Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 07:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I have been waiting for them to implement a DCT with a torque vectoring AWD system

Based on the products we have been seeing, the only shot of it would be on the LC-F
When you say DCT, I assume that you are looking for a proper, dual-shaft, automated-manual transmission and not a normal planetary gear automatic transmission with clutch packs (which is what MB did). Real DCTs are not exactly known for refinement, so Toyota could be working on smoothing it out. There may also be the problem with patents. I believe that a few transmission designers own patents for the clutch packs and we know that Toyota does not like to pay licencing fees to others for the use of their technology so Toyota may be working on their own technology.

And I assume you are looking for a mechanical torque-vectoring system because it could easily be done with the ABS by braking an inside wheel.

Do you want both DCT and torque-vectoring together? They could do them separately.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How about an AWD option for the ES? Even the Hybrid version drives only the front wheels.
Adding mechanical AWD (with a driveshaft to the rear wheels) to the ES would remove one feature that now seems to be specific to Toyota, which is the flat rear floor. Having the flat rear floor on my ES really opens up the rear foot room, making it that much more comfortable for 3 in the back seat.

Toyota could add eAWD to the ESh with an electric motor driving the rear wheels but we would likely not see that until the next generation ES comes out in 2 or 3 years time.

Originally Posted by Hayek
In my humble opinion they need...

Smooth and powerful 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 diesels (Diesels will always beat hybrids, not matter how hard you try to argue, moan and throw whatever tantrum, the truth is: diesel > hybrid. Plain and simple)
I believe that hybrids are the way to go; they just need to improve battery capacity, which will allow for the use of stronger electric motors and allow the car to run in EV mode for longer. Diesels are terribly dirty technology that require a lot of extra add-ons to make them clean, and for those who have breathing problems (members of my family have asthma) diesels are absolutely terrible. European cities (like Paris and London) are now questioning their support of diesel cars for the past few years. If you have vacationed there, you really come to appreciate the much-cleaner air of North American cities.

F versions of every single model in the line; from the CT to the LX and Audi and Mercedes are doing well with their A3 Sedan and CLA, respectively and BMW is about to join the game with a sedan version of the 1-series, so Lexus should make a sedan version of the CT as well.
F versions for every single model -- even FWD-based, comfortable models like the CTh, ES, RX and NX? Would that not dilute the image of the F?
Old 02-05-16, 07:50 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche's DCT is smooth as hell... what do you mean by DCT is not known for refinement?
Old 02-05-16, 09:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
now that scion is dead i say toyota start a new sports car division, (Tolexion?) aimed at more serious sports cars. scion was just dumb as an idea, the only desirable one was the FR-S which is just a BRZ/GT-86. Having an LS has made me think that lexus should just focus on the luxury and not make these sporty cars with such low profile tires. i hope the new LS stays as an S class competitor. they obviously want to change their image to appeal to more young and 'hip' people, but i think it's still possible to make a cool yet soft luxury cruiser.

i would love to see more sporty cars from toyota, but these cars are all gonna be ruined by the extra weight from all that luxury they're carrying around. leave lexus to luxury, and if you want to make the cars faster than please go right ahead but leave them soft and not meant to corner as flat as possible. america has big, open roads and having 275/15-28 tires and stiff suspension is gonna ruin that. the LC500 does look sick, and i obviously i haven't driven one but it doesn't look like something you'd want to take really long trips in.
I think Lexus has the right tools and technology to engineer an adaptive/active suspension that absorbs a bump as well as it can handle an apex, and still have a sleeker more exotic profile. The LC looks plush and poised, I expect the 5LS to be the same.

I think the focus for the next IS, RC, and GS will be a weight reduction coupled with with new powertrains. Should be some very competitive '18 and '19 models.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Future is looking very bright. The LC is a home run in my book. Can't wait for the new power trains as well - they are long overdue! Hopefully Lexus brings more engine options this time around... The Germans are very good at that.
We won't have to wait long, we're on the cusp of a change of guard when it comes to powertrains.

