Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Future of Lexus discussion 2016

In the Spirit of the original Future of Lexus discussion thread (2013-2015), here is a new place holder for 2016.

**Please keep in mind much of this will be subjective opinions so let's keep it civil

Good topics for conversation:
  • LC500 / LC500h / LC F
  • 5th generation LS
  • LF-FC
  • LF-SA
  • LF-C2
  • Future powertrains (ex. forced induction, 10-Speed Auto, hydrogen)
  • New models / varients (ex. TX, CT sedan)
  • Will the RX finally get a third row?
  • Will there be a LFA II?
  • Will the SC ever return?
  • Will there be an RC C?
  • How long will the IS F be on hiatus? (FI V6 or V8??)
  • How many years away are we from the first Lexus 'F' badged car that is also 'h' badged

Old 02-04-16, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Some recent concepts to refresh everyone's memory

Old 02-04-16, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I am wondering how many new SUVs will Lexus get.

CTx?
TX?
C-HR based?

Anything else I am missing?

I expect many manufacturers to delay their future cars that are not important to the brand and kill off some (like coupes that dont sell well), until gas prices double at minimum.

Everyone is going to offer every kind of SUV and Truck possible.
Old 02-04-16, 06:46 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I have been waiting for them to implement a DCT with a torque vectoring AWD system

Based on the products we have been seeing, the only shot of it would be on the LC-F
Old 02-04-16, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

How about an AWD option for the ES? Even the Hybrid version drives only the front wheels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-04-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 10:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am wondering how many new SUVs will Lexus get.

CTx?
TX?
C-HR based?

Anything else I am missing?

I expect many manufacturers to delay their future cars that are not important to the brand and kill off some (like coupes that dont sell well), until gas prices double at minimum.

Everyone is going to offer every kind of SUV and Truck possible.
Yeah the competition won't stand still. Audi, BMW, Lincoln, Jeep, with the Q8, X7, Aviator and Grand Wagoner respectively are some potential future 7-8 seaters Lexus will need to address. Whether they do that with an RX third row, TX and/or GX is anyone's guess. Have we seen any mules?

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I have been waiting for them to implement a DCT with a torque vectoring AWD system

Based on the products we have been seeing, the only shot of it would be on the LC-F
The current Lexus AWD on the RWD platforms are biased 30:70 split up to 50:50. I think the AWD needs to be redesigned though to remove that little hump that impedes the drivers foot. It's also silly to think the 2.0T in the IS200t, RC200t, and GS200t cannot be equipped with it. They had to detune a 3.5L V6 on the IS300 and ruin their nomenclature just to have a similar horsepower and price point alternative to the RWD only IS200t.

Yeah it would be nice to see the F version of the LC get something other than the 10AT.

On a similar light, iirc I read that the new Focus RS uses the same TVD found on the RC F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How about an AWD option for the ES? Even the Hybrid version drives only the front wheels.
While I'd like to see an AWD option too, that would likely be another strike against the GS. One option for them to coexist would be to position the ES similar to that of an A6, and the GS like an A7.
Old 02-04-16, 11:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

now that scion is dead i say toyota start a new sports car division, (Tolexion?) aimed at more serious sports cars. scion was just dumb as an idea, the only desirable one was the FR-S which is just a BRZ/GT-86. Having an LS has made me think that lexus should just focus on the luxury and not make these sporty cars with such low profile tires. i hope the new LS stays as an S class competitor. they obviously want to change their image to appeal to more young and 'hip' people, but i think it's still possible to make a cool yet soft luxury cruiser.

i would love to see more sporty cars from toyota, but these cars are all gonna be ruined by the extra weight from all that luxury they're carrying around. leave lexus to luxury, and if you want to make the cars faster than please go right ahead but leave them soft and not meant to corner as flat as possible. america has big, open roads and having 275/15-28 tires and stiff suspension is gonna ruin that. the LC500 does look sick, and i obviously i haven't driven one but it doesn't look like something you'd want to take really long trips in.
Old 02-04-16, 11:46 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Future is looking very bright. The LC is a home run in my book. Can't wait for the new power trains as well - they are long overdue! Hopefully Lexus brings more engine options this time around... The Germans are very good at that.
Old 02-05-16, 01:25 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The LC is a great step in the right direction. What I'd personally be interested in is an IS-F or a CT sedan. A new SC would also be interesting, if it can slot nicely between the RC and LC.
Anyone know when the IS facelift is projected to happen?
Old 02-05-16, 03:15 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my humble opinion they need...

Smooth and powerful 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 diesels (Diesels will always beat hybrids, not matter how hard you try to argue, moan and throw whatever tantrum, the truth is: diesel > hybrid. Plain and simple), F versions of every single model in the line; from the CT to the LX and Audi and Mercedes are doing well with their A3 Sedan and CLA, respectively and BMW is about to join the game with a sedan version of the 1-series, so Lexus should make a sedan version of the CT as well.

Last edited by Hayek; 02-05-16 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 04:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The LC is a great step in the right direction. What I'd personally be interested in is an IS-F or a CT sedan. A new SC would also be interesting, if it can slot nicely between the RC and LC.
Anyone know when the IS facelift is projected to happen?
IS facelift this year?

SC likely wont happen for a while due to gas prices killing coupes and they have LC for their halo coupe.

CT Sedan likely will come... that wont be too far off, new CT should be at least shown by the end of the year.
Old 02-05-16, 04:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah the competition won't stand still. Audi, BMW, Lincoln, Jeep, with the Q8, X7, Aviator and Grand Wagoner respectively are some potential future 7-8 seaters Lexus will need to address. Whether they do that with an RX third row, TX and/or GX is anyone's guess. Have we seen any mules?
I think they programmed 10AT from the start to be a bit rougher, to provide feel similar to DCTs and is faster than current 8AT in RC-F... so sport wise, they dont need anything else. But I do remember year ago some report mentioning DCT's for Toyota.

As to the mules, we have seen CTx mule long time ago... that might come first. Not sure if we would noticed TX mule, it is going to be RX based so we would think it is RX mule :-).

Two new SUVs for the Lexus will make most impact sales wise...
Old 02-05-16, 04:38 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope they make a 2+2 four-door coupe. An A7 or CLS fighter with great lines.
Old 02-05-16, 06:16 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So when does the LC500 start hitting showrooms?
Old 02-05-16, 06:36 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CT with turbos a trunk and AWD?

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2016