Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?

Old 02-03-16, 03:26 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?

Hello, newbie here and with a question that I've always wanted to ask.

I know that many of you traded an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche and etc for a Lexus.

But how many of you did the opposite and traded a Lexus for an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche, Land Rover or even a Volvo or Volkswagen?

And if you did the opposite, did or do you have any regrets?
Old 02-03-16, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

I traded my first BMW for my second (current) BMW, and it's seeming increasingly likely I'll trade my first Lexus for another BMW (outside chance of a Mercedes or Porsche).
Old 02-03-16, 05:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
Hello, newbie here and with a question that I've always wanted to ask.

I know that many of you traded an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche and etc for a Lexus.

But how many of you did the opposite and traded a Lexus for an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche, Land Rover or even a Volvo or Volkswagen?

And if you did the opposite, did or do you have any regrets?
I traded my 2nd Gen IS250 AWD for a BMW 328i xDrive CPO Elite a year ago. No regrets at all--I love the car. I just wasn't interested in the looks of the 3rd Gen IS, and after 8 years with the IS, I didn't want to get a "new" car with the exact same engine and drive train. I realize that the BMW is not as reliable as the Lexus, but I'm willing to take that risk. I also considered an ATS, but it was just so cramped inside--just as tight in the back seat, if not tighter, than my IS; and a smaller trunk too.
Old 02-03-16, 06:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I flirted with buying a Lexus many times but have never actually done it. I appreciate them but don't ever end up loving them.
Old 02-03-16, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

After back to back Lexus, I traded the last one in on my first Audi. No regrets. It's been a very good experience. Also bought my 1st BMW and it's met expectations too. I'd get another Lexus when the current styling trends are toned down and refined a bit.
Old 02-03-16, 08:14 AM
Hayek
Driver

I'm asking because as brilliant as their cars are, the Germans still can't match Lexus in terms of reliability and customer care, so it's interesting to see Lexus owners switching to German and other European and even American brands without any concerns.
Old 02-03-16, 08:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek
I'm asking because as brilliant as their cars are, the Germans still can't match Lexus in terms of reliability and customer care, so it's interesting to see Lexus owners switching to German and other European and even American brands without any concerns.
My customer care experience with both our Audi and BMW have been on par with Lexus - All very good. I don't keep cars much beyond the factory warranty period (including our Lexus'), so long term reliability isn't a big issue for me. If I was keeping a vehicle long term, it would be a Lexus
Old 02-03-16, 08:54 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trade an IS250 for WRX, and got GLA250 after. Plan on selling both for a beater and 17 Miata. My parents got me the used IS250 when I was in college. When I'm out making my own money, I don't feel like driving a luxury car. I love unrefiness, rough, loud, and engine noise. Reason I got GLA250 because I was stupid. Maybe 30 years down the road, I'll own a Lexus again.
Old 02-03-16, 09:07 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only switched to a Lexus because I needed a reliable, cheap-to-maintain car for the next few years of my life while I'm establishing myself in my career and such. I plan on going back to BMW as soon as possible. It's not that Lexus' are bad cars, I just find German autos to be a notch higher in most areas such as performance, styling, interior design and quality of materials, tech, etc.
Old 02-03-16, 09:31 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I only switched to a Lexus because I needed a reliable, cheap-to-maintain car for the next few years of my life while I'm establishing myself in my career and such. I plan on going back to BMW as soon as possible. It's not that Lexus' are bad cars, I just find German autos to be a notch higher in most areas such as performance, styling, interior design and quality of materials, tech, etc.
Personally, Merc is better than BMW on those areas and overall reliability is better as well. I know a lot of young people associate MB with grey hair people, that's why they never give a Merc a try.
Old 02-03-16, 10:07 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

After owning five Lexus, I am tired of the poor interior material quality of Lexus, switch to Mercedes completely.

In past two years of owning Mercedes, the E350 had an electric switch failure, and dealer replace something, and everything is normal then, ML350 is like a rock, no any issue.
Old 02-03-16, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Personally, Merc is better than BMW on those areas and overall reliability is better as well. I know a lot of young people associate MB with grey hair people, that's why they never give a Merc a try.
well Merc had a very old lineup with very old powertrains up until S class came out... I do think that for a most part they are step above BMW and Audi but it does depend on what you need.
Old 02-03-16, 01:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well Merc had a very old lineup with very old powertrains up until S class came out... I do think that for a most part they are step above BMW and Audi but it does depend on what you need.
The S-class did not debut with any new powertrains, so not sure what you're talking about. The 5.5L V8, 6.3L V8, and 6.0L V12 were all largely carryover.
Old 02-03-16, 01:24 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

They may have many old engines, but their newly developed chassis architecture and new 4.0L TT are superb. C AMG earned it fourth place in MT COTY, just behind Miata (classic roadster), GT4 (road legal track car) and the giant Killer AMG GT (yup, another Benz).

Edit: Though great car isn't just about engine, it's about everything working in harmony. This is why Lexus continuously improve their 5.0L.

Last edited by cino; 02-03-16 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 01:29 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

This may be side tracked topic, regarding old design, no body is better than Lexus.

My 99 GS has exact same AC control as 10 RX450H, 07 ES.
All my 99 GS, 10 RXH, 07 ES, 06 GX has same seat buttons and locations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So how many of you traded a Lexus for a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and etc?