Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 01:23 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Consumer Reports says after 3 years on top, Lexus has dropped to 3rd place behind Audi & Subaru in the CR annual report card on brand reliability & performance.

On another note, IMHO Lexus is not living up to their advertising campaign on striving for perfection etc.
Old 02-25-16, 01:55 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crankshaft
Consumer Reports says after 3 years on top, Lexus has dropped to 3rd place behind Audi & Subaru in the CR annual report card on brand reliability & performance.
For the millionth time that CR report is about an average score of road test results and reliability ratings, not reliability alone. As far as reliability goes Lexus still sits at the very top of the most recent CR annual reliability survey.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...r-reliability/
On another note, IMHO Lexus is not living up to their advertising campaign on striving for perfection etc.
And which car company is perfection? FYI Lexus hasn't used the perfection slogan for over 6 years in any of their PRs or websites. Their new slogan is called Amazing in Motion.
Old 02-25-16, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
For the millionth time that CR report is about an average score of road test results and reliability ratings, not reliability alone. As far as reliability goes Lexus still sits at the very top of the most recent CR annual reliability survey.
The fact that so many are interpreting it that way, though, shows that the way the report was written is confusing. It is VERY easy to come up with the same conclusion that crankshaft did......I did so myself.
Old 02-25-16, 02:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The fact that so many are interpreting it that way, though, shows that the way the report was written is confusing. It is VERY easy to come up with the same conclusion that crankshaft did......I did so myself.
It was Automotive News' fault, not Consumer Reports'. And for some funny reason everyone was quoting Automotive News instead of the original source, likely because it would make for a more attention-grabbing headline.
Old 02-25-16, 02:05 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default Front page news!

Front page news indeed!
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...ability-study/
Old 02-25-16, 02:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Well, to be fair, he did say:

But in any case, we have an entire thread dedicated to the CR topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-ranking.html
Old 02-25-16, 02:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
Well, to be fair, he did say:

But in any case, we have an entire thread dedicated to the CR topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-ranking.html
I know, but in the context of this VDS thread I'm sure he meant to refer to that ranking as a reliability ranking as a contrast to JD Power's dependability (reliability) ranking.

Last edited by ydooby; 02-25-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 03:17 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...r-reliability/And which car company is perfection? FYI Lexus hasn't used the perfection slogan for over 6 years in any of their PRs or websites. Their new slogan is called Amazing in Motion.
Just last week on TV I saw a new Lexus pursuit of perfection ad.

This link shows the one in January of this year.
Name:  hmm.gif
Views: 176
Size:  2.2 KB
Old 02-25-16, 03:22 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Just last week on TV I saw a new Lexus pursuit of perfection ad.

This link shows the one in January of this year.
2016 Lexus RX THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION Commercial Jeb Corliss In Step Forward - YouTube
Thanks for the link. Doesn't change the fact that they're still on top of reliability rankings and that they've been continually improving in other aspects. Just because they're in pursuit of perfection it doesn't mean they're perfection, which no one is.
Old 02-25-16, 03:40 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

The Lexus brand is just not the same as it once was. In 1999 Lexus RX had hardly any problems.....as an example the new NX is loaded with first year problems and 2nd year.....search out the NX forum.
Bottom line I passed on buying.
Old 02-25-16, 03:54 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's just systemic of all cars; the more complex they become, the more problems they tend to have.

However, in regards to overall problems, while the quantity may have gone up at Lexus because of this, that is not to say the quantity has not gone up elsewhere. On the contrary, I'm sure they have even more problems. Percentage-wise, it's the same at Lexus versus others. We may count X problems at Lexus now versus the smaller Y of two decades ago, but fail to see the gigantic Z elsewhere. Grass isn't always greener.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-16, 08:42 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I thought Cadillac was pretty reliable these days.
Old 07-03-16, 09:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Looking back at this article. MB claimed that 77% of the 3 million vehicles are still on the road in 2003. I find that hard to believe.
Old 07-03-16, 09:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looking back at this article. MB claimed that 77% of the 3 million vehicles are still on the road in 2003. I find that hard to believe.
% of vehicles still on the road after 10 years, is a popular claim for a variety cars and trucks over the years. I don't really know where they come up with the numbers, but I'm sure it helps in their marketing to imply durability and reliability etc.
Old 07-03-16, 03:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I liked that RX commercial. The new one is miles ahead of the still well received 3rd gen. I'd wager that after the RX350L and RX450hL debut, come mid cycle refresh they'll drop a new spunky new powertrain that will compliment the styling.

Quick Reply: 2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study