Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 01:31 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's like the grass is always greener on the other side.

Brands and styles come and go like the wind. That rush of Audi buyers probably will rush back to something else, assuming the rash of problems arises. After five years and having to endure their first carbon cleanup and walnut shell blasting they'll probably say to themselves, I need to get a different brand (my friend has a 2012 Audi A6).

Same can be said of Lexus. All cars aren't immune to problems, and I'm sure there's someone at a dealership service bay right now pondering a BMW for his next car, lol. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Old 02-03-16, 02:07 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
It's like the grass is always greener on the other side.

Brands and styles come and go like the wind. That rush of Audi buyers probably will rush back to something else, assuming the rash of problems arises. After five years and having to endure their first carbon cleanup and walnut shell blasting they'll probably say to themselves, I need to get a different brand (my friend has a 2012 Audi A6).

Same can be said of Lexus. All cars aren't immune to problems, and I'm sure there's someone at a dealership service bay right now pondering a BMW for his next car, lol. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Just curious - how long has your friend owned his A6 and how has his ownership experience been thus far?
Old 02-03-16, 02:51 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

It's a nice car for sure, but he has had some problems approaching 60k miles. I recall him saying his thermostat went out, coolant leaked all over the place and he was stranded on the freeway with an overheated car.

He recently developed lumpy and really bad cold starts and a check engine light and cylinder misfire. The dealership says he needs his valves cleaned with walnut shells lol. He wasn't pleased to say the least and his warranty just expired.

Other than those two stories, I have no idea. But it's nice to drive in, the interior is nice, nicer than Lexus IMO.

Here, long-term quality index, which is different from all of the short-term stuff from JD power and consumer.

http://bestride.com/blog/long-term-q...ability/24162/

http://longtermqualityindex.com
Old 02-03-16, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've always wanted to lol. When I get down to it though, Lexus just always packages a car the way I like, and to get collections of features found on low package Lexus vehicles (such as ventilated seats) you wind up having to get a super high trim car with the German makes. For instance, to get a power tilt wheel on an A6 it has to be a Prestige.

Keeps me around Lexus.
Old 02-03-16, 03:40 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Hey don't get me wrong, I like our interiors. I was just subjectively stating it looks better to me personally. No idea about the features, but his has a lot (prestige) and even some stuff our cars don't have.

A lot of buttons (some may not like) for sure and it looks like a 747 cockpit at night (which I actually don't like), but still very nice. The interior was actually the reason he got his.

But the walnut shells wasn't part of the package.
Old 02-03-16, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Audi interiors are a mixed bag IMHO. The reason I didn't get the A6 in 2012 and again in 2015 was the interior compared to the GS. I didn't compare the A6 to the LS obviously but that was before I decided to step up to the LS. The A6 interior is very high quality, but its not posh, its quite stark and teutonic, feels small. IMHO the 4GS has a much nicer interior, its best in class in that segment IMHO. From what I've seen the new E Class will supplant it.

When you compare the A8 interior to the LS, I think the A8's interior is clearly better, better quality materials, richer feeling, better textures, better and more dramatic lighting and it feels much more "special".

Outside of the A8 though, I don't think any Audis really have interiors that I think are clearly better than their competitors. Q7 and Q5 too perhaps.
Old 02-03-16, 05:08 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Audi interiors are a mixed bag IMHO. The reason I didn't get the A6 in 2012 and again in 2015 was the interior compared to the GS. I didn't compare the A6 to the LS obviously but that was before I decided to step up to the LS. The A6 interior is very high quality, but its not posh, its quite stark and teutonic, feels small. IMHO the 4GS has a much nicer interior, its best in class in that segment IMHO. From what I've seen the new E Class will supplant it.

When you compare the A8 interior to the LS, I think the A8's interior is clearly better, better quality materials, richer feeling, better textures, better and more dramatic lighting and it feels much more "special".

