Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did Hyundai blow it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 04:55 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Did Hyundai blow it?

Hyundai was the sponsor of the pre game show of the Super Bowl. In my opinion the most opportune time to bring out your new line (Genesis). They could have used that exposure to get people seeing the new G90 line and wonder who makes it, how much etc....

Instead they kept mentioning the Hyundai Genesis model? To me that is absolutely insane and made no sense at all.

Am I just crazy?
Old 02-07-16, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO one of the best commercials during the Super Bowl itself was the guy being chased by grizzly bears telling the Hyundai Elantra's computer to start the engine and unlock the doors.....quick. Hyundai sure didn't blow that one.
Old 02-07-16, 05:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

wish we had the USA commercials up here...

As for the G90 not showing up, is it because Hyundai is not ready to launch the Genesis brand? what's the latest on this?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-07-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 05:54 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO one of the best commercials during the Super Bowl itself was the guy being chased by grizzly bears telling the Hyundai Elantra's computer to start the engine and unlock the doors.....quick. Hyundai sure didn't blow that one.
A terrible commercial.
Old 02-07-16, 06:32 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyundai was the sponsor of the pre game show of the Super Bowl. In my opinion the most opportune time to bring out your new line (Genesis). They could have used that exposure to get people seeing the new G90 line and wonder who makes it, how much etc....

Instead they kept mentioning the Hyundai Genesis model? To me that is absolutely insane and made no sense at all.

Am I just crazy?
Probably because sponsoring the pre-game show doesn't necessarily mean you're putting all your advertising power into a specific model. The G90 is not the bling car anyways, not for the Super Bowl's demo.

The Genesis is the car that has really been popular and made an impression with car buyers. But are Super Bowl audiences the greatest and latest demo for your product? Coke, Pepsi, Chevy and Toyota pickups - sure.

But when you're talking upscale cars for aspiring buyers you gotta be careful. Hyundai didn't blow this at all. You would need to ask yourself if BMW would advertise its 7 series or MB would advertise its S class here.

I think stupid car commercials and the usual parade of endless Swiffer, pharma and dating site commercials have convinced everybody not to watch conventional tv anymore. It insults your intelligence doesn't it?
Old 02-07-16, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
A terrible commercial.
Subjective, yes, but IMO better than what we usually get from them.
Old 02-07-16, 08:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852

Am I just crazy?
I agree, they should've taken the time to promote, and start to separate the Genesis products from the Hyundai brand, the "Better" ad also showed the Hyundai employee designing the Genesis Concept car..

But... they also still need to continue to sell the 2016MY Hyundai Genesis, and so it seems like the short sighted need to push the Hyundai Genesis sales over the upcoming Genesis brand won out.

Also, the First Date ad didn't really promote the Hyundai Genesis, it was just kind of in the background of shot, it was trying to highlight the vehicle finder app.... but if you weren't paying attention for the split second at the beginning, it's not entirely obvious or clear how Kevin Hart is able to track the girl and the date around town.
Old 02-07-16, 09:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Odd Hyundai didn't give a vehicle to the MVP player like GM had done for years.
Old 02-07-16, 10:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Odd Hyundai didn't give a vehicle to the MVP player like GM had done for years.
Per Hyundai:
"Awarding a Hyundai vehicle to the Super Bowl MVP was not part of our official NFL sponsorship deal," Hyundai spokesperson Trea Reedy said in an email to the Daily News. "The Super Bowl MVP car giveaway is a great opportunity and it’s something we’ll continue to talk to the NFL about."
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.2520580
Old 02-08-16, 05:17 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Probably because sponsoring the pre-game show doesn't necessarily mean you're putting all your advertising power into a specific model. The G90 is not the bling car anyways, not for the Super Bowl's demo.

The Genesis is the car that has really been popular and made an impression with car buyers. But are Super Bowl audiences the greatest and latest demo for your product? Coke, Pepsi, Chevy and Toyota pickups - sure.

But when you're talking upscale cars for aspiring buyers you gotta be careful. Hyundai didn't blow this at all. You would need to ask yourself if BMW would advertise its 7 series or MB would advertise its S class here.

I think stupid car commercials and the usual parade of endless Swiffer, pharma and dating site commercials have convinced everybody not to watch conventional tv anymore. It insults your intelligence doesn't it?
I agree. I haven't had cable television for about 8 years now. I guess thats why I was paying attention to the commercials since I never see them.

I just think they had an opportunity to WOW people with their new lineup and didn't. There are plenty of people who might be in the market for a new car watching the Superbowl. Most likely their biggest opportunity to hit millions of people at one time by sort of unveiling their new line and they chose to add to the muck and confusion by targeting the MY2016 Hyundai Genesis. I just don't get it.

And then adding to the wasted opportunity was what was mentioned above. They could have given a G90 to the MVP and had it center stage but chose not to because it wasn't part of the deal? Really? It's all about exposure. I think they need to fire their entire marketing team.

Last edited by greg3852; 02-08-16 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 11:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, a great commercial. I think Hyundai did well.

The Toyota Prius chase was lame. R8 was outstanding (nice car too) and MB was not very good.
Old 02-08-16, 11:38 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was an excellent commercial, but I don't understand why they didn't advertise it as the Genesis G80, because isn't that what it's called now? The SB was the perfect opportunity to put their new luxury marque on notice.
Old 02-08-16, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
That was an excellent commercial, but I don't understand why they didn't advertise it as the Genesis G80, because isn't that what it's called now? The SB was the perfect opportunity to put their new luxury marque on notice.
Maybe next super bowl.
Old 02-08-16, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i don't think they 'blew it' as the thread title says, because there isn't a 'line-up' of vehicles yet, so promoting it is too early.

i did notice the genesis brand website is up though...
http://www.genesismotorsusa.com/
Old 02-08-16, 04:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I agree. I haven't had cable television for about 8 years now. I guess thats why I was paying attention to the commercials since I never see them.

I just think they had an opportunity to WOW people with their new lineup and didn't. There are plenty of people who might be in the market for a new car watching the Superbowl. Most likely their biggest opportunity to hit millions of people at one time by sort of unveiling their new line and they chose to add to the muck and confusion by targeting the MY2016 Hyundai Genesis. I just don't get it.

And then adding to the wasted opportunity was what was mentioned above. They could have given a G90 to the MVP and had it center stage but chose not to because it wasn't part of the deal? Really? It's all about exposure. I think they need to fire their entire marketing team.
Too true. There were probably some Monday morning quarterback talks going on today. An ad would have cost $5M for 30 seconds. That's a lot of moola. It has to translate into future sales or measurable interest in Hyundai/Kia/Genesis.

Looks like it came out to 111.9 million average viewers and a 49 rating. That's astonishing though not a record. Online streaming is now the big factor though so it depends if the same commercials are shown vs conventional tv.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ming-audience/

And the Super Bowl knows all about marketing, they switched to conventional numbers for "50" rather than using the Roman numerals which would have been a rather blah, "L".

Last edited by MattyG; 02-08-16 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Did Hyundai blow it?