Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Nissan Armada

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 07:04 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Nissan Armada

2017 Nissan Armada full-size SUV makes world debut at Chicago Auto Show
-Designed for full-size family adventures, the 2017 Armada offers new exterior and interior designs, along with enhanced performance from new 390-horsepower 5.6-liter Endurance® V8 and 7-speed automatic transmission
-Features class-exclusive* available safety and security features, including Predictive Forward Collision Warning, Blind Spot Intervention, Backup Collision Intervention and Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection
-The new generation of Nissan's flagship SUV is due to arrive in summer 2016
-Will be on display at Chicago's McCormick Place, Feb. 13th through 21st

Nissan debuted the all-new 2017 Armada full-size SUV this evening prior to its upcoming appearance at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show, the largest auto show in North America. Nissan is also displaying a trio of "Winter Warriors," custom-built Pathfinder, Murano and Rogue models equipped with special snow tracks in place of their wheels and tires.

The new Armada features a fresh exterior design, a comfortable full-feature cabin, enhanced performance and an extensive list of available safety and convenience features – including Predictive Forward Collision Warning (PFCW), Backup Collision Intervention (BCI), Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) and Distance Control Assist (DCA), Lane Departure Prevention (LDP), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW).

"With the introduction of the all-new, second-generation Armada full-size SUV, the last piece of Nissan's transformation of its SUV and crossover lineup falls into place following the recent makeovers of our Pathfinder, Murano and Rogue models," said Phil O'Connor, Director, Chief Marketing Manager, Nissan North America, Inc. "We're particularly proud that with this new Armada we're setting a new standard in class, offering advanced safety and security features usually reserved for much higher priced luxury sedans or premium SUVs."

The 2017 Nissan Armada
The new Armada also continues the nameplate's reputation for value and choice, offering a range of three high-content grade levels – SV, SL and Platinum – in both 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive configurations. In addition, the 2017 Armada offers an exceptional array of standard features, including Nissan Navigation with NavTraffic and NavWeather information (SiriusXM® subscription required, sold separately) and 8.0-inch color display, heated front seats and 13-speaker Bose® audio system.

The all-new Armada is built on the heritage of the Nissan Patrol, which has been a workhorse for the world for many decades. While it is intended primarily for family adventures here in North America, Armada remains true to its roots as a strong, durable and authentic full-size, 8-passenger SUV. As part of its adventure-ready spirit, the new Armada offers standard towing capacity of 8,500 pounds for both 4WD and 2WD models (when properly equipped).

Armada's redesigned body features an aggressive stance with bold V-motion front grille and standard LED low-beam headlights and signature LED Daytime Running Lights – maintaining the previous generation's rugged, athletic image but with added contemporary style. In the rear, bold combination lights include LED taillights.

Inside, the 2017 Armada combines style, roominess and premium interior comfort – including special emphasis on quietness and quick interior cooling and heating. "Library level" interior noise levels (at idle) are achieved through the use of acoustic glass on the windshield and the front side windows, as well as through expanded use (versus the previous generation) of sound absorption materials.

The new Endurance V8, while maintaining the same 5.6-liter displacement as its predecessor, offers an increase in horsepower to 390 from the previous 317, thanks in part to the addition of several advanced technologies – including new Direct Injection Gas (DIG™) and advanced VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) systems. Also new is the advanced 7-speed automatic transmission, which replaces the previous 5-speed automatic.

The all-new Nissan Armada 8-passenger SUV just got an upgrade thanks to some luxurious family ties.
Old 02-10-16, 08:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

good lord, Nissan completely lost their way on this thing.

Hideous
Old 02-10-16, 09:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh man, just the QX is not ugly enough...
Old 02-10-16, 09:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not really a surprise though, the Patrol has existed in this gen internationally.

At least Nissan has the guts to provide an updated Full Size SUV. Sequoia gets absolutely nothing, despite Tundra getting much needed interior improvements back with the 2014 Model Year.
Old 02-10-16, 09:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Its not very attractive... had to get that out there hah

To it's credit, it looks very plush inside, and capable on the outside. Glad they scrapped the plastic filled Armada we've known, for the Patrol.

Good news the QX80 still makes 10 more hp

differentiation
Old 02-10-16, 10:06 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not really a surprise though, the Patrol has existed in this gen internationally.

At least Nissan has the guts to provide an updated Full Size SUV. Sequoia gets absolutely nothing, despite Tundra getting much needed interior improvements back with the 2014 Model Year.
I agree, this is much better than the Sequoia anyway (a very old design). Toyota gives me the impression, they intended to cancel it, then backed out. Design is subjective, even though I am not particularly fond of the original Y62 Patrol fascia. I do find the Armada version to be a better interpretation. The Tahoe and Suburban are quite ugly at the front.

This is meant to be a stop-gap at a 2-3 year run, while the next generation full-size SUVs (62-Series successors) are prepared for 2019. After the last facelift in 2014, design of those two redesigns wrapped up.

At this point, even the next generation Pathfinder (R53) and QX60 (L51) have been designed as well, as of 4 weeks ago. Those two CUVs are of course getting facelifts right now, parallel to the next generation set (2019) reaching design freeze in July.

If anyone feels this "new" Armada is belated, there are reasons for that, as a Titan-based successor wasn't feasible for many reasons, resulting in this by December 2013 (initial approval). They are trying to catch up on lost time.

Although a little bit of the opposite, Lexus introduced this rebadged LX450 last minute in early 1996, 18 months after 100-Series reached sign-off and right as the Lexus LX470 reached its own sign-off by late 1995/early 1996. At that point, the 80-Series Land Cruiser was 6 years old, with only 2 years left.

