Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2017 Acura MDX

Acura Press:

Redesigned and Reengineered 2017 Acura MDX to Debut at 2016 New York International Auto Show

America's best-selling three-row luxury SUV to receive substantial design changes, new features and new powertrain technology

TORRANCE, Calif. (Feb. 24, 2016) – Acura will unveil the redesigned and reengineered 2017 MDX luxury SUV at the 2016 New York International Auto Show on March 23. The 2017 MDX will boast substantial design enhancements, added luxury comfort and convenience features, and advanced new powertrain technology, in concert with the Acura brand's focus on Precision Crafted Performance.

"We are sharpening our focus on the Precision Crafted Performance DNA of the Acura brand and the 2017 MDX will integrate new styling elements and powertrain technology that takes us another step in that direction," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time and Acura's best-selling SUV, with sales topping 50,000 units in each of the past three years. The 2017 MDX was designed by the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, Calif. and will continue be produced at the company's Lincoln, Ala. auto plant. In early 2017, an additional production source for MDX will be added at the East Liberty, Ohio auto plant. Both plants will use domestic and globally sourced parts.

For More Information

Consumer information is available at www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/Acura. Additional media information including pricing, features and high-resolution photography is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/24/2...yias-official/
Old 02-24-16, 01:30 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ugly minivan like portion is a huge turn down in my eyes, but I don't think it can be re-done for this gen. It needs more refinements in other departments.

2015 was its 2nd MY, and the sale was down, while most other brands enjoy a SUV hot trend.
Old 02-24-16, 01:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a heavy refreshed. Hope it turn out great.
Old 02-24-16, 01:47 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

good to know - a friend is currently shopping and pricing out 2016 MDX and this may be worthwhile for him to wait it out for a few months to get better clarity if the change is coming around the corner...
Old 02-24-16, 03:46 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the height of current MDX is way too low. it looks like a huge station wagon instead of a premium SUV (even with 19'' wheels).
Old 02-24-16, 07:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For a second I thought I was looking at this:

Name:  bugatti-chiron-frankfurt-germany-sep-vision-gran-turismo-world-debut-iaa-59551230_zpsg2.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  140.1 KB
Old 02-25-16, 01:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The current unit is not that old at all. Isn't that a little quick for a redesign?
All that really matters here, as with all Acuras, is dumping the heavy shield grille. No one has liked it and it has brought down the brand since it debuted. If the rendering is accurate, we are headed down the right path.
Everything else with this SUV earns kudos from critics and hits high marks. It's wildly popular and certainly loved in my neck of the woods (suburban L.A.).
Old 02-25-16, 05:27 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
For a second I thought I was looking at this:

that's a very broad comparo lol

glad the beak is being phased out - look pretty aggressive from the sketches
Old 02-25-16, 11:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I want to see Acura get aggressive with this . Its one of their best sellers and I still think the most respectable vehicle in their line . The rest dont seem appealing or competitive to me. Maybe I drank too much Lexus Kool-Aide
Old 02-26-16, 08:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The current unit is not that old at all. Isn't that a little quick for a redesign?
All that really matters here, as with all Acuras, is dumping the heavy shield grille. No one has liked it and it has brought down the brand since it debuted. If the rendering is accurate, we are headed down the right path.
Everything else with this SUV earns kudos from critics and hits high marks. It's wildly popular and certainly loved in my neck of the woods (suburban L.A.).
It'll likely be A-pillar forward. Extensive mid-cycle refreshes are becoming quite common now as automakers are doing anything they can to keep demand up.
Old 03-23-16, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2017 Acura MDX

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2017-...#slide-3840413

Refreshed 2017 Acura MDX Makes World Debut in New York with Bold New Styling, Upgraded Features and Sport Hybrid Powertrain

Mar 23, 2016 - NEW YORK
2017 MDX showcases new diamond pentagon grille first seen on the Acura Precision Concept
New Sport Hybrid powertrain delivers the ultimate in power and control while gaining 35 horsepower and anticipated to add 7 mpg to city fuel economy rating
AcuraWatch™ safety and driver assist technology to be offered as standard equipment on all 2017 MDX models

Acura today unveiled the restyled and refreshed 2017 MDX luxury SUV featuring bold new styling, added luxury features and available Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) powertrain technology. The 2017 Acura MDX will be equipped with AcuraWatch™ on all grades, making MDX the first luxury SUV in its class to offer these advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including automatic emergency braking, as standard features. The 2017 MDX is slated to go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide this summer and will be joined by the MDX Sport Hybrid later in the year.

