Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Luxury Sales Battle Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 04:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2015 Luxury Sales Battle Review

Lexus tops BMW in U.S. registrations; 2015 luxury title in dispute
Not so fast on BMW winning the 2015 U.S. luxury crown over Lexus and Mercedes.

According to manufacturer-reported sales released last month, BMW won. But Polk said today that Lexus was tops in U.S. vehicle registrations last year with 340,392 vs. BMW’s 335,259.

It’s a twist in the annual hotly contested luxury brand race, with BMW, Mercedes and Lexus jockeying throughout the year. On Jan. 5, BMW reported total 2015 sales of 346,023. That was 1,422 more than Lexus and 2,935 ahead of Mercedes (excluding Sprinter).

“Luxury sales leadership as measured by vehicle registrations is important to Lexus as it represents actual consumers engaging directly with our dealers,” Lexus General Manager Jeff Bracken told Automotive News in an email.

BMW spokesman Kenn Sparks said, “Many factors influence registrations, and as a result, registrations often lag sales, especially at the end of the year.”

The U.S. registration numbers from Polk, a unit of IHS Automotive, are lower than reported sales for all three brands: By 4,209 for Lexus, 10,764 for BMW and 8,396 for Mercedes.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...home-mostright

King is back! Dealers buying vehicles to stuff end of year sales for BMW already happened in 2012:

BMW’s claim to the 2012 luxury-brand crown was disputed by Mercedes-Benz after Polk later reported Mercedes had 5,025 more registrations than BMW. The two German automakers had traded barbs for weeks after BMW had reported a huge December sales surge to claim the title.

Then Mercedes-Benz USA CEO Steve Cannon fired the final shot in that spat: “We're the leader in the luxury segment, at least when you're talking about cars in customer hands,” he huffed. “Volumes can be manipulated. Registrations, not so easy.”
Old 02-13-16, 04:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about cars sold in December and not registered till next year? I know lot of my customers bought cars in December due to the end of year sale.
Old 02-13-16, 04:57 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of those European brands have been shipped to China and other 3rd world countries.
Old 02-13-16, 07:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And RX, ES and NX are the major sellers. What does this tell you about who's buying what? The comparison between a dedicated German sports sedan company and sales on a shared FWD platform are tough to translate.

Total sales don't always give you an actual "enthusiast" breakdown of why people buy certain car models.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/10/...-sales-report/
Old 02-13-16, 11:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe this is due to Lexus's recent redesigns which are pretty drastic and different than the cars they replace. This new freshness has led to a lot of dealership traffic, whereas the last few redesigns of the 3, 5, and 7 have all looked pretty much the same. Even worse, they all look like each other. Offerings like that become tiring quickly. At least the IS looks like it's own car, creating a new and separate attraction for the brand.
Old 02-14-16, 07:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
How about cars sold in December and not registered till next year? I know lot of my customers bought cars in December due to the end of year sale.
how about BMW having a history of "cheating" the system as head of Mercedes pointed out when they did the same in 2012.

In European car sales, they only use registration based sales reports, not when dealer buys a vehicle like in the USA. So it is much harder to cheat at the end of the year.

There is no reason for BMW to have 2.5x more unregistered sold vehicles than Lexus. And coincedentally, Lexus sells almost 15% more vehicles in January than BMW. Coincidence or dealer selling December vehicles still?

More from Autoblog:

Remember, car companies don't actually sell cars directly to the public. Instead, a sale is lodged by an automaker when a vehicle is delivered to a dealership. Actual end consumers buy new cars, in almost all cases, from one of these franchised dealers. So, BMW delivered 346,023 vehicles to dealerships in 2015, but only 335,259 of them were sold to and therefore registered by their new owners. Presumably, those 11,000 BMWs did (or will) end up in the driveways of consumers, but they hadn't before January 1, 2016.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/14/b...sales-dispute/
Old 02-14-16, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I believe this is due to Lexus's recent redesigns which are pretty drastic and different than the cars they replace. This new freshness has led to a lot of dealership traffic, whereas the last few redesigns of the 3, 5, and 7 have all looked pretty much the same. Even worse, they all look like each other. Offerings like that become tiring quickly. At least the IS looks like it's own car, creating a new and separate attraction for the brand.
Yep, no doubt about it... sales and avg. transaction prices are going up. Germans do have more SUVs and thats going to help in short term, so Lexus better come out with CX and TX soon!
Old 02-14-16, 01:11 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Many of those European brands have been shipped to China and other 3rd world countries.
Do you have any data, or is that just a hunch?
Old 02-14-16, 01:43 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doge
It is no secret since the small companies & individuals have been doing it for more than a decade.
If anyone have opportunities to be in China, just take a tour at any major seaport. Thousands of US version vehicles for sale there at anytime, mainly European brand SUVs.
Old 02-14-16, 01:46 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The mere fact that BMW and Lexus sales are in the same ballpark says somethings about both of them, in the positive.
Old 02-14-16, 03:38 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Great news. New designs, and new models definitely helped the brand to get to the top.

However, for the next few years we are not expecting anything new from Lexus.Yes, the LC is coming and the new LS will be out very soon, but both are not volume models, so the sales numbers won't really move up by much. Lexus will still rely on RX, ES and NX to do the heavy lifting. Hopefully, the sales will stay strong for those models.
Old 02-14-16, 04:13 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
And RX, ES and NX are the major sellers. What does this tell you about who's buying what? The comparison between a dedicated German sports sedan company and sales on a shared FWD platform are tough to translate.

Total sales don't always give you an actual "enthusiast" breakdown of why people buy certain car models.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/10/...-sales-report/
CLA? oh wait, that's shared with Nissan, it only counts it's incestuous.

Sales are sales, no matter who and why people buy them. The point of this thread is 'people ' buying them, not just dealers moving stock around to pad numbers.
Old 02-14-16, 04:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
He's absolutely right. Manufacturers hate it and have been battling with their dealers to put controls in to stop this lucrative exportation of US-market vehicles for some time now. I noticed yesterday that TTAC (a site which normally do not like, mind you) actually published an article about this very subject.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...alers-exports/
Old 02-14-16, 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
CLA? oh wait, that's shared with Nissan, it only counts it's incestuous.

Sales are sales, no matter who and why people buy them. The point of this thread is 'people ' buying them, not just dealers moving stock around to pad numbers.
So on the one hand it's incestuous and on the other hand sales are sales. Which is it? Point of this thread is BMW topping Lexus in U.S. luxury sales.

You're the one talking about the CLA, not me. I'm talking about where the bulk of the sales are happening re. BMW - Lexus. Absolute numbers can be an indicator but you can't just use that as a headline without context.
Old 02-14-16, 05:26 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
So on the one hand it's incestuous and on the other hand sales are sales. Which is it? Point of this thread is BMW topping Lexus in U.S. luxury sales.

You're the one talking about the CLA, not me. I'm talking about where the bulk of the sales are happening re. BMW - Lexus. Absolute numbers can be an indicator but you can't just use that as a headline without context.
Your first point was about comparing sales for a luxury sedan manufacturers vs a shared FWD platform manufacturer. The CLA was meant to question that.

You then went on to state that sales numbers don't distinguish enthusiasts buyers. Who cares if they don't?

Lexus sales are higher than BMW for 2015, based on registration numbers. Plain and simple.

Quick Reply: 2015 Luxury Sales Battle Review