Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Want RX450h F Sport-stuck with VW Diesel--need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 03:04 PM
DBXL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want RX450h F Sport-stuck with VW Diesel--need advice

I am a former Lexus RX400h owner and I have been strongly looking at the 2016 RX 450h F Sport. In light of the current diesel scandal/issue at VW, and the fact that my 2012 Touareg TDI Diesel has taken a big hit in trade-in value, I wanted to ask you car enthusiasts what you would do:

A) Would you just cut your losses and trade in your VW to move on?;
B) Would you be patient and wait for VW to possibly buy back the vehicle or at least prop back up the trade-in value?;
C) Do you think VW may make a "trade-in" to a new 2016 VW Touareg too irresistible to pass up?
D) Any other thoughts on the matter?

Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by DBXL; 03-09-16 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Original title sounded like a classified ad
Old 03-09-16, 07:42 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was logical me I would wait a while. There likely will be some cash settlement for diminished value and you are probably eligible even if you sell. But you may have other options like a cash buy back or trade enhancement so why not wait to see what's best for you. There may be some demand for the diesel by those that want the better performance. I drove an Audi last spring and was impressed.
But if It were impulsive me I might dump it now just because of the taint and the smell of a new car. Sorry, not much help!
Old 03-09-16, 08:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think the TDI hat you have probably will have no monetary compensation as they have a software fix for those models. However the diminished value may still stand up in a class action. If I were you I`d wait until something come to see what if anything $$$ comes your way from VW. If the thirst is real for a new H, then I would check up to see if the class actions would be retroactive
Old 03-10-16, 02:04 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

The only winner in the VW diesel snafu will be the government.
Old 03-10-16, 05:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
The only winner in the VW diesel snafu will be the government.
And the lawyers.
Old 03-10-16, 05:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Stick with it until we see how this VW scandal plays out. Use the extra time to test drive a Volvo XC90 T8 Hybrid to see if that tickles your fancy too.
Old 03-10-16, 06:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep, just wait a while and see what happens before taking the dealers $5000 trade-in offer...they will really try to rape you if you trade-in now.

...it would be fun to see what VW offers right for a new 2016 Toureg tho...I hear they are really hurting for ANY sale.
Old 03-10-16, 07:00 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may not have long to wait. Article today says the settlement with Gov't due late March. Read in the article about the resignation of VW USA Pres.
Old 03-11-16, 05:52 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

has dropped in trade in value affected
1. Your drivability?
2. Your cash in hand?

I am trying to understand what is the immediate impact of this drop to your state?

I'd say choose (C)
Old 03-11-16, 06:22 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..........

I would get rid of that thing faster than a bullet, not only because of the resale value loss which will never be recovered no mater what settlement you get back from VW but mainly because you are continuing to contribute with the pollution left behind every time you drive it. I would feel guilty every time that engine fires up.

Watching a TDI drive by is no different than watching a pregnant woman smoking....

But that's just me....
Old 03-11-16, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ wow, thanks debbie downer.

you do know ALL cars pollute, right?
Old 03-11-16, 08:31 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBXL
I am a former Lexus RX400h owner and I have been strongly looking at the 2016 RX 450h F Sport. In light of the current diesel scandal/issue at VW, and the fact that my 2012 Touareg TDI Diesel has taken a big hit in trade-in value, I wanted to ask you car enthusiasts what you would do:

A) Would you just cut your losses and trade in your VW to move on?;
B) Would you be patient and wait for VW to possibly buy back the vehicle or at least prop back up the trade-in value?;
C) Do you think VW may make a "trade-in" to a new 2016 VW Touareg too irresistible to pass up?
D) Any other thoughts on the matter?

Thank you for your responses.
There's no reason to dump your Touareg because the damage to resale is already done. In fact, right now might be the worst time because of the market's volatile reaction to the scandal, meaning the value of your car is likely at it's lowest and attitudes will become more tempered in the future.

If you like the car other than the emissions issue, there is no reason to get rid of it. The emissions problem is not your fault, so there's no reason you should have any guilt over the problem; the onus is on VAG to fix the cars they sold.

If I were in your position, given what I wrote above, I would hold on to the car and see how this plays out. I can't imagine any scenario in which things get worse, but many in which they get better. Remember that VAG is a gigantic corporation and many people had nothing to do with this... a scandal in the power unit division doesn't mean anything with regards to the quality of the rest of the car. VW will likely need to boost sales and may offer very nice incentives in the future as a way to regain customer loyalty... if they don't, they may make everyone that trusted their clean diesel mantra swear off VW and Audi for life, which they can't afford to do.
Old 03-13-16, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Count me in on the stick-with it advice. That will ultimately give you more options.
Old 03-14-16, 08:28 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From an enthusiasts mind, I would think highly illogical and just cut my losses and go with what I "Want". Albeit, not a smart financial move- I would still be happy personally if its what I ultimately wanted out of a car.

If it won't hurt you to keep the TDI, just hold onto it and buy the 450H as well. If the VW market looks like its picking up, unload it in the classifieds. This would be the best bet, especially if the TDi is lien free.

Just my .02
Old 03-14-16, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
There's no reason to dump your Touareg because the damage to resale is already done. In fact, right now might be the worst time because of the market's volatile reaction to the scandal, meaning the value of your car is likely at it's lowest and attitudes will become more tempered in the future.

If you like the car other than the emissions issue, there is no reason to get rid of it. The emissions problem is not your fault, so there's no reason you should have any guilt over the problem; the onus is on VAG to fix the cars they sold..
I think main reason is that he likes 2016 RX.

Quick Reply: Want RX450h F Sport-stuck with VW Diesel--need advice