What will matter more is what the next generation Patrol and QX80 bring to the table. The only truly fresh competitors in the Armada's segment in the US, are the GM full-size SUVs. Those are also being redesigned by late 2019. The rest are outdated or too expensive for the average consumer (Land Cruiser). This is a good offering, even if "old".

A good amount of the Ford Expedition dates back to the U222 of 2002, that was designed by 1999 and its replacement isn't due until 2017. I believe that Toyota might replace the Sequoia with an extended Land Cruiser family.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-10-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 04:41 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Great points as usual.

Originally Posted by cmk1
What will matter more is what the next generation Patrol and QX80 bring to the table. The only truly fresh competitors in the Armada's segment in the US, are the GM full-size SUVs. Those are also being redesigned by late 2019. The rest are outdated or too expensive for the average consumer (Land Cruiser). This is a good offering, even if "old".

A good amount of the Ford Expedition dates back to the U222 of 2002, that was designed by 1999 and its replacement isn't due until 2017. I believe that Toyota might replace the Sequoia with an extended Land Cruiser family.
I believe as long as Nissan manages to greatly expand 3rd row comfort for the next generation they'll do just fine. I was very impressed with the chassis tuning of the QX80 (then QX56) at debut compared to the contemporary Escalade.

Personally, I'm curious of if FCA will scrape up funds to field their own entry into this segment. I still don't have a firm grasp on just how big the Grand Wagoneer will be...or if perhaps the rumored RAM full-size SUV will materialize.
Old 02-11-16, 05:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Hold on a second. Nissan had the guts to do what? Cancel a slow selling vehicle that was sold for 13 model years. Toyota Sequoia made it at least two separate generations while it coexisted in the USA with another Toyota BOF vehicle all at the same time.

The current Sequoia is in its 9th model year, (it skipped a year) and its not like the Tacoma, LS, previous Avalon didn't go 10 years without a significant redesign. This is just what the current climate is like right now.

With that said, I fully expect the Sequoia and Land Cruiser to be consolidated into one platform.
Old 02-11-16, 09:17 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like a great way to save a few bucks and buy a much better looking truck over that Infiniti monstrosity.

BTW in terms of passenger space for all 3 rows, this is the best SUV out on the market right now unless you go for an Expidition L or Suburban, which are about a foot or two longer.

Glad to see Nissan finally coming to their senses and just giving us the goods here. For those who don't know, this has been Nissan's top of the line Land Cruiser competitor in developing markets for 40 years. While never as popular as the Land Cruiser, it was considered a very reliable, rugged, and luxurious alternative that wasn't going to break down on you in the middle of the desert or in hostile rebel territory.

It was rather insulting that they sold this great SUV everywhere but here. We here in the USA got shat on with what I feel was an inferior product the day it was introduced, and then continued on for 13 years unchanged.
Old 02-11-16, 10:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks like a QX80 with a Nissan grill, interior is almost the same too. Could be a good deal if you can't afford a QX80 but like it.
Old 02-11-16, 11:27 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a far cry from the Armada and a new entry (here in the U.S. at least) to this segment. And that is why I like it. They picked the ugliest color offered to showcase it of course and it shrinks in every possible interior dimension to the outgoing Pathfinder Armada-kinda not cool. But with that being said, its essentially a Nissan Patrol-which a lot of people might not know has almost as legendary-a-rep as the Land Cruiser off these shores insofar as capability and toughness. Probably not a gamble for Nissan though to lend the family rep. Monster motor in this thing too.

I could see myself in this.

Last edited by Sweatshop; 02-11-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 11:53 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always found the interior of the Infiniti QX to be somewhat ugly and lacking in details (for example, the sunroof cover is made of the flimsiest cardboard out there). However, I think the interior is certainly befitting of a Nissan badge.

I don't know why anybody would buy the QX anymore when it's basically a rebadged Nissan. I understand that the Escalade is a rebadged Tahoe but at least the quality of the interiors differ by quite a lot, the Armada/QX are carbon copies of one another. The only legitimate Japanese full size luxo SUV worth considering is the refreshed LX.
Old 02-11-16, 01:07 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just when I though the QX80 was ugly, along slithered in this hideous thing. I'm sorry but no matter what color it is, it is ugly. Looks like its got a giant fat lip sticking off the back. "I gotta find Bubba" Horrible design.

I'd walk before driving that thing. And whoever thought the air vents on the front were a good idea needs to be locked in a cage and beaten.
Old 02-11-16, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Just when I though the QX80 was ugly, along slithered in this hideous thing. I'm sorry but no matter what color it is, it is ugly. Looks like its got a giant fat lip sticking off the back. "I gotta find Bubba" Horrible design.

I'd walk before driving that thing. And whoever thought the air vents on the front were a good idea needs to be locked in a cage and beaten.
I kind of like it. Nissan should of just called it a Patrol, why keep the Armada name.

What will be interesting is will the aftermarket off road crowd go after this. there is going to be a cloth seats bare bone model. Perhaps we will see a return of a cloth seats Land Cruiser if this Armada does well.
Old 02-11-16, 04:52 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan debuted the all-new 2017 Armada full-size SUV this evening prior to its upcoming appearance at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show, the largest auto show in North America. Nissan is also displaying a trio of "Winter Warriors," custom-built Pathfinder, Murano and Rogue models equipped with special snow tracks in place of their wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: 2017 Nissan Armada