Infiniti's 3.0TT is just another reason to get a 350 replacement to the front lines. 306-311hp/277-280lbft is stout for 3.5L's, but the new norm has comparative vehicles treading 330-340hp.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The LC is a great step in the right direction. What I'd personally be interested in is an IS-F or a CT sedan. A new SC would also be interesting, if it can slot nicely between the RC and LC.
Anyone know when the IS facelift is projected to happen?
Lexus mmc (typically 3-years) would suggest later this year the 2017 IS would get a nip/tuck

In my humble opinion they need...

Smooth and powerful 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 diesels (Diesels will always beat hybrids, not matter how hard you try to argue, moan and throw whatever tantrum, the truth is: diesel > hybrid. Plain and simple), F versions of every single model in the line; from the CT to the LX and Audi and Mercedes are doing well with their A3 Sedan and CLA, respectively and BMW is about to join the game with a sedan version of the 1-series, so Lexus should make a sedan version of the CT as well.
Beat hybrids at what?

Lexus hybrids are some of the best in the business when it comes to luxury hybrids, quiet, refined. I just wish they offered PHEV options.

Diesel is cool too with the uber amounts of torque but like a hybrid, its just another alternative. There is no right answer.

Originally Posted by spwolf
IS facelift this year?

SC likely wont happen for a while due to gas prices killing coupes and they have LC for their halo coupe.

CT Sedan likely will come... that wont be too far off, new CT should be at least shown by the end of the year.
What are the chances the CT powertrain will be different than the Prius? For some reason I'm still convinced that if a heavier ES300h with its 2.5L I4 (200 total system power) can get 40mpg, like the lighter CT's 1.8L I4 (134 total system power), then they should be able to make a CT300h with 45mpg

I think they programmed 10AT from the start to be a bit rougher, to provide feel similar to DCTs and is faster than current 8AT in RC-F... so sport wise, they dont need anything else. But I do remember year ago some report mentioning DCT's for Toyota.

As to the mules, we have seen CTx mule long time ago... that might come first. Not sure if we would noticed TX mule, it is going to be RX based so we would think it is RX mule :-).

Two new SUVs for the Lexus will make most impact sales wise...
Did they? I was reading some prototype drive that said the 10-Speed was hunting for gears too much.
Old 02-05-16, 09:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Hope they make a 2+2 four-door coupe. An A7 or CLS fighter with great lines.
I thought the other day that if they positioned the ES similar to that of the A6, they could distinct the GS further by going the A7 route.

Of course Lexus could just make a new model. I vote FS

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So when does the LC500 start hitting showrooms?
Early 2017 as a MY18

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
CT with turbos a trunk and AWD?
CT200t sedan?

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota could add eAWD to the ESh with an electric motor driving the rear wheels but we would likely not see that until the next generation ES comes out in 2 or 3 years time.

I believe that hybrids are the way to go; they just need to improve battery capacity, which will allow for the use of stronger electric motors and allow the car to run in EV mode for longer. Diesels are terribly dirty technology that require a lot of extra add-ons to make them clean, and for those who have breathing problems (members of my family have asthma) diesels are absolutely terrible. European cities (like Paris and London) are now questioning their support of diesel cars for the past few years. If you have vacationed there, you really come to appreciate the much-cleaner air of North American cities.

F versions for every single model -- even FWD-based, comfortable models like the CTh, ES, RX and NX? Would that not dilute the image of the F?
Yeah it works great on the RXh, it'd do the same for the ES. If the AWD only came on the hybrid that wouldn't affect the GS AWD as badly as an ES350 with AWD.

Yeah I want to see longer EV range.

I'd rather keep F focused on core RWD models myself.

Originally Posted by mikez
Porsche's DCT is smooth as hell... what do you mean by DCT is not known for refinement?
The DCT in the E92 is quick as heck but very clunky at low speeds in my experience.

Different vehicle but the Ford Focus DCT suffers the same clunky nature.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-05-16 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 10:05 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know when the GX will be redesigned. Will it be called TX? We need a 3row crossover SUV. We could lease a German brand, but prefer buying a Lexus. What's taking Lexus so long to hatch a 3row crossover to compete against Q7 and GLS?
Old 02-05-16, 10:24 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
While PDK is a true dual clutch, I think they sacrifice the shifting time for smoothness. GT-R DCT is a tard more brutal, but it's second to none in shifting time. Though if you compare PDK to MB DCT, it's not as smooth as MB DCT at all because MB DCT is an automatics with wet clutch pack.
Old 02-05-16, 10:29 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

When is a new convertible with rear seats coming ?

