Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2016 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 02:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It would be interesting to ask an exec from the Lexus Division if they've considered dropping the ES from the line. After a puzzled look, I have an idea what he/she would say.
This reminds me of 2013 when I posted a MotorTrend article.

Originally Posted by MotorTrend
44. Mark Templin
Lexus Product Marketing Planning Division General Manager
ROOKIE
Can Lexus Compete With Mercedes in Europe?

Where he's been: Joined Toyota Motor Sales (North America) from Oldsmobile in 1990. Led the Scion brand before his promotion to Lexus' U.S. chief.
Aiming toward: Infiltrating Europe and other Lexus nonmarkets, which he'll do by leading a new business unit designed to be fully independent of Toyota.
Including: Phasing out best-selling ES. Let Toyota Avalon have the segment.
Outlook: This is an unenviably tough job assignment.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz2NtDhTuEK
Later I did some scouring of online blogs and someone was ranting about the same thing we are. He reached out to Todd Lassa from Motor Trend and got this quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Lassa, Executive Editor MotorTrend/Automobile
The statement about RWD does NOT come from Mark Templin. Several sources have told me that Toyota will satisfy the Lexus ES market with the Avalon.
Old 02-08-16, 04:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoNews

As 2016 gets rolling, luxury auto sales are slowing, incentives are rising and trucks are dominating.

Though U.S. luxury-brand sales dropped 3.5 percent in January, many luxury-brand executives forecast sales increases for the segment in 2016. But they expect growth will slow even as incentives rise.

Those are among several challenges luxury automakers face. Others:
• Declining car sales in a truck-crazy marketplace. Luxury brands generally rely more on car sales than trucks. Luxury automakers are adding truck production, but not fast enough to keep up.

Demand may have reached a tipping point: Luxury truck sales outpaced luxury car sales each of the last three months, though the segment still sold more cars than trucks for all of 2015, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

• China's slowdown. Vehicles that previously would have gone to China are being redirected to the U.S., putting more pressure on automakers' U.S. units. This has been a factor in rising luxury car inventories, analysts and retailers say.

• Margin pressures and soaring inventories. Retailers are feeling the sting. AutoNation Inc. said it saw a 49 percent increase in luxury stocks in the 4th quarter that will require months to sell down.
Audi of America President Scott Keogh expects the pace of luxury sales growth to cool to around 3 to 4 percent this year after several years of rapid growth, including a 7.7 percent gain in 2015.

'Preaching'

"Without a doubt, the marketplace is tightening, and what I think that's going to require is good business discipline. Drive demand for your products; don't get overstocked and oversupplied; keep your pricing power discipline," Keogh said in January.

"These are all the things that everyone has been preaching, and let's see if the preaching can hold true in a market that isn't growing by double digits."

Keogh is optimistic because Audi is launching fresh products in high-volume segments such as the redesigned Q7 large crossover that arrived in January.

January got off to a rough start for some: BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Acura and Infiniti all posted sales declines. Luxury executives are watching pricing carefully.

"As soon as the market does not grow a lot, [higher incentives are] always the threat," BMW of North America CEO Ludwig Willisch said last month. "I do not see it happening right now."

BMW won the luxury sales race in 2015, narrowly beating Lexus, then saw its sales fall 4.7 percent in January.

Incentives up

According to TrueCar Inc., incentives rose for most luxury brands in January, many by double-digit percentages. Lexus' incentives jumped 26 percent; BMW's rose 18 percent; and Audi's, 9.5 percent.

TrueCar senior analyst Stacey Doyle estimates luxury sales will slow to a growth rate of 4.7 percent in 2016, but that assumes luxury brands will spend more in incentives.

"Mass brands, they'll really be driving the growth this year, whereas last year, it was more the luxury-premium side," Doyle said.

Mercedes-Benz aims for more U.S. growth without big incentive increases, said Ola Kaellenius, Daimler AG board member in charge of Mercedes sales and marketing.

"We've always been very sensi- ble in how we do that and protect our premium and protect our brand, and we'll continue the same policy," Kaellenius said in January.

Mercedes-Benz led the luxury segment last month with January sales, excluding Sprinter/Metris, edging up 0.2 percent, even as its incentives fell 5.5 percent to an average of $4,469 per vehicle.

Inventory watch

Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen acknowledges that the slowdown in car sales could worsen this year. That will especially hurt Cadillac and its sedan-heavy lineup, which is due to get 3 new crossovers -- starting in 2018.

