Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2016 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
has nothing to do with how hot the sheet metal gets. and most people don't touch the exterior sheet metal even except the door handles,
Well, if they DO touch a dark sheet-metal surface that has been sitting in Florida's summer sun, they will learn quickly. That's one mistake not likely to be made twice.
Old 02-08-16, 01:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Window tinting, especially more expensive tints with a thermal coating, work wonders on reducing your in car temps. Especially on a car that has a lot of glass, like a wagon, Prius, etc

There is a reason almost all SUV's have tinted glass in the back, its to reduce the thermal load so you don't have to have a bigger a/c unit with vents running all the way to the back.
Old 02-08-16, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Window tinting, especially more expensive tints with a thermal coating, work wonders on reducing your in car temps. Especially on a car that has a lot of glass, like a wagon, Prius, etc
i've only had tint on one vehicle, which was for looks, not cooling the vehicle inside. i've never understood how it could provide much cooling since in most places you can't or wouldn't want to tint the giant WINDSHIELD. i've tried those foil covered windshield things before today and they just suck putting in and out.
Old 02-09-16, 06:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

has nothing to do with how hot the sheet metal gets. and most people don't touch the exterior sheet metal even except the door handles, which these days are plastic coated. as for the interiors, apparently dark interiors don't vary much in temp from light and regardless, who cares, that's what a/c, remote start, and vented seats are for.

http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/cartemp/
IMO, somewhat flawed test...or am I missing the part where he measures the actual INTERIOR temps? He shows darker cars external temps were 55°F hotter and measured external glass temps for some reason...?

The glass temperature (which I assume to be a proxy for interior temperature) varied only 5 to 6 degrees between the black and white cars on average. So I conclude that the interior temperature only varied somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 degrees.
why didn't he measure the actual interior temps??? with a cars sitting in a lot for hours and the black car roof temp 55 degrees hotter than a white car I think the black car will be much hotter than 5 or 6 degrees hotter inside after a few hours.

he goes on to say...

The mythbusters guys did a test, and the following summary appeared on mythbustersresults.com: "The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler."

Personally, I have now had a Silver car with light grey upholstery and I must admit that it is significantly cooler than the Black car with dark grey upholstery that I used to own, so much so that I am not interested in buying another black car.
anyway, main reason I like lighter colored cars is the ease in keeping them clean - I owned 1 black car and NEVER again...looks dirty an hour after I wash it just from dust fallout.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-09-16 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How much tint one may WANT may not always be an issue. In many states, it is regulated....and enforceable by police with light-meters.
Old 02-09-16, 07:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How much tint one may WANT may not always be an issue. In many states, it is regulated....and enforceable by police with light-meters.
I've had 20% tint on my last 3 cars for the past 10 years. Cops have never bothered me, even though it is illegal and I have been pulled over a couple of times. 20% is the same tint on the back glass of suv's.

Generally cops won't hassle you about window tint unless you have your windshield tinted, its that 5% limo tint where they can't see in your car, or its that ugly(and out of style) mirror tint. Also most of the people who get the cops giving them crap about window tint are usually some punks driving a loud Honda, Camaro, a hooptie with big wheels worth more than the car, etc and were doing something stupid to get pulled over beforehand.
Old 02-09-16, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've had 20% tint on my last 3 cars for the past 10 years. Cops have never bothered me, even though it is illegal and I have been pulled over a couple of times. 20% is the same tint on the back glass of suv's.

