Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 highlander

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The RX350 doesn't require premium, only the RX450h does.
There I go running my mouth, I guess I looked at a hybrid and did not realize it was not the gas only version.
Old 03-14-16, 04:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by socalcpa
This looks way better than the horribly looking 2016 RX. I'll seriously consider it once my 2015 RX lease is up.
I think I would have to agree with this.
Old 03-14-16, 04:55 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely an improvement, the off center badge on the grill really rubbed me the wrong way on the old one.
Old 03-14-16, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Is this the first ever non hybrid Toyota and Lexus in the US with start stop tech?
Yep... also gets proper LED strips front and back, and I would guess LED full headlights.

More important is pre-crash standard with all-speed cruise control standard.

Lots of cool things standard... it wont be cheap but competition isnt either.

This is going to sell really well, current model is breaking its own records as it is, so the question is only how much they can produce.
Old 03-14-16, 06:09 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Slotting between XLE and Limited models, the new sporty SE trim level steps up to unique 19-inch alloy wheels, a sport-tuned suspension, and dark paint on the front grilles, headlight housings, and roof rails. Inside, the 2017 Highlander SE features exclusive black leather-trimmed seats with silver stitching and seat inserts, matching sash and door inserts, and a black front tray.
About time.

Behind the new face sits an available and new 3.5-liter direct-injected V-6 engine mated exclusively to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. Although power figures for the new direct-injected V-6 haven’t been revealed, Toyota says it “will generate significantly more horsepower” than the current model’s 270-hp, 248 lb-ft 3.5-liter V-6.
What 5 more horses?
Old 03-14-16, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The RX350 doesn't require premium, only the RX450h does.
wonder why the hybrid requires premium. people pay a 'premium' (ha) to get the hybrid, only to end up paying a lot more per gallon of gas to get better fuel economy. #fail
Old 03-14-16, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Awesome facelift! I've been on the fence with some recent Toyota/Lexus faces (IS, Camry), but this has all the right lines. Edgy, sporty, truckish, but still conservative and classy. I wish the company all the luck on this. It's well deserved.
Old 03-15-16, 09:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dunno, but if a '15 corolla has 'em, you'd think this should.
I've been thinking that for years... It's about damn time.
Old 03-15-16, 12:43 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Well, I haven't seen the interior yet, but safe to say that members here used to upscale interiors should be ready for a reality check, when the interiors surface. I can appreciate that the love for the Highlander probably has partly to do something with the polarizing RX looks. But the look should be easy to grow into, but much harder would be to accept the ho-hum (read: Economy Class) interior. We'll see.

With respect to LED's and other latest techs, I agree it's about time. Forum members must have noticed that mainstream cars like the latest Honda Civic has taken the charge to bring the latest higher end techs to mass market. LED's back and front, CarPlay, Android Auto, full range collision mitigation etc. We knew this was going to happen as a reaction to Luxury marques trying to woo mainstream customers.

So what's my point? Over time, the differentiation between mainstream and "near mainstream" luxury is going to get even slimmer, if it hasn't already. The separation will be/is in just in the name and the dollar premium for "refinement". Value proposition of refinement per dollar spent is and will remain subjective.

As for me, I have always liked the functionality of the Highlander, and wished for a third row affordable RX-esque Lexus. But with kids, thanks to forum member suggestions, I am happy with a Limited Premium Sienna for the time being. These changes to the Highlander and future Sienna are very welcome. My dream car: A Lexus Pacifica Will it ever build one? Likely not.
Old 03-15-16, 03:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

This is going to sell really well, current model is breaking its own records as it is, so the question is only how much they can produce.
Yeah, my buddy works at Toyota and I was looking at his discount sheet. Noticed that the discount on a Highlander is a whopping $0. Can't meet demand.
Old 03-15-16, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Well, I haven't seen the interior yet, but safe to say that members here used to upscale interiors should be ready for a reality check, when the interiors surface. I can appreciate that the love for the Highlander probably has partly to do something with the polarizing RX looks. But the look should be easy to grow into, but much harder would be to accept the ho-hum (read: Economy Class) interior. We'll see.

With respect to LED's and other latest techs, I agree it's about time. Forum members must have noticed that mainstream cars like the latest Honda Civic has taken the charge to bring the latest higher end techs to mass market. LED's back and front, CarPlay, Android Auto, full range collision mitigation etc. We knew this was going to happen as a reaction to Luxury marques trying to woo mainstream customers.
Normal brands trying to be more premium has been happening for more than 10 years... but reality is that luxury brands are taking more and more of mainstream brand space and selling more vehicles at the expense of mainstream brands.

Corolla has had standard LED headlights for 2 years now... and yet, Lexus and its German competitors are all enjoying record sales and profits.

It is a fight that luxury brands are winning right now.

And Toyota can now hit competition from two direction now, with Highlander and RX. Overall it will make them sell even more cars and make them even more profitable.
Old 03-15-16, 03:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, my buddy works at Toyota and I was looking at his discount sheet. Noticed that the discount on a Highlander is a whopping $0. Can't meet demand.
Hopefully for this facelift, they can also optimize production at Highlander plant to get more vehicles, like they did with Tacoma.... I am thinking 15k per month might become new norm for Highlander.
Old 03-15-16, 07:27 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I will consider it as a replacement to my 2005 Highlander.
Old 03-15-16, 08:16 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

LE and XLE trim levels join the Limited and Limited Platinum as available trims on Highlander Hybrid models.
Really happy to see this - lowered cost hybrid models!
Old 03-15-16, 10:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Well, I haven't seen the interior yet, but safe to say that members here used to upscale interiors should be ready for a reality check, when the interiors surface.
I think you'll be very suprised at just how nice the new interior/dash will be. Heck the existing Highlander Limited is pretty posh IMO.

Quick Reply: 2017 highlander