Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2016 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 10:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
- Warmed up platform? What exactly is warmed up platform? GS current has the best chassis in the segment. What exactly is the problem with being the best? They should do worse?
You know, after driving both back to back, I'd say a Cadillac CTS is more athletic. GS is a better car overall though.
Old 02-05-16, 10:58 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The ES isn't going anywhere...it's true competitor is long gone...the Infiniti I35 which was discontinued in 2004. The ES is King of the hill. I truly look forward to the 7ES, 8ES, 9ES and so on...

Currently Lexus has a few variants around the world:

ES 200
ES 250
ES 300h
ES 350

Last edited by Trexus; 02-05-16 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 04:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
The ES isn't going anywhere...it's true competitor is long gone...the Infiniti I35 which was discontinued in 2004. The ES is King of the hill. I truly look forward to the 7ES, 8ES, 9ES and so on...

Currently Lexus has a few variants around the world:

ES 200
ES 250
ES 300h
ES 350
Of course it is not going anywhere, they just built new factory for it in the USA.

btw, GS has even more versions... GS200t, GS300h, GS350, GS350 AWD, GS450h, GS-F.
Old 02-06-16, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You know, after driving both back to back, I'd say a Cadillac CTS is more athletic. GS is a better car overall though.
I agree, the CTS is the best driving car in its segment, same with the ATS now but their interiors and drivetrains are not up to par with the segment.
Old 02-06-16, 11:00 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course it is not going anywhere, they just built new factory for it in the USA.

btw, GS has even more versions... GS200t, GS300h, GS350, GS350 AWD, GS450h, GS-F.
There's also a GS 250 (4GR-FSE, V6) in Australia.

GS 200t
GS 250
GS 300h
GS 350
GS 450h
GS F

F Sport all variants.

Last edited by Trexus; 02-06-16 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 12:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Moving the ES to RWD is a bad idea. It would increase the cost, weight, reduce space, add more parts etc etc. The ES is fine for NA as it is. The majority of cars in NA are FWD and most people could care less anyway
Old 02-06-16, 04:37 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

if ES is here to stay, then Lexus should make an F-Sport version. CT has it, RX has it, no reason why ES should not have it.
Old 02-06-16, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
If they kill the ES, the buyer base will split itself between the GS and Avalon, with a small net loss of buyers.
Lol. The es buyer likely has no interest in either a 'mere' Toyota or a 'sports sedan' with polarizing styling. The es is 'safe' luxury at a good value.

I guess it depends on if the ES is a higher profit car than the GS, which would justify them wanting more buyers for ES despite GS' higher price.
Many factors but I would expect total es profit vastly exceeds gs profit and again they're not interchangeable so it's a false assertion to say they can be.
Old 02-06-16, 07:54 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lol. The es buyer likely has no interest in either a 'mere' Toyota or a 'sports sedan' with polarizing styling. The es is 'safe' luxury at a good value.

Many factors but I would expect total es profit vastly exceeds gs profit and again they're not interchangeable so it's a false assertion to say they can be.
The GS became a "sport sedan" to differentiate itself from the ES.

In a world where there is no ES, the GS would be a proper midsize luxury sedan. This would force Lexus to improve the packaging.

Lexus is a luxury brand not a sport brand, it's in their name, and this recent change in direction towards "sport" is questionable.

The issue is FWD is better for volume because it has a wider appeal and superior packaging. RWD is better for image and prestige. The challenge is balancing the two in the lineup, so you could argue the ES/GS is where Lexus does that balance in the midsize segment.
Old 02-06-16, 10:46 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

If they kill the ES, the buyer base will split itself between the GS and Avalon, with a small net loss of buyers.

I guess it depends on if the ES is a higher profit car than the GS, which would justify them wanting more buyers for ES despite GS' higher price.
This is a big assumption. How are you so sure about it splitting like that? A person shopping for a large sedan in a certain price range such as the ES might find it hard to move up to the GS. Which leaves them with the option of going for an Avalon or looking elsewhere. The possibility of them looking elsewhere would be high to me imo.
Old 02-07-16, 05:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blaze876
This is a big assumption. How are you so sure about it splitting like that? A person shopping for a large sedan in a certain price range such as the ES might find it hard to move up to the GS. Which leaves them with the option of going for an Avalon or looking elsewhere. The possibility of them looking elsewhere would be high to me imo.
An entry level GS with 4 cylinder engine can be as cheap as the current ES.
Old 02-07-16, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

In a world where there is no ES, the GS would be a proper midsize luxury sedan. This would force Lexus to improve the packaging.
but you'd still have a hump in the rear seat area and i think many professionals who take people around (like realtors) buy the es because it can comfortably seat 4 or 5 people. they certainly don't care about sportiness, appreciating the quiet smooth drive around neighborhoods. think of it as a roomy luxury golf cart.

Lexus is a luxury brand not a sport brand, it's in their name, and this recent change in direction towards "sport" is questionable.
well 'sport' has been going on in lexus for a long time off and on - the sc400 was certainly considered pretty sporty when it came out and of course 'something wicked this way comes' gs400 was considered sporty back in the day ('98!). so lexus has been kinda in and out of it off and on, including prior lame (unmarketed) add-ons like "l-tuned", but obviously more recently it's been a more consistent and wider push with f-sport and f, so it's likely not going away, and i don't think it should, as they want to more closely compete with m-sport, amg, etc.

but i think your general point that lexus does luxury better than sport has been true, at least from a perception standpoint, but in reality that's changed - i mean the stock gs350 is generally considered to handle better than a stock 5 series these days. the 5 series got heavier and sloppier and less sporty... but maybe the 'conflicted' messages from lexus is exactly what they want - something for everyone, luxury or sport or both, whatever floats your boat.

i know we all want lexus to move faster but that's just not their way...

The issue is FWD is better for volume because it has a wider appeal and superior packaging. RWD is better for image and prestige. The challenge is balancing the two in the lineup, so you could argue the ES/GS is where Lexus does that balance in the midsize segment.
exactly right.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
An entry level GS with 4 cylinder engine can be as cheap as the current ES.
but it wouldn't be the same thing. lexus already has a gs200t of course.
Old 02-07-16, 10:53 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but you'd still have a hump in the rear seat area and i think many professionals who take people around (like realtors) buy the es because it can comfortably seat 4 or 5 people.
MB doesn't seem to have a problem there with the E-class, heck it's used as a taxi.
Old 02-07-16, 11:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It would be interesting to ask an exec from the Lexus Division if they've considered dropping the ES from the line. After a puzzled look, I have an idea what he/she would say.
Old 02-07-16, 01:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It would be interesting to ask an exec from the Lexus Division if they've considered dropping the ES from the line. After a puzzled look, I have an idea what he/she would say.
For them, its like committing a suicide......

Quick Reply: January 2016 Sales