Outside of the A8 though, I don't think any Audis really have interiors that I think are clearly better than their competitors. Q7 and Q5 too perhaps.
I wouldn't consider LX570 a competitor to Q7, but people who crossshop them. LX570, IMO, is on a league of its own especially Arabic Spec. Though it's still being compared to Q7. Not sure about the new gen Q7, but the old gen is sea of plastic.
Old 02-03-16, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't call the LX interior in a league of its own. It has some cost cutting measures inside, hard plastics at the bottoms of the doors and dash that you don't see in the LS for example. It's a very nice interior, but not as high quality as something like a Range Rover IMO.

I don't see people cross shopping a near $100k LX with a Q7...
Old 02-03-16, 06:20 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't call the LX interior in a league of its own. It has some cost cutting measures inside, hard plastics at the bottoms of the doors and dash that you don't see in the LS for example. It's a very nice interior, but not as high quality as something like a Range Rover IMO.

I don't see people cross shopping a near $100k LX with a Q7...
I'm talking worldwide, that's why I mentioned Arabic Spec. And I thought we're comparing Lexus model to Audi.
Range Rover feels more premium and "may" look better before suspension goes out after 2 years, but look is subjective. My country (Cambodia) has way too many off-roads to test durability, most of my friends over there who own RR HSE, Vogue and Sport swear not to get another RR again because of reliability issues with the car. RR may survive longer in the US since they are driven in urban rather than off-road.

Last edited by cino; 02-03-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 06:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I traded a '13 GS F Sport that I owned for almost 3 years for a '15 Audi S5. I loved the 4GS but just wanted to go back to a coupe, plus the S5 is a blast to drive.

I owned a '10 Audi S5 Cab and an '11 S5 Cab prior to the Lexus. I don't drive my cars very much or own them for very long, so I haven't had any reliability issues with either brand. I have owned many Lexuses... '00 RX300, '01 GS300, '03 GS300, '03 SC430, '06 SC430. Audi is the only German brand I really have a fondness for, but with their new styling direction (exterior and interior) the S5 may be my last.
Old 02-03-16, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can't speak to "Arabic spec" because I haven't seen one, but the thread isn't only comparing Lexus to Audi, and you said it was "in a league of its own" meaning that its above all its competitors, I don't think thats the case.
Old 02-03-16, 09:27 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I can't speak to "Arabic spec" because I haven't seen one, but the thread isn't only comparing Lexus to Audi, and you said it was "in a league of its own" meaning that its above all its competitors, I don't think thats the case.
I never refer LX 's interior as "on a league of its own". I referred to LX itself to be on the league of its own. I really really urge you to compare the refreshed LX to a RR in every categories, not just "hard plastics at the bottoms of the doors and dash."

The only off-roader that ticks more boxes than LX570 in every category is Gelandewagon, and it's not even the same size as LX570 or the price point.

Edit: I just checked RR AutoBiography, costs almost twice as much as LX570. I doubt it's really worth the premium.

Edit 2: Nvm RR AB seems to be made to compete with G-Wagon.

Last edited by cino; 02-03-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

we didn't really trade lexus for bmw or mb, but we kind of went in between (still have lexus but got a bmw/mb)

to me it's about deals and needs and cars
Old 02-03-16, 10:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's assuming that you need a vehicles off-road prowess. Very few if any buyers in the US of a $100k LX are going to do any serious off-roading.

I've driven both several times. The RR does the on road luxury thing better overall IMO. It's no slouch off-road either. The Autobiography model is way above the LX, the LX compares very well to a relatively low package RR. Comparing them doesn't make sense.
Old 02-03-16, 11:26 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
I'm asking because as brilliant as their cars are, the Germans still can't match Lexus in terms of reliability and customer care, so it's interesting to see Lexus owners switching to German and other European and even American brands without any concerns.
My wife and I have easily received as good - if not better - customer service from the two Porsche dealers we've worked as compared to the Lexus dealers. My mother in law has also said great things about her MB dealer experiences as well - she actually bought her MB because she liked the dealer people more than the people at Lexus.

Also, I have felt that the Porsche and MB dealers have done a better job, IMO, in communicating and not trying to over simplify or dumb things down which I have felt has happened at the Lexus dealers. I'm not sure if they're more in-tune with their products than the Lexus dealers, but there is definitely a contrast in how the two are able to communicate.

Quick Reply: So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?