Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 09:55 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yakim
I love the sentiments expressed and totally agree except that I absolutely hate dealing with service departments and their shady advisors, even if the car is covered by the warranty. So, all in all, I would stay away from the brands that are known as lemons
And that's exactly why we all should research dealers before purchasing our cars because there are some shady Lexus dealers out there as well. No brand is immune of shady intermediaries.
Old 02-05-16, 10:12 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, I find the continued hatred of the spindle grill fascinating. On some cars its a little overdone I agree, but to hate it on *every* model. There are models that improved with the spindle grill, the GX is one IMHO, the previous gen RX, the LS, the GS, the LX I even think the IS and ES.... its a little much on the new RX, 16+ GS and the NX, and the RC can look a little awkward but I think it looks great on the RC-F.
I agree. I personally think spindle grill is the best thing happened to this gen GX, aesthetically. It was hideous before.
Old 02-05-16, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Like many I like the refresh on the GX. I never thought I would have interest in this model until the refresh. Along with the new pricing (although I rarely see base model), I think Lexus got a good sale on it for its new refreshed frontal design. When some say their 3GS looks nicer than 4GS, I can see their reasoning if they merely talk about the exterior. But the GX? I can't seem to see it even a bit of it.
Same here, I thought the pre-refresh GX460 was awkward, it looked too tall and narrow, I thought the layout of the front was strange. After the refresh I think they addressed most off not all of those concerns.
Old 02-05-16, 10:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hayek
As much I immensely respect Lexus for their reliability record, I must be honest, I would never pick an IS 250 over a C300 because I'm not a fan of the new IS' design (The old IS was a very elegant car, though) and even though I'm not freakishly big (6'1 and 220 pounds that's quite thin for American standards) I found the IS interior to be very cramped.

So... Yeah... Screw Consumer Reports, I will have a C300 Sport in steel grey with black leather (which I can fit in it no problem at all), thank you very much.

Come to think of it, the spindle grille design ruined every single Lexus IMO, so for now I can say that I would rather take my chances and buy anything else other than a Lexus. I used to LOVE the Lexus GX 460 right up to the moment they fitted that hideous grille and now the car the grace and elegance of an effing gargoyle.

And besides Consumer Reports said that the Tesla Model S was the best thing ever created in all of human history since anaesthesia, only now to say that the car is a glorified piece of junk. So... Screw Consumer Reports and J.D Power for that matter as well.

Life's too short to give up prestige, luxury, style, performance, safety and handling just because some nerd says that the car that you like is not very reliable. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Corvettes and Vipers catch fire for fun, but if you could afford any of those cars would you really say no and buy whatever blandtastic car CR or JD recommend? Come on... If you want to play, you have to pay.
Your last paragraph is exactly how I see things. Sure, German cars are are not the logical choice but I'm not gonna give on performance, interior design and quality, tech, etc. because car X doesn't check off the "reliability," "low cost of ownership," etc. boxes that a comparable Japanese car does. Those are trade offs I'm willing to make to get the cars I like. Now if there's a Lexus that's up to par in all the areas I'm looking for then I will surely give it a hard look.
Old 02-05-16, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As I recall, their low rating was on the IS250. They said the 350 is a much better choice.
True--but the 84 score of the prior generation was also an IS250. I understand that competitors have evolved, and standing pat on power and engine means you end up behind, but it still seemed to me to be a harsh drop; especially for a car that they rated as much better than average on reliability.
Old 02-05-16, 02:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
True--but the 84 score of the prior generation was also an IS250. I understand that competitors have evolved, and standing pat on power and engine means you end up behind, but it still seemed to me to be a harsh drop; especially for a car that they rated as much better than average on reliability.
Consumer reports can only be relied on for reliability ratings. Everything related to driving dynamics is better covered by Motortrend, C&D, and R&T. The IS350 won in almost every comparo for these major mags besting not only the Caddy, Infiniti, Mercedes, and Audi but also besting the 3 series. The GS also had high praise in its respective class too. Its a new Lexus right now and to say the German's are blatantly superior is completely false. Ive test driven all these makes and chose the Lexus not because of reliability, but because it WAS THE BEST CAR in the class.

