Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 03:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This. All the Germans sell convertibles. Any type of convertible you want. BMW had 4 not counting Mini, Benz has 3, Audi has choices starting at the $35k A3 up to the $200k R8.

Pretty lame that what Lexus offers is based on a 10 year old car and soon to be discontinued.
Yeah SC430 was not a 4 seater convertible, so we were excited when the ISC came out and got one.

Not sure why they can't upgrade it.
Old 02-05-16, 04:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This. All the Germans sell convertibles. Any type of convertible you want. BMW had 4 not counting Mini, Benz has 3, Audi has choices starting at the $35k A3 up to the $200k R8.

Pretty lame that what Lexus offers is based on a 10 year old car and soon to be discontinued.
Let's hope the LF-C2 (RC C?) is waiting in the wings

Old 02-05-16, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not lame. It's because the Germans have a huge market in Europe, and Europeans still love their convertibles. The US, not so much. The US convertible market has shrunk to less than 1% of auto sales and since it is one of Lexus' top markets they are probably in no hurry to introduce a convertible when there are so many other cars they need to get to market (like more SUVs).

It is really evident to me when I go from the Audi US forums (with precious little convertible owners) to the Audi Europe forums (with lots of convertibles) that the markets are very different in their desire to drive convertibles.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 02-05-16, 08:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I always find it funny and weird how the English love their convertibles. Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's there were so many choices for small British roadsters. Some of them didn't even have glass roll up windows and the tops were pretty crude/leak prone compared to now days. Yet the weather in England sucks, rains over half the year, if its not raining, its overcast and looking like it is going to rain. There is maybe two months in a good year worth of warm, sunny days for you to put the top down.
Old 02-05-16, 11:31 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Having owned 19 convertibles and living all over Europe and America I would say our convertibles were most enjoyed in Boston and NYC more so than Los Angeles

Night time driving in Boston (summer or winter) top down is lot more pleasurable than 100 degree Los Angeles weather

Well if Lexus doesn't make a 4 door convertible again , no issue for me, have to get a m4 then. Wife can suffer in a non Lexus convertible (I know 1st world problems)
Old 02-06-16, 04:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Not lame. It's because the Germans have a huge market in Europe, and Europeans still love their convertibles. The US, not so much. The US convertible market has shrunk to less than 1% of auto sales and since it is one of Lexus' top markets they are probably in no hurry to introduce a convertible when there are so many other cars they need to get to market (like more SUVs).

It is really evident to me when I go from the Audi US forums (with precious little convertible owners) to the Audi Europe forums (with lots of convertibles) that the markets are very different in their desire to drive convertibles.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
LC might get convertible just because, but who knows maybe RC will as well... but as you said, these will be "halo" kind of vehicles, not something they will actually sell in big numbers. It will be much more important for Lexus to get two new SUVs out in next 18 months.
Old 02-06-16, 06:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a high-level sedan/coupe breakdown. I ignored the performance series (e.g., M, AMG, F-Sport). The base prices listed are directly from the manufacturer's websites.

Mercedes has, in my opinion, FOUR (4) real sedans, the CLA, C, E and S. BMW has THREE (3), where the Gran Turismo's are nothing more than ugly hatchbacks of those respective series. Audi has FOUR (4) real sedans. Lexus has FOUR (4) real sedans.

The coupe disparity is huge. Mercedes has FIVE (5) real coupes. BMW also has FIVE (5) real coupes. Audi and Lexus seem fairly similar in coupe numbers, but I counted the ISC hardtop.

Frankly, I think Lexus needs to separate the sedans more. Here's what I think they should do:

1. Make the IS cheaper in price to match the CLA, 3 and A3.
2. Leave the ES as is in regards to price and make it RWD imo.
3. Move the GS up and raise the price to $50k base. Increase interior space.
4. Move the LS up and raise the price to $80k base. Make them all L series or a new wheelbase that is longer than the base but maybe shorter than the existing L.
6. Make a four-door coupe and price it $70k.

