm of this segment, the upcoming CX-9 should indeed be the most engaging vehicle dynamically, and stylistically, although that part is more subjective.
What about the new Bentley SUV or the MB G-wagon V12 with over 600 ponies.
Old 03-22-16, 11:53 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What about the new Bentley SUV or the MB G-wagon V12 with over 600 ponies.
Be serious. How many people do you know who would cross-shop the Bentley Bentayga (or the G-Wagen) with the Toyota Highlander and Mazda CX-9? And the Bentayga is a 2-row, not 3-row, crossover (car-based) utility vehicle.

The MB G-Wagen is not a crossover but a real BOF SUV. And, again, it is a 2-row, not 3-row SUV.
Old 03-22-16, 03:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

If the Highlander SE is anything like the new RAV4 SE, it'll ride fairly stiffly with minimal added dynamic capability/precision. Not sure if the tradeoff is worth it.
no need to make far-reaching negative conclusions.

As to the SE model, it is not supposed to bring better handling here, it is just appearance package.
Old 03-22-16, 03:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

As to the SE model, it is not supposed to bring better handling here, it is just appearance package.
Kennytbone was wondering if the Highlander SE would improve dynamics, and I was simply sharing my observations of the most recently debuted SE trim crossover from Toyota. So this isn't far-reaching.

Why do you feel that it isn't supposed to bring better handling? Toyota seems to use SE as a "sporty" variant lately, drawing attention to specific sport-tuned suspensions in the other models as well as the appearance portion.
Old 03-22-16, 03:51 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

According to this C&D article, the suspension changes in the RAV4 SE are pretty good, so let's hope it's the same for the Highlander:

The biggest mechanical changes are in the suspension, which has been made more athletic all around, thanks to stiffer springs, larger anti-roll bars, and firmer damping. We're not talking Porsche 911 here, but compared with the regular RAV4, the difference is palpable.

Experiencing the Difference

On a brisk drive through one of Southern California's twisty mountain roads, the upgraded suspension provided excellent body and wheel control at high speeds and handled midcorner bumps very well, even when the body was heeled over. And the structure of the RAV4 felt very solid, never emitting any creaks or groans.
Nobody builds a truly sporting entry in the compact-SUV segment - at least outside of the luxury makers - and the RAV4 SE is no exception. We'd say this model handles most similarly to the Mazda CX-5, which is our class favorite, but picking a winner between the two will require a direct comparison test. For those buyers who are in the Toyota family and want a compact SUV that performs with a bit more precision than most, the SE is a good choice.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 03-22-16, 04:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

It does have firmer suspension Toyota says. But that's the extent of any performance upgrade.

Quick Reply: 2017 highlander