Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to keep that new car smell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 03:46 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to keep that new car smell?

We just picked up a new RX a few days back and I love the new car smell, I loved it with our 13 GS and with our 12 G37 - but that smell only lasts a few weeks. The tree air freshener "new car smell" smells nothing like a new car, I read somewhere that Adams leather cleaner leaves a good smell but that's only for a few days. Please share any thoughts, ideas.
I know the new car smell is from the leather / plastic / chemicals settling, but I still love it, makes the car feel newer longer.
Old 02-28-16, 04:35 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The only option is not to drive it

But in all seriousness, there is nothing you can do to bring that scent back.

I personally never use any car airfreshners, they make the car smell like a laundromat.

Just condition your leather regularly, and keep her clean.
Old 02-28-16, 05:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how to keep the new car smell longer?

-keep windows up and doors closed as much as possible
-don't drive with windows down.
-use recirculated air instead of fresh.
-no smoking in car
-zero food in car
Old 02-28-16, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lions81
The tree air freshener "new car smell" smells nothing like a new car,
Is this the one you are refering to?

Old 02-28-16, 05:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys AIR10116 New Car Smell Premium Air Freshener and Odor Eliminator - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys AIR10116 New Car Smell Premium Air Freshener and Odor Eliminator - 16 oz.: Automotive

Old 02-28-16, 06:05 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is this the one you are refering to?

Yes, exactly that - it has a lemony scent to it, it's not bad - but far from a new car smell.
Old 02-28-16, 06:07 PM
Lions81
Driver School Candidate

Will try this, thank you.
Old 02-28-16, 06:57 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Why would you want to keep that new car smell? Much of the volatile organic compounds that cause that scent are health hazards.
Old 02-28-16, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Why would you want to keep that new car smell? Much of the volatile organic compounds that cause that scent are health hazards.
Exactly. From Wikipedia:

Both the scent and what produces it varies somewhat in different kinds of cars. Most of the interior of an automobile consists of plastic held together with a number of adhesives and sealers. Such materials release volatile organic compounds, via outgassing or offgassing. These fumes are generally attributed mixtures of many different chemicals offgassing and to plasticizers, although their vapor pressures are very low and they are not considered volatile.[1]

Researchers tested more than 200 U.S. vehicles of model years 2011–2012 for chemicals such as organobromine compounds (associated with brominated flame retardants, or BFRs), organochlorine compounds (e.g., polyvinyl chloride, or PVC), and heavy metals that off-gas from various parts such as the steering wheel, dashboard, armrests and seats.[2]

Some recommend keeping new cars well ventilated while driving, especially during the summer. A 1995 analysis[3] of the air from a new Lincoln Continental found over 50 volatile organic compounds, which were identified as coming from sources such as cleaning and lubricating compounds, paint, carpeting, leather and vinyl treatments, latex glue, and gasoline and exhaust fumes. An analysis two months after the initial one found a significant reduction in the chemicals. The researchers observed that the potential toxicity of many of these compounds could pose a danger to human health.

The total volatile organic compound levels can reach 7,500 micrograms per cubic meter.[4] Concentrations decayed approximately 90% over a three-week period. Over sixty chemical compounds were identified inside the interiors of the four vehicles in this study.

In some instances the odor results from a manufacturing defect. According to official documents of Bentley Motors (BT26), an "obnoxious odor" in Bentley cars for model years 1999–2002was traced to a rust inhibitor.[5]
Old 02-28-16, 08:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been consistently able to keep my new car smell for two years after new. I have no idea what has caused this, but it's confirmed ever time someone gets in my car within those two years. All I can report is I never wash the car at a facility nor use a hose. I only wipe it down with a damp rag. The interior I wipe down with a clean, damp rag once a week. I never add any chemicals or liquids to the dash or plastics. And I treat the leather three times per year with Lexol or Lexus's own leather treatment wipes. Beyond that, I drive with the windows down during warm temps and never use the A/C. Somehow, it all works.
Old 02-28-16, 08:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've found this product to be awesome for your leather seats. Brings back that rich new car leather smell as well. Also works wonders if your seats are getting dried out/rock hard.

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 02-28-16, 10:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

my car is over a year old and still has the new car smell. love it.
Old 02-29-16, 07:38 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New car smells usually last for at least a couple years in my experience. I would recommend not eating anything in the car, not spilling any drinks, and regularly wiping down the dash/doors/seats once a month. Apply leather cleaner/conditioner (either Lexus brand or Lexol) 2-3 times per year. Wear clean clothes, have good hygiene, and clean your rubber floor mats regularly (yes rubber mats are a must)
Old 03-01-16, 10:15 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Humans love breathing in hazards.

Cigars/Cigarette
Marijuana
Petrol/Gas
Charcoal BBQ
Old 03-01-16, 12:06 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Humans love breathing in hazards.

Cigars/Cigarette
Marijuana
Petrol/Gas
Charcoal BBQ
The second one is hardly a hazard. To quote Bill Murray, the most dangerous thing about marijuana is getting caught with it :-)

Quick Reply: How to keep that new car smell?