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-06-16 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 06:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Here's a high-level sedan/coupe breakdown. I ignored the performance series (e.g., M, AMG, F-Sport). The base prices listed are directly from the manufacturer's websites.

Mercedes has, in my opinion, FOUR (4) real sedans, the CLA, C, E and S. BMW has THREE (3), where the Gran Turismo's are nothing more than ugly hatchbacks of those respective series. Audi has FOUR (4) real sedans. Lexus has FOUR (4) real sedans.

The coupe disparity is huge. Mercedes has FIVE (5) real coupes. BMW also has FIVE (5) real coupes. Audi and Lexus seem fairly similar in coupe numbers, but I counted the ISC hardtop.

Frankly, I think Lexus needs to separate the sedans more. Here's what I think they should do:

4. Move the LS up and raise the price to $80k base. Make them all L series or a new wheelbase that is longer than the base but maybe shorter than the existing L.
5. Add a new four-door coupe and price it $70k

Woops, posted this in the wrong thread...won't delete though.
That would kill ES sales in the snow belt states.
Raising the cost of the GS brings it into 5 Series numbers.
Old 02-06-16, 08:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

5. Add a new four-door coupe and price it $70k

Woops, posted this in the wrong thread...won't delete though.
Makes no sense. They already have a small FWD platform in the CT. The IS and GS are sports sedans and should remain exactly where they are. The ES is an upscale Camry so let it remain. The only thing Lexus needs is better engine options. Frankly after driving the NX, RX, and ES, they are complete disappointments relative to their German counterparts in terms of the actual drive itself which indicate that the majority of these buyers want a luxury appliance. Lexus / Toyota have definitely cornered the market on that.
Old 02-06-16, 11:10 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any guesses on the LS Line range?

LS 460L
LS 500h
LS 600h

And for the hydrogen engine planned in 2020, LS 700hy? Haha.

I think the CT should come soon after the LS and LC. I can't wait to see what Lexus can do at both the flagship level and the entry level. I have a feeling the CT will be a step up from the current one.
Old 02-06-16, 11:49 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mordecai
Any guesses on the LS Line range?
Initially LS500 and LS500h

LS F and LS Hydrogen are big possibilities this generation. While I'm not expecting it for the US market, there may be a V6 LS350/300t
Old 02-06-16, 12:07 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Initially LS500 and LS500h

LS F and LS Hydrogen are big possibilities this generation. While I'm not expecting it for the US market, there may be a V6 LS350/300t
They better not do a LS350. A return of the classic "LS400" would be so awesome though.
Old 02-06-16, 12:08 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Hoovey, just wondering where is the LC forum? I thought everytime a new Lexus is announced, there will usually be a new forum up.
Old 02-06-16, 03:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

They better not do a LS350. A return of the classic "LS400" would be so awesome though.
maybe they'll call a model the ls400 but it has a turbo 6 or something... a 'modern re-interpreation' of the original kinda deal.
Old 02-06-16, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

I merely mention it for markets that have heavy tax on engines of larger displacements.

For now it looks like the LS500 will take over where the 400, 430, and 460 left off. Rumor has it that a TT V8 displacing between 4.0-4.9L's is in the works. If they did a 4.0 I could see them doing LS400t, though personally I think an LS F would debut with a hopped up version and then down the line have a detuned base version or something. I dunno, but what I do know is that I can't wait for the 5LS!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe they'll call a model the ls400 but it has a turbo 6 or something... a 'modern re-interpreation' of the original kinda deal.
It's possible, BMW and Benz do the 40/400 moniker with their 3.0 6's. With the exception of hybrids, Lexus recently threw their hat in the ring with the IS300 and it's detuned 3.5L when it comes to not having nomenclature match engine displacement. Lexus did choose not to call the IS200t the IS300t unlike the C300 with it's 2.0T. Maybe they are just testing the waters with new nomenclature.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2016