Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 11:40 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's assuming that you need a vehicles off-road prowess. Very few if any buyers in the US of a $100k LX are going to do any serious off-roading.

I've driven both several times. The RR does the on road luxury thing better overall IMO. It's no slouch off-road either. The Autobiography model is way above the LX, the LX compares very well to a relatively low package RR. Comparing them doesn't make sense.
That's why I was saying RR is mean to target G-Wagon than LX.

To this day, RR still make unreliable products, and it shows. Nicer interior won't matter when suspension fails.

Edit: Anyway, we can argue to no end on what car is better. Car purchase, especially at that price range, isn't rational, but emotional.

Last edited by cino; 02-03-16 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 05:52 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I traded my IS in for a landrover. Like someone said, after 8 years of owning my IS i dont want another one with the same drive train.

Also the newer lexus design is not really hitting it for me, and I needed the extra room of a SUV but lexus SUV are just not sporty enough / drive is too laid back.
Old 02-04-16, 05:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
That's why I was saying RR is mean to target G-Wagon than LX.

To this day, RR still make unreliable products, and it shows. Nicer interior won't matter when suspension fails.

Edit: Anyway, we can argue to no end on what car is better. Car purchase, especially at that price range, isn't rational, but emotional.
The LX and RR directly compete. The G Wagen is a niche vehicle, very different from the RR. The LX really is a direct competitor.

Reliability has gotten better at RR, but the LX will certainly be more reliable. All you have to do is look at sales to see what resonates more with the American buyer.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
My wife and I have easily received as good - if not better - customer service from the two Porsche dealers we've worked as compared to the Lexus dealers. My mother in law has also said great things about her MB dealer experiences as well - she actually bought her MB because she liked the dealer people more than the people at Lexus.
Dealers are really a hit or miss thing with any brand. The dealers are all independently owned, and they set their own policies and such for the most part...
Old 02-04-16, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
I traded my IS in for a landrover. Like someone said, after 8 years of owning my IS i dont want another one with the same drive train.

Also the newer lexus design is not really hitting it for me, and I needed the extra room of a SUV but lexus SUV are just not sporty enough / drive is too laid back.
your land rover is sporty? maybe if you play polo.
Old 02-04-16, 08:59 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

The LX and RR directly compete. The G Wagen is a niche vehicle, very different from the RR. The LX really is a direct competitor.
Sorry. I mean RR Autobiography trim, not regular RR. RR AB's starting price is just above G-Wagon.
Old 02-04-16, 09:11 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your land rover is sporty? maybe if you play polo.
Haha I just meant compared to the luxury SUVs I drove (aside from porsche), the LR was the least truck like in driving behavior. The RX loaners I have are a lot better than my parents first gen RXh, but still not stiff enough / steering is not direct / too much roll etc.

I wanted a coupe for a dd, but had to compromise based on family needs
Old 02-04-16, 09:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry. I mean RR Autobiography trim, not regular RR. RR AB's starting price is just above G-Wagon.
Range Rover SVAutobiography MSRP: $199,495
Mercedes-Benz G65 AMG MSRP: $217,900
Old 02-04-16, 09:18 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Might as well throw the bently SUV into the mix at that MSRP
Old 02-04-16, 09:46 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Range Rover SVAutobiography MSRP: $199,495
Mercedes-Benz G65 AMG MSRP: $217,900
G-Wagon starts at 120K, RR Autobiography starts at 140K.

Edit: I don't know if you should compare LWB RR to G-Wagon. G-Wagon is really small for a full-size SUV. Even you do compare, they are in the same price bracket, except G-Wagon is like a leathered unbreakable cage.

Last edited by cino; 02-04-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-04-16, 09:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is hard to compare the G Wagon to anything, its a very unique vehicle.
Old 02-04-16, 10:00 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I agree. G-Wagon is unique, German reliable off-road monster unique. My uncle still has his 96 G-Wagon, and it never has any catastrophic failure. Though it doesn't stop people from comparing it to a SUV in the same price range.
Old 02-04-16, 10:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

G-Wagon starts at 120K, RR Autobiography starts at 140K.

Edit: I don't know if you should compare LWB RR to G-Wagon. G-Wagon is really small for a full-size SUV. Even you do compare, they are in the same price bracket, except G-Wagon is like a leathered unbreakable cage.
My point is nothing is gained by arbitrarily picking a trim of RR and comparing the price to another trim of G-wagon.

Agreed. As you said before, it's a niche vehicle. Specialty if you will.
Old 02-04-16, 10:09 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
My point is nothing is gained by arbitrarily picking a trim of RR and comparing the price to another trim of G-wagon.

Agreed. As you said before, it's a niche vehicle. Specialty if you will.
right. Just more leather to hide cheap plastic on lower trim that compete with LX.
Old 02-04-16, 10:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

right. Just more leather to hide cheap plastic on lower trim that compete with LX.
"Just more leather" on the dash solves the issue of certain cheap interior components.

Thats what makes me so mad when Lexus does stuff like that, its so easily and inexpensively rectified by just a simple piece of higher quality material. On a vehicle with the price of the LX, thats particularly inexcusable IMHO. Especially when the LS and even the GS don't have that at cheaper and far cheaper price points. You find nothing of the sort in a similarly equipped and priced Range Rover, or MB GL, etc.
Old 02-04-16, 12:04 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

"Just more leather" on the dash solves the issue of certain cheap interior components.

Thats what makes me so mad when Lexus does stuff like that, its so easily and inexpensively rectified by just a simple piece of higher quality material. On a vehicle with the price of the LX, thats particularly inexcusable IMHO. Especially when the LS and even the GS don't have that at cheaper and far cheaper price points. You find nothing of the sort in a similarly equipped and priced Range Rover, or MB GL, etc.
I thought the refreshed LX570 dash has very high quality material and it does look a lot nicer than MY15.

Quick Reply: So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?