Generally cops won't hassle you about window tint unless you have your windshield tinted, its that 5% limo tint where they can't see in your car, or its that ugly(and out of style) mirror tint. Also most of the people who get the cops giving them crap about window tint are usually some punks driving a loud Honda, Camaro, a hooptie with big wheels worth more than the car, etc and were doing something stupid to get pulled over beforehand.
This obviously doesn't apply to credible and sane people like you, but the whole reason for the tint-laws got started in North Carolina some years ago, when cops were concerned about traffic-stops and getting shot because dark tint didn't allow them to see if the driver (or someone else inside) was going for a gun.
Old 02-09-16, 08:12 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
It looks like Ford is about to address one of your weak points on the Fusion - no V-6. For 2017 there will be a high performance Fusion with the twin turbo 2.7 liter V-6. Rating will be about 335 hp and 350 lb-ft torque. AWD will be standard with this engine.
Steve
Old 02-09-16, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ sweet.
Old 02-09-16, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the darkness of tint doesn't actually matter as much on cooling the interior as whether the tint material has good uv rejection. the metallic and ceramic types of tint can make the interior cooler without being dark at all.
Old 02-09-16, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Mike,
It looks like Ford is about to address one of your weak points on the Fusion - no V-6. For 2017 there will be a high performance Fusion with the twin turbo 2.7 liter V-6. Rating will be about 335 hp and 350 lb-ft torque. AWD will be standard with this engine.
Steve

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't necessarily refering to a high-performance V6 (actually the existing 2.0L turbo has plenty of power). But any V6, of course, will usually have better refinement than a typical four....so that is nice.

That also suggests to me that the days of the Taurus SHO may be numbered. If a credible high-performance Fusion comes along, it will probably trump the SHO is sales.......just like the regular Fusion line is doing to the Taurus line.
Old 02-10-16, 06:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

the darkness of tint doesn't actually matter as much on cooling the interior as whether the tint material has good uv rejection. the metallic and ceramic types of tint can make the interior cooler without being dark at all.
exactly ...IMO, with super dark tint you get a lot more radiant heat from the material being basically black....

Last edited by bagwell; 02-10-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the link, BTW, for the new upcoming Fusion Sport twin-turbo V6 AWD (again, thanks, oldcajun)

I felt it would make more sense to post it here than to start a newt thread on it.

If this car is actually put into production, my strong guess is that will probably be it for the slow-selling Taurus SHO.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho....ebuts-detroit/

Ever since Ford unveiled the incredibly handsome second-generation Ford Fusion in 2013, we've longed for a performance model to complement its good looks and solid chassis. Ford has answered our prayers with this, the Fusion Sport, a 325-horsepower, all-wheel-drive sports sedan. Rejoice!

Ford unveiled the 2017 Fusion Sport along with other facelifted Fusion models at the Detroit Auto Show Monday.

Power comes from the same 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 found in the F-150. Ford projects it will produce 325-horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, numbers which the carmaker is quick to point out are greater than the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and BMW 340i. It's the first six-cylinder to be fit to the second generation Fusion.

All four wheels are driven, though Ford has yet to offer any specifics on its all-wheel-drive system. The Fusion Sport will also come with an adaptive damping system that can detect potholes and automatically adjust the shocks to minimize impact. Adaptive dampers usually contribute to good handling, so the Fusion Sport could very well be a back road companion.

Ford gave the rest of the Fusion lineup a facelift for 2017, with new versions of the Fusion plug-in Hybrid and Energi getting updated software tuning and more efficient electric motors. A top trim Fusion Platinum will also be offered for those who want a little more luxury.

While the V6 Sport isn't an all-out RS version of the Fusion, it does inject some life into a mostly staid segment. The 2017 Fusion hits dealers this summer, with the V6 Sport arriving shortly thereafter.
Old 02-10-16, 06:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I felt it would make more sense to post it here than to start a new thread on it.
yep, Hoovey started a thread on it.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ion-sport.html
Old 02-10-16, 09:51 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Man that should be a fun car. Ford usually does a great job with the engine, powertrain and suspension tuning in its hot models. The only cars off the top of my head that offer a boosted six cylinder and AWD are all German and cost about $55-60,000. Or Nissan's GTR

As for the current Taurus SHO, good riddance. Great powertrain trapped in a huge car that is built like a bunker with no outward visibility and a cramped interior.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review: 2016 Ford Fusion