Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you use an Uber/Lyft motorcycle service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 10:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Would you use an Uber/Lyft motorcycle service?

It's done in some Asian and European countries.

Wondering if anything like this would fly in the U.S? I can only imagine the liability insurance issues with it.

I've actually done a scooter taxi in Asia (it was raining, going through twisty hills; I was only wearing swim shorts and flip flops, no helmet, and I squeezed my thighs as tight as I could without freaking out my driver. ) It was surely a memorable experience.

What's your take on it?

Old 03-11-16, 10:19 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Why not? Throw it, if it sticks, yay!

Old 03-11-16, 10:37 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I've rode in trikes when we visited the Philippines. That was convenient. I'm sure the motorcycles have its benefits especially if you're in a time crunch and traffic congestion is just horrid.
Old 03-11-16, 11:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think enough people in the States have experience riding as a passenger, and so i'd hate to be the "driver" that takes that on.
Old 03-11-16, 11:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This would never fly in the USA, the insurance companies would kill it.

Also most people who take Uber/Lyft are couples or groups of people going out on the town who don't want to drink and drive. I know where I live you can make a killing if you have a 7 or 8 seat minivan or SUV doing uber/lyft.
Old 03-11-16, 11:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Hell no. Not even once.
Old 03-11-16, 11:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This would never fly in the USA, the insurance companies would kill it.

Also most people who take Uber/Lyft are couples or groups of people going out on the town who don't want to drink and drive. I know where I live you can make a killing if you have a 7 or 8 seat minivan or SUV doing uber/lyft.
Why worry about insurance? Hail at your own risk. See if it works. People are just too caught up with insurance companies mktg.
Old 03-11-16, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i'd rather walk.
Old 03-11-16, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

What's your take on it?

From the images you posted, I guess there either are no helmet laws in those countries for riders, or they are not enforced. And that girl, from the way she is sitting with bare legs and arms, is only a couple of inches away from serious abrasion or injury.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-16 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd rather walk.
I'd say don't travel to 3rd world countries. Nobody has insurance coverage the way we think about it over here.
Old 03-12-16, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 0:06

Old 03-12-16, 11:59 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Why worry about insurance? Hail at your own risk. See if it works. People are just too caught up with insurance companies mktg.
See that is the big problem with becoming a Lyft/Uber driver, I'd say 99% of them don't have the proper insurance. If you get into an accident with standard auto insurance while doing Uber/Lyft, your insurance company is going to tell you to pound sand because the policy clearly states that their insurance only covers you for using the vehicle for personal use. You're on your own if one of your passengers(or all of them) decide to sue you.

I thought about doing Lyft/Uber on the side about a year ago. Called my insurance agent 3 times and never could get a straight answer or a quote for what type of insurance I'd need to be fully covered. Every time he did tell me I would not be covered at all if I had an accident while driving for Lyft/Uber, said he'd call me back with a quote on what sort of insurance I needed. Never heard back, so I took that as a sign not to drive for them.
Old 05-23-17, 09:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Rode a scooter Uber today in Ho Chi Minh.

It was raining. My driver made me put on a parka and helmet. Helmet laws are stricter here than other SouthEast Asian countries.

Now, if you don't know how Saigon traffic goes, it's pretty much no holds barred kind of chaos where scooters dart in and out of traffic, on sidewalks, and in daring angles (something went perpendicular or gone the wrong way), as well as cars and pedestrians who don't give a damn about traffic or crosswalks.

I went for 3 kilometers and it cost 50 cents.
Old 05-23-17, 09:28 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

probably never happen in the USA.

I looked into doing Uber and Lyft for side cash, I was told no using my RCF by both because 47 of 50 States have direct laws that require 4-door vehicles when said vehicle is used "for hire" to transport passengers, Motorcycles are specifically excluded from being used as "for hire" in multiple states CA, AZ, NM, NV, WA, OR, NY, FL, to name a few. Multiple states don't even allow motorcycles to be rentals either.
Old 05-23-17, 09:37 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
See that is the big problem with becoming a Lyft/Uber driver, I'd say 99% of them don't have the proper insurance. If you get into an accident with standard auto insurance while doing Uber/Lyft, your insurance company is going to tell you to pound sand because the policy clearly states that their insurance only covers you for using the vehicle for personal use. You're on your own if one of your passengers(or all of them) decide to sue you.

I thought about doing Lyft/Uber on the side about a year ago. Called my insurance agent 3 times and never could get a straight answer or a quote for what type of insurance I'd need to be fully covered. Every time he did tell me I would not be covered at all if I had an accident while driving for Lyft/Uber, said he'd call me back with a quote on what sort of insurance I needed. Never heard back, so I took that as a sign not to drive for them.

State Farm quoted me $53 a month for Uber/Lyft coverage, and it only gives a max of $15K per person/ $25K per accident, $5K property liability during Uber/Lyft usage my personal insurance is suspended, so even if your personal insurance is say $250/$500K/$50K liability, during Uber use the max you are covered for state minimum, additionally no medical coverage for anyone in the car that is injured, even if your personal coverage includes it, car rental and collision coverage is also suspended so if you get in an accident and wreck the car during Uber, you're on your own for repairs.

This is why most people don't have the proper insurance., because the insurance companies do not want you using your vehicle to operate a business, the same rules apply if you use your vehicle for food delivery, which is why Pizza Hut and Dominos started charging a "delivery fee" 10 plus years ago, to cover the insurance they are required (at least in CA) to have on their delivery drivers.

Quick Reply: Would you use an Uber/Lyft motorcycle service?