Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Matt LeBlanc to be Top Gear co-presenter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Matt LeBlanc to be Top Gear co-presenter

Former Friends star Matt LeBlanc is to be one of the new presenters of Top Gear when the motoring programme returns to BBC Two in May.

The US actor will be the show's first non-British host in its 39-year history.

"Matt's a lifelong fellow petrolhead and I'm thrilled he's joining Top Gear," said Chris Evans of his new on-screen colleague.

Additional Top Gear cast members will be confirmed shortly, the BBC said.

"As a car nut and a massive fan of Top Gear, I'm honoured and excited to be a part of this iconic show's new chapter," said LeBlanc. "What a thrill!"

Joey's motoring experience not taken into account

The 48-year-old is best known for his role as Joey Tribbiani in Friends and has more recently been seen, as himself, in BBC Two sitcom Episodes.

"Acting out our craziest car notions on screen is a dream job and I know we'll both be debating some epic road trip ideas," continued Evans in a statement.

"We can't wait to share what we've been up to on screen later this year."

LeBlanc has twice appeared on Top Gear on its popular "star in a reasonably priced car" segment and holds the record for the fastest ever celebrity lap.

Alan Tyler, the BBC's acting controller for entertainment commissioning, called LeBlanc "a class act and a brilliant signing".

Evans was named as Top Gear's new host last year after the BBC opted not to renew Jeremy Clarkson's contract in the wake of his much-publicised "fracas" with a Top Gear producer.

Clarkson subsequently signed up with streaming service Amazon Prime to present a new motoring show with Richard Hammond and James May, his former Top Gear co-presenters.

Tabloid editor turned broadcaster Piers Morgan is among those to have welcomed LeBlanc's appointment, calling him "a brilliant choice [with] huge global recognition" on Twitter.

LeBlanc himself hinted at his new role on Wednesday, telling his Twitter followers he had "very cool news coming in the next day or so".

Last year the actor presented Top Gear: The Races, a stand-alone spin-off made for BBC Store, the corporation's digital download service.

According to the BBC, he will join production on the new series of Top Gear "immediately".

Stephen Mangan, LeBlanc's co-star on Episodes, responded to the news by suggesting he is "The Stig" in the picture released with the BBC's press release.

"Still annoyed they made me wear that helmet," the British actor joked on Twitter.

Last year LeBlanc revealed he had "one more season of Episodes to shoot.... starting in April".

The actor won a Golden Globe in 2013 for his role in the sitcom, a co-production with Showtime, in which he plays an exaggerated version of himself for comic effect.

Steve Berry, who co-presented Top Gear in the 1990s, told BBC News that LeBlanc was "an odd choice", despite having "international recognition".

"It does seem odd that the BBC will use an actor in a factual entertainment show," he said, suggesting that the strength of the show's most recent line-up lay in the fact that they were "all experienced motoring journalists".

"When Jeremy Clarkson gives you an opinion you can respect it," he went on. "When an actor says that line, does it have that authority?"
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35490238

Old 02-04-16, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

He's a funny guy, and he had some good lines hosting the "Races" special...but I don't know about this at all...

I thought they already had the panel...did they let somebody go? Does he have that appeal in Britain? Will British viewers be turned off by the fact that he's American?
Old 02-04-16, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How you doin'? Britain

Old 02-04-16, 10:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Can we please consolidate all TG UK threads?
Old 02-04-16, 10:26 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

boy the BBC is really taking this diversity thing pretty far. i like matt leblanc but i have a problem with putting an american on top gear. it just seems wrong in a way, like having david cameron became our president.

and yea didn't they already have chris harris and sabine? i guess having two people named chris was too many
Old 02-04-16, 11:00 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
boy the BBC is really taking this diversity thing pretty far. i like matt leblanc but i have a problem with putting an american on top gear. it just seems wrong in a way, like having david cameron became our president.

and yea didn't they already have chris harris and sabine? i guess having two people named chris was too many
Top Gear (old cast) was a global show watched by hundreds of millions people a week. I don't think the origins of the host matter as much as the cast itself and the content
Old 02-04-16, 11:11 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
Top Gear (old cast) was a global show watched by hundreds of millions people a week. I don't think the origins of the host matter as much as the cast itself and the content
but i actually think it might because much of the content of old top gear was poking fun at domestic issues inside england and europe. gordon brown joke here, john prescott joke there... i've had to look up the background of many jokes on that show but once i did i realized that with the proper context it'd be funny, hence the british audience was laughing. i also can't see matt leblanc saying "oh i'm just gonna pop this in the boot as soon as i'm done driving my lorry to the loo"

top gear may have been shown around the world but it's first and foremost a british show. it just happened to be so good that people in other countries started watching it too.
Old 02-04-16, 12:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

but i actually think it might because much of the content of old top gear was poking fun at domestic issues inside england and europe. gordon brown joke here, john prescott joke there... i've had to look up the background of many jokes on that show but once i did i realized that with the proper context it'd be funny, hence the british audience was laughing. i also can't see matt leblanc saying "oh i'm just gonna pop this in the boot as soon as i'm done driving my lorry to the loo"

top gear may have been shown around the world but it's first and foremost a british show. it just happened to be so good that people in other countries started watching it too.
It also helps that the British colonized over half the world at one point, so people everywhere are familiar with British culture and know English.
Old 02-04-16, 12:04 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It also helps that the British colonized over half the world at one point, so people everywhere are familiar with British culture and know English.
ahh good ol' imperialism
Old 02-04-16, 12:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Can we please consolidate all TG UK threads?
if you can find 'em, i'll consolidate.
Old 02-04-16, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think this is a great idea... he's funny, smart, into cars, and no doubt there will be some cross-atlantic ribbing that should be great.
Old 02-04-16, 12:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think he's funny and he'll probably improve the show.

I will still prefer to watch Clarkson et all though.

There's something about the dry british humor combined with Clarkson's outrageous personality that makes the whole thing work. Clarkson is going to make amazon great again.
Old 02-04-16, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And I think that british wit and sensibility is partly why Top Gear US for instance isn't nearly as compelling. Like Monty Python, the show kind of has to be british.

BUT...thats the old Top Gear, kudos to them for trying something different.
Old 02-04-16, 04:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And I think that british wit and sensibility is partly why Top Gear US for instance isn't nearly as compelling. Like Monty Python, the show kind of has to be british.

BUT...thats the old Top Gear, kudos to them for trying something different.
i think another factor is that the BBC is payed for by taxes and what not while american channels need to worry about keeping advertisers who fund them and network heads happy, necessitating the need to make a show that doesn't have as much potential to offend. which means it won't be as funny...
Old 02-04-16, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can't see any reasonable advertiser who would have an issue with the old UK Top Gear and the reach advertising on it would have brought them lol

Quick Reply: Matt LeBlanc to be Top Gear co-presenter