"In a very competitive environment, we've been able to show discipline" on not only incentives but also production, de Nysschen said in January.

Cadillac dealers were sitting on a 60-day supply of cars as of Jan. 1 vs. 123 days a year earlier. That helped push Cadillac's average transaction prices higher in 2015 even as incentives fell, he said.

But in January, Cadillac's incentives rose 21 percent to $6,233 per vehicle, 2nd only to Lincoln among luxury players, TrueCar data show.

Porsche Cars North America CEO Klaus Zellmer said he expects higher Porsche sales in 2016 but won't spend a lot in incentives to get there.

"There was a lot of ambitions also driven with incentives to the year-end rally"
in the segment, Zellmer said in January. "We have been successful in staying out of that pattern."

In January, Porsche sales rose nearly 11 percent. The brand's incentives jumped 62 percent, TrueCar data show, yet Porsche remained 1 of the lower-spending luxury brands in the market with a January average per-car spend of $1,319.

PHP Code:
Tipping to trucks
In the U
.Sluxury segmenttruck sales have topped car sales the last 3 months.

Luxury segment share
     Cars    Trucks
January 2016    43.60
%    56.40%
December 2015    46.00%    54.00%
November    48.10%    51.90%
October    50.30%    49.70%
September    50.40%    49.60%
August    51.20%    48.80%
SourceAutomotive News Data Center 
Old 02-08-16, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^^ seems cadillac redid its whole sedan line-up at exactly the wrong time, since interest in sedans overall everywhere is falling fast.

meanwhile the new audi q7 and mb gle and probably lexus rx are likely to sell like hot donuts.
Old 02-08-16, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
MB doesn't seem to have a problem there with the E-class, heck it's used as a taxi.
sure, but in more and more cities i've seen camry and prius (reg and v) hybrids more and more as taxis for obvious reasons.
Old 02-09-16, 12:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure, but in more and more cities i've seen camry and prius (reg and v) hybrids more and more as taxis for obvious reasons.
i think he is thinking Europe.. which is correct, C/3/A4 and 5/E/A6 are fleet vehicles in Europe. Thats why their volume is up so much. They are Camry of Europe. Heavy incentives too.

On the other hand, any kind of SUV, unless it is being phased out for new model, much lower incentives, no real fleet sales and thus much, much higher profit margins (resale is also great which helps with leases).

Autonews article is good but no need for doom and gloom. For successful automakers, 2015 was one of, if not the best year in the history when it comes to profits. This includes Toyota/Lexus, BMW, MB and I believe JAG is also very profitable these days. Ford might be doing good now with truck sales too.

Others are not doing that good. VW had a problem with VW brand profitability even before this diesel fiasco, GM doin GM, FCA being FCA despite Jeep doing crazy profits, Hyundai/Kia in the slump and Honda in between. Nissan being dragged back with Renault.
Old 02-11-16, 04:48 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The RC has one full year of sales. The RC is in it's second year with the RC 200t, RC 300 awd, RC 350 and RC F.

January 2016
4 Series 1,832
RC 755
A5 515
G37 coupe 132

YTD 2016 (Jan)
4 Series 1,832
RC 755
A5 515
G37 coupe 132

Since Inception
4 Series 86,134
RC 17,461
A5 114,474

I'm projecting that Lexus will sell about 15,000 units (U.S.), 45,000 units (worldwide) of the RC for all of 2016.

RC 200t
RC 300h (outside U.S.)
RC 300 awd
RC 350
RC 350C (hopefully coming soon to replace IS 250C/350C)
RC F

Lexus bring the RC 300h to the U.S.

Audi has the A5, S5 and RS5. I'm sure most sales are of the A5 base model...
Old 02-12-16, 08:29 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I live in the loop, and the cityscape is dominated by toyota camry's. However that is changing as uber now dominates the buisness. I read somewhere that there are like 8000 cabs in chicago and 12000 ubers
Old 02-12-16, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^ yes, and in NYC and many major cities throughout the world there's already more Uber drivers than cabs, so the 'taxi' industry as we know it is already over, only protected by unions, taxi lanes and special parking/staging areas at airports, etc., but who wants to wait in a line in the cold for a cab driven by someone who barely speaks english, isn't very friendly, and often doesn't know where they're going and paying for it is a pain, vs. getting an uber ride. no brainer.