Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This Toyota Land Cruiser is Also a Total Rock Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 05:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pardon me. But bottoming out is the same as getting stuck.
Real off road vehicles never get stuck and you'll never see a winch on them either.
Old 03-27-16, 04:05 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I watched that video long before you posted it. Getting stuck means you can't move forward or backward. Is that what happened Jill? You are not very bright are you?
It is a Lexus forum after all. Not many people are knowledgeable about offroading. Bottoming out is not the same thing as getting stuck. Actually if you're offroading correctly, you bottom out quite often. That's why a lot of trucks have skid plates, large metal shields that cover various components of the undercarriage so you don't rip them apart going over rocks and other obstacles. These weigh hundreds of pounds so are usually aftermarket buys. The LC is still the best, at the very least one of the best, offroaders, out there. Although I'd cringe every time I heard a scrape while driving it.

Last edited by T0ked; 03-27-16 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 07:25 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that I'm an expert however the LC in question was NOT stuck but rather just scraped a rock on the under carriage. Getting stuck is simply where you cannot move....at all. Trust me, I've gotten stuck in some deep you know what through the years with atvs and now RZRS.

The LC was able to get past this obstacle with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails This Toyota Land Cruiser is Also a Total Rock Crawler-image.jpeg  
Old 03-28-16, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

2016 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FIRST TEST REVIEW

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...t-test-review/

Glaciers move slowly, but their enormous size and commensurate weight have massive erosional effects on the ground beneath them. In some cases, that slow scraping can polish the hardest rocks to a smooth finish. A similarly slow-and-steady approach to product development (and an allegorical curb weight) has allowed the unstoppable Toyota Land Cruiser to be polished into the rare gemstone we have today.

The 200 Series Land Cruiser (the only model imported to the U.S.) was last overhauled in 2008, and until this year, virtually nothing changed. Even this refresh doesn’t do much to the spec sheet. An eight-speed automatic transmission that has zero effect on the fuel economy, a new nose and tail, nicer leather, and a handful of electronic features introduced to minivans years ago are nothing to get breathless about. As always, the Land Cruiser is the embodiment of the “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” axiom, and it’s all the better for it....
Old 03-28-16, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
. Bottoming out is not the same thing as getting stuck. Actually if you're offroading correctly, you bottom out quite often.
.........And much of that depends on what your vehicle's approach, breakover, and departure angles are. In general, the higher the angles, the less likely you are to hit something or bottom out.

That's one thing that has made the Jeep Wrangler so good off-road....consistantly very high angles in its design, over many years.