I have to admit though...that 335 had a kick *** engine
Old 02-06-16, 02:21 AM
Hayek
Driver

I just want to make it clear that the point of this thread is to not bash Lexus, it's just that I'm always genuinely surprised when I see a Lexus in the used section of an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar-Land Rover dealer. Heck! I saw an one owner pristine shape 1994 LS 400 for sale in a Ford dealer!
Old 02-06-16, 05:13 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here you go. This is guy is pretty annoying and admittedly seems like he hates Mercedes, but it's funny nonetheless.

Old 02-06-16, 05:28 AM
Hayek
Driver

It's like all those attorneys defending clients against Mercedes and yet they all drive E350s and S550s. Oh the hypocrisy...
Old 02-06-16, 07:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I just want to make it clear that the point of this thread is to not bash Lexus, it's just that I'm always genuinely surprised when I see a Lexus in the used section of an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar-Land Rover dealer. Heck! I saw an one owner pristine shape 1994 LS 400 for sale in a Ford dealer!
A lot of drivers who aren't necessarily brand loyal just want to try different brands and models hence the trade-ins on other lots.
Old 02-06-16, 07:23 AM
Hayek
Driver

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Here you go. This is guy is pretty annoying and admittedly seems like he hates Mercedes, but it's funny nonetheless.

Why Not To Buy A Mercedes - YouTube

Replacing A Thousand Dollar Shock Absorber - YouTube
Scotty Kilmer hates anything that doesn't have a carburettor and a throttle cable.
Old 02-06-16, 10:33 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

Why Not To Buy A Mercedes - YouTube

Replacing A Thousand Dollar Shock Absorber - YouTube

The thing is doing the actual work on that Benz isn't that hard, its just a car like any other car, if you're reasonably competent with a wrench you can change that air shock.

The thing a DIY person is going to run into, is how do you read codes, put the computer into diagnostic mode, etc. I'm betting that scan tool he has was a few thousand dollars, I'm betting a cheap couple of hundred dollar one that will read codes on your Toyota or Chevy wouldn't work on that Benz.
Old 02-06-16, 10:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 229 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The thing a DIY person is going to run into, is how do you read codes, put the computer into diagnostic mode, etc. I'm betting that scan tool he has was a few thousand dollars, I'm betting a cheap couple of hundred dollar one that will read codes on your Toyota or Chevy wouldn't work on that Benz.
For my BMW, I have a $60 Android App (Carly for BMW, originally named BMWhat) that, along with a $30 Bluetooth OBD II dongle, does over 90% of what the multi-thousdand-dollar inpa and ncs expert tools used by the dealer can do. It can read and identify all of the hidden codes that don't throw any error lights, and can also code functions in the car (for example, changing the door lock behavior , the number of blinks for flash-to-pass, or recalibrating a new battery).

A quick browse shows that Carly is now available for Mercedes as well, presumably most of the brand-specific stuff can likewise be done for under $100.
Old 02-08-16, 03:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
For my BMW, I have a $60 Android App (Carly for BMW, originally named BMWhat) that, along with a $30 Bluetooth OBD II dongle, does over 90% of what the multi-thousdand-dollar inpa and ncs expert tools used by the dealer can do. It can read and identify all of the hidden codes that don't throw any error lights, and can also code functions in the car (for example, changing the door lock behavior , the number of blinks for flash-to-pass, or recalibrating a new battery).

A quick browse shows that Carly is now available for Mercedes as well, presumably most of the brand-specific stuff can likewise be done for under $100.
OMG, so can I code my BMW with this app? instead of looking for a coder who charges hundreds?
Old 02-08-16, 05:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scotty Kilmer hates anything that doesn't have a carburettor and a throttle cable.
Not really. If you take away his style of speaking on camera, there's pretty much some well known conventional wisdom about used MB cars. He's just saying it in a different way. He in fact, recommends Toyota for people who don't have money to blow, and the Benz for as he puts it, "Fat Cats".

It actually sounds like his customers are running from the Benz dealer and coming to him for the "cheap" fix.

Right now there's a S500, probably about five blocks from me in front of a nice house - likely a 2000's model. It's sitting on its air suspension like a low rider, all cambered out and looking ridiculous. This just happened. the car sat endlessly before this, then it went away on a trip and now it's back just sitting there, barely worth more than the repair bill.

Quick Reply: So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?