Wife's ISC is long in the tooth. I want to replace it with m4 vert but wife will not buy a non Lexus
Old 02-05-16, 10:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Did they? I was reading some prototype drive that said the 10-Speed was hunting for gears too much.
thats just because it was prototype... design wise, not only it is faster than 8AT in RC-F (which is really fast), it also is programmed to be not as smooth so you can feel the changes. Final tuning will come by the end of the year, but this is their goal.
Old 02-05-16, 10:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What are the chances the CT powertrain will be different than the Prius? For some reason I'm still convinced that if a heavier ES300h with its 2.5L I4 (200 total system power) can get 40mpg, like the lighter CT's 1.8L I4 (134 total system power), then they should be able to make a CT300h with 45mpg
Well new CT will be on new platform built from ground up, so they can do whatever they want, without limitations.

I dont think it will get 2.5l hybrid, but they can do many other things:
a. Give it D4-S - which is 8% more power and better MPG as well. 10hp more would be felt especially since it is throughout the range not just at the top.
b. give it slightly larger lion battery that can output more hp.Lets say +10hp max output would be possible.
c. Combination of both :-).

That would likely give next gen CT200h 0-60 in 8s vs current 10s, which would be nice.

They could also use small turbo instead of 1.8l... that would make it much more refined since it could go at 1600rpm forever instead of having to go to 5000rpm when overtaking.. it would be a lot faster too since max torque comes so low (their new 1.2l turbo). But ultimate MPG will be less and of course it would cost even more than today.
Old 02-05-16, 10:41 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats just because it was prototype... design wise, not only it is faster than 8AT in RC-F (which is really fast), it also is programmed to be not as smooth so you can feel the changes. Final tuning will come by the end of the year, but this is their goal.
Agree. And probably was on normal mode vs Sport+ or sportier setting, and the shifting logic was still in development.
Old 02-05-16, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
I want to know when the GX will be redesigned. Will it be called TX? We need a 3row crossover SUV. We could lease a German brand, but prefer buying a Lexus. What's taking Lexus so long to hatch a 3row crossover to compete against Q7 and GLS?
Why do you need a 3 row cross over when the BOF GX460 will do just fine, and will probably last longer too?
Old 02-05-16, 11:44 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Rx is getting a third row

That will compete with the mdx
Old 02-05-16, 01:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do you need a 3 row cross over when the BOF GX460 will do just fine, and will probably last longer too?
Because I rather drive a car rather than drive a truck.

Because a car-based / crossover utility vehicle is easier to get into compared with a body-on-frame utility vehicle, for my rather petite wife, my young son and my aging parents.

Because my wife would be intimidated about driving a truck.

Because a car-based, FWD-based UV is more space-efficient than a truck-based UV. The crossover will be lighter than the truck and smaller than the equivalent truck. The crossover (especially if I can get a hybrid model at a price I can afford) will be much more fuel efficient than the truck.

Because I do not need a truck and would much rather drive something I need than something I do not.
Old 02-05-16, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Because I rather drive a car rather than drive a truck.

Because a car-based / crossover utility vehicle is easier to get into compared with a body-on-frame utility vehicle, for my rather petite wife, my young son and my aging parents.

Because my wife would be intimidated about driving a truck.

Because a car-based, FWD-based UV is more space-efficient than a truck-based UV. The crossover will be lighter than the truck and smaller than the equivalent truck. The crossover (especially if I can get a hybrid model at a price I can afford) will be much more fuel efficient than the truck.

Because I do not need a truck and would much rather drive something I need than something I do not.
You mentioned truck so many times GX460 is not a truck?

Then how about a Toyota Sienna minivan?
Old 02-05-16, 03:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
When is a new convertible with rear seats coming ?

Wife's ISC is long in the tooth. I want to replace it with m4 vert but wife will not buy a non Lexus
This. All the Germans sell convertibles. Any type of convertible you want. BMW had 4 not counting Mini, Benz has 3, Audi has choices starting at the $35k A3 up to the $200k R8.

Pretty lame that what Lexus offers is based on a 10 year old car and soon to be discontinued.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2016