Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 highlander

Old 03-16-16, 01:02 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what a difference it makes to make the top grille smaller.
The 2015 model front end looked so dumpy

even if they did put the logo in the center, it would have still looked ugly...

Last edited by pman6; 03-16-16 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-16-16, 06:08 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
what a difference it makes to make the top grille smaller.
The 2015 model front end looked so dumpy

even if they did put the logo in the center, it would have still looked ugly...
I have a good feeling that the bumper and grills will be swap-able. I mean you can swap the 2015 and earlier bumpers with the new one.
Old 03-16-16, 06:14 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Well, I haven't seen the interior yet, but safe to say that members here used to upscale interiors should be ready for a reality check, when the interiors surface. I can appreciate that the love for the Highlander probably has partly to do something with the polarizing RX looks. But the look should be easy to grow into, but much harder would be to accept the ho-hum (read: Economy Class) interior. We'll see.

With respect to LED's and other latest techs, I agree it's about time. Forum members must have noticed that mainstream cars like the latest Honda Civic has taken the charge to bring the latest higher end techs to mass market. LED's back and front, CarPlay, Android Auto, full range collision mitigation etc. We knew this was going to happen as a reaction to Luxury marques trying to woo mainstream customers.

So what's my point? Over time, the differentiation between mainstream and "near mainstream" luxury is going to get even slimmer, if it hasn't already. The separation will be/is in just in the name and the dollar premium for "refinement". Value proposition of refinement per dollar spent is and will remain subjective.

As for me, I have always liked the functionality of the Highlander, and wished for a third row affordable RX-esque Lexus. But with kids, thanks to forum member suggestions, I am happy with a Limited Premium Sienna for the time being. These changes to the Highlander and future Sienna are very welcome. My dream car: A Lexus Pacifica Will it ever build one? Likely not.
The interior on the Limited is nice. Anything below that and you will probably be disappointed.
Old 03-16-16, 06:31 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalcpa
This looks way better than the horribly looking 2016 RX. I'll seriously consider it once my 2015 RX lease is up.
Just don't expect it to be as quiet as the RX. Other than that I love my 2016 Highlander.
Old 03-16-16, 12:45 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Turbo lovers will want to know where's the new turbo engine. Why is Toyota so far behind engine tech. It makes sense for the Highlander since this is considered a mid cycle refresh. It is strange that the Sienna is getting it so late in its life cycle. The mid cycle refresh came out two years ago I think and will probably have at most 1 or two more years before a complete redesign. Unless I missed something and 2017 is a redesign of the Sienna.
Old 03-16-16, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Turbo lovers will want to know where's the new turbo engine. Why is Toyota so far behind engine tech. It makes sense for the Highlander since this is considered a mid cycle refresh. It is strange that the Sienna is getting it so late in its life cycle. The mid cycle refresh came out two years ago I think and will probably have at most 1 or two more years before a complete redesign. Unless I missed something and 2017 is a redesign of the Sienna.
The Highlander does not need a turbo. It simply needs to be reliable and as efficient as it possibly can.

Personally, I think the Highlander in fully loaded trim is in almost every single way a better vehicle that the RX.

The RX should get the turbo option.
Old 03-16-16, 02:22 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Highlander does not need a turbo. It simply needs to be reliable and as efficient as it possibly can.

Personally, I think the Highlander in fully loaded trim is in almost every single way a better vehicle that the RX.

The RX should get the turbo option.
I was being sarcastic, mocking turbo proponents. If anything vehicles like the Highlander, Sienna, RX, pickup trucks, you know heavy vehicles would benefit from a turbo with its low end grunt. Turbos can be reliable too no? But you're right, I prefer a smooth strong NA V6.
Old 03-16-16, 03:42 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ABC
Really happy to see this - lowered cost hybrid models!
Yeah, I get that it is loaded, but $48000 is ridiculous. Why not get an RXh?
Old 03-16-16, 03:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, I get that it is loaded, but $48000 is ridiculous. Why not get an RXh?
As "similarly equipped" as I can get the current (2016) highlander hybrid and RXh on the respective websites, the RXh comes out about $8k more expensive. That's substantial--roughly 16% more. And at that point, the Highlander has heated rear captain's chairs and a third row, while the RXh has an unheated bench and only two rows.
Old 03-17-16, 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Just don't expect it to be as quiet as the RX. Other than that I love my 2016 Highlander.
really? i don't know about the new rx, but the last gen wasn't particularly quiet at all. and i drove the current highlander and thought it was pretty quiet. wouldn't be surprised if this significantly refreshed highlander is quieter though. the 8 speed will help with lower rpms, but obviously there's other noise sources like tires, wind, etc.
Old 03-17-16, 08:56 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? i don't know about the new rx, but the last gen wasn't particularly quiet at all. and i drove the current highlander and thought it was pretty quiet. wouldn't be surprised if this significantly refreshed highlander is quieter though. the 8 speed will help with lower rpms, but obviously there's other noise sources like tires, wind, etc.
same here. i was extremely disappointed with the last gen RX. It wasn't as smooth and quiet as i thought it was going to be. It might have just been LA freeways road conditions, but it was pretty bad
Old 03-18-16, 01:09 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More power and better fuel economy? looks like Toyota has gotten my attention again but I'll wait to see the numbers. Seeing the same power train in the the Sienna is definitely a welcome sight.
Old 03-18-16, 04:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

thats why new RX is new RX and old one is old one :-)

There will be obviously large differences in refinement and quality between two vehicles, but of course not everyone needs extra luxury in RX.
Old 03-18-16, 12:42 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Yeah you really need to spend more time with the Highlander to notice. Mostly engine noise and if there are crosswinds the wind noise from outside can get really loud. On the Highlander forums there is a really long thread about the wind noise and there doesn't seem to be a fix.
Old 03-19-16, 05:52 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty happy about this refresh. Next year I will be buying a 3-row crossover. I have been in love with the Highlander for the last couple of years and it was all but a guarantee until Mazda revealed the new CX-9. Then it became an equal battle, both offering different advantages but the Highlander was starting to get a bit stale. This update fixes a lot but the decision is still going to be tough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 highlander