Showcasing the new face of Acura, the restyled 2017 MDX is highlighted by the bold and distinctive diamond pentagon grille, first seen on the Acura Precision Concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show in January. The new Acura grille is integrated with a more sharply sculpted hood, front fascia and front fenders coupled with new LED fog lights and restyled Jewel Eye™ headlights, which enhance the MDX's distinctive and sporting demeanor. A new chrome rocker panel design adds an element of contrast to the MDX's profile, while a revised rear bumper, body colored skid garnish and the addition of twin tailpipes further emphasizes the performance character of the 2017 Acura MDX.

"Upping the performance pedigree of the MDX with bold styling, our exclusive Sport Hybrid powertrain and the standard application of AcuraWatch technologies that many in the industry refer to as semi-autonomous, represents a major injection of Acura's Precision Crafted Performance DNA," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "These changes will continue to advance MDX's competitiveness and its legacy as the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time."

All 2017 MDX models benefit from increased standard luxury and technology features, including an Electric Parking Brake with Automatic Brake Hold, Auto High Beam headlights, SiriusXM Radio® 2.0 and four 2.5-amp USB charging ports. Technology and Advance packages add Bi-Directional Keyless Remote Engine Start, two new 20-inch wheel and tire options, power folding side mirrors, and HD Traffic. In addition to these features, Advance grades add LED fog lights, genuine Olive Ash Burl or Black Limba wood interior trim, a heated steering wheel and Surround-View Camera System with six selectable viewing angles. Advance models can also be equipped with two second-row captain's chairs and a center console with two additional USB ports, replacing the three-person second-row seating found on lower grades. An ultra-widescreen Rear Entertainment System is also available on models with the Advance ENT Package.

MDX Sport Hybrid

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is the third model to feature Acura's innovative three-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD powertrain, joining the Acura NSX supercar and RLX flagship sedan to deliver the ultimate in power and control. The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is powered by a 3.0-liter DOHC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (7DCT) with an integrated electric motor powering the front wheels, and a Twin Motor Unit with two electric motors providing power to the rear wheels. Additionally, the system delivers electrified torque vectoring for improved straight line performance and cornering precision in combination with all-wheel-drive power application. Peak powertrain output of 325 horsepower is up 35 horsepower over the non-hybrid model. The MDX Sport Hybrid is anticipated to receive EPA fuel economy ratings of 25/26/26 (city/highway/combined), an estimated 7-mpg city fuel economy rating increase over the (non-hybrid) MDX with SH-AWD.

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will be available with Technology and Advance packages. Both add a new Active Sport Suspension that delivers improved ride quality, handling performance and is integrated with the Integrated Dynamics System featuring the dynamic modes of Comfort, Normal and Sport, and exclusive to Sport Hybrid models, a new Sport+ mode.

AcuraWatch Standard

All 2017 MDX models receive the AcuraWatch suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technology as standard equipment, including Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision. Moreover, with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Lane Keeping Assist, AcuraWatch can significantly decrease the driver's workload during freeway cruising by maintaining a set speed and following interval, initiating both braking and throttle inputs, and adding steering input to help the driver maintain their position in the detected lane.

The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time and Acura's best-selling SUV, with sales topping 50,000 units in each of the past three years. The 2017 MDX was designed by the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, Calif., developed and engineered at the R&D center in Raymond, Ohio, and will continue to be produced at the company's Lincoln, Ala. auto plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. In early 2017, an additional production source for MDX will be added at the East Liberty, Ohio auto plant.
Old 03-23-16, 02:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

finally beakless.
Old 03-23-16, 02:14 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Ummmm holy crap! What have they done!?!?!? Maybe it looks better in person, but...but...i highly doubt it. Did Kia play a prank on them? It is close to April 1st.
Old 03-23-16, 02:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is monumental. Acura has alienated us for over 12 years with the ungainly shield grille. I'm going out tonight to celebrate the return of this brand as a legit contender! And one other extra indulgement for the return of tailpipe tips!
Old 03-23-16, 02:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder when/if Lexus will eventually tone down the spindle?

Quick Reply: 2017 Acura MDX