Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog's Cadillac XT5 First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's another good link for those interested in this vehicle. This is one good-looking SUV, BTW....the only ting i don't care for on the outside is the "teardrop" effect next to the front headlights. But the rest of this vehicle is simply gorgeous, IMO.

Note, in the interior photos, the superb set of both primary AND secondary gauges in the analog-effect. That's right.....real oil-pressure/ammeter gauges, not idiot lights. usually, they are only found in trucks and higher-level sports cars. And, note, on the speedometer, how much easier it is to read with the markings in 10-MPH increments (10, 20, 30, etc.....) instead of the much more usual 20, 40, 60, etc.... All speedometers used to be like that decades ago, but then somehow the 20-MPH increments became the norm.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2017-cadillac-xt5/
Old 04-25-16, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The compact and mid-size luxury CUV segments are so popular right now, I'm sure the XT5 will sell well for Cadillac. It should remain its best selling model.
According to initial reviews (I'll withhold my own comments until I sample it for myself), the ride comfort may be too stiff for some potential buyers....they may be more swayed by the softer Lincoln MKX. But, barring that, I'm with you.......I think the XT5 will probably sell to many buyers on its looks alone.
Old 04-25-16, 07:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I sat in an XT5 on Friday and plan to go back for a test drive later this week. A nice vehicle inside and out.
Old 04-25-16, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I sat in an XT5 on Friday and plan to go back for a test drive later this week. A nice vehicle inside and out.
So they are now reaching local dealerships where you are in Illinois? The first ones are (supposedly) on the way to the D.C. area, but haven't reached here yet. (Or the inventory web-sites haven't been updated).

If you get a chance for a test-drive, give us at least a brief report. You don't have to write a whole long review like I do (you might not have time for that LOL), but it would be nice to hear from somebody here in the forum, first hand, what its road manners are like. Recent Cadillac products, of course, have greatly emphasized handling over ride comfort, even with the Magna-shocks.

Also, you probably already know this, but, before a test-drive, make sure the tire PSIs are at or reasonably close to factory-recommended....if they aren't, that can significantly affect road manners, and even damage the tires in some cases. Vehicles usually come off the transporters with their pressures bumped way up (40-50 PSI) for the trip from the factory. The dealership PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) guys are supposed to adjust them to cold recommended pressure (which usually means releasing air out). But, when the vehicles come off the trucks, often they either forget it or just don't do it (what do you expect for a job at or close to minimum-wage)? I often have to adjust them myself, taking into account factors like air temperature and if they have been sitting in the sun heating up....that's why I carry an accurate, dial-type tire gauge with me.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 07:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The dealership received two of them a couple of hours earlier and the rep was nice enough to take me back into the service area where they were being prepped. I got a quick tour and sat in the front and back.
Old 04-26-16, 11:15 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat inside 3 at the Vancouver auto show last month. All of them had sliding cuphold covers which were wobbly! Typical GM. Seen a couple on the road too and the competition looks much better.
Old 05-09-16, 01:27 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Stopped at a Caddy dealer the other day and test drove the new XT5.

Overall it looks bigger than the SRX I think because the roof doesn't curve down like the SRX. The length is 3 inches shorter than the new 4RX but the wheel base is 2.7 inches longer.

I think the interior is beautiful. I like the touch screen being built into the dash. The electronics just seem nicer to me than my NX.

It has a solid feel to it with the 310hp engine. I noticed immediately the hesitation when the engine stops and drops running half the cylinders. Also on startup I noticed a slight jerk when it re engaged. It's very slight but noticeable. I'm not sure if I like that or not . I would have to drive it more to see how it works. Salesman said you can turn that off.

The model I drove was the base which didn't have some features I would have liked to see like the rear view camera. They only had 2 models on the lot and 1 to drive. The other was a Luxury upgrade in the showroom.

I was impressed with this quick hit drive but I'm not sure if it is what I want. I like the size of my NX, it meets our needs. Other issues with it not so much. It will be worth another look when my lease is up, by then there should be a lot of reviews out.
Old 05-09-16, 01:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00

Overall it looks bigger than the SRX I think because the roof doesn't curve down like the SRX. The length is 3 inches shorter than the new 4RX but the wheel base is 2.7 inches longer.

I think the interior is beautiful. I like the touch screen being built into the dash. The electronics just seem nicer to me than my NX.

It has a solid feel to it with the 310hp engine. I noticed immediately the hesitation when the engine stops and drops running half the cylinders. Also on startup I noticed a slight jerk when it re engaged. It's very slight but noticeable. I'm not sure if I like that or not . I would have to drive it more to see how it works. Salesman said you can turn that off.

The model I drove was the base which didn't have some features I would have liked to see like the rear view camera. They only had 2 models on the lot and 1 to drive. The other was a Luxury upgrade in the showroom.

I was impressed with this quick hit drive but I'm not sure if it is what I want. I like the size of my NX, it meets our needs. Other issues with it not so much. It will be worth another look when my lease is up, by then there should be a lot of reviews out.
Really--the Caddy website says Rear Vision Camera is standard? If there's no rearview camera, how can Caddy promote itself as "world class", and debut a brand new SUV, 1 MY before rear view cameras are to be mandatory, and make it optional?

Of course, the website also says that an auto dimming day/night mirror is N/A on the base model--only a manually adjusted dimming mirror. They still think they are BMW....

Last edited by tex2670; 05-09-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 02:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00

I took a test drive in an XT5 last week. I agree with the solid (and quiet) ride. The handling was good too. We were on some rough streets and it was composed during the drive. This one as a base FWD model too. The rep said AWD's would be coming in soon. I could feel the Auto Stop Start. Our BMW has it, but I don't use it, so it was noticeable to me since I'm not used to it. Overall, I liked the XT5 but it's a bit too big for our needs (I'll be replacing a Q5). The styling seems OK to me but I just haven't warmed up to Caddy's angular lines.
Old 05-09-16, 06:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally saw the new XT5. Much smaller than I was expecting. But overall, a very good looking vehicle. Interior design is impressive.
Old 05-10-16, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Finally saw the new XT5. Much smaller than I was expecting. But overall, a very good looking vehicle. Interior design is impressive.
Should be about the same size as the SRX...after all, that's what it's replacing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-10-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Should be about the same size as the SRX...after all, that's what it's replacing.
Yes. But I was under the impression that is larger, that was based on the pics
Old 05-10-16, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. But I was under the impression that is larger, that was based on the pics
Did you get to try out the CUE system, and see if it has improved any, or was the ignition-switch turned off? The CUE system is a MAJOR source of Cadillac complaints.
Old 05-10-16, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you get to try out the CUE system, and see if it has improved any, or was the ignition-switch turned off? The CUE system is a MAJOR source of Cadillac complaints.
Just the saw the exterior of the both the CT6 and the XT5. Both looked fantastic
Old 05-10-16, 05:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

After I test drove the XT5 I compared it online with the SRX and they are virtually the same size. There are minor differences here and there but very close. Cargo capacity is larger in the XT5. The XT5's wheelbase is about 3" longer and it's around 300 pounds lighter than the SRX.

Quick Reply: Autoblog's Cadillac XT5 First Drive