Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tales about buying old beater luxury cars - BMW edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 07:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

anyone else here brave or dumb enough to drive a $1,000 v12 bmw?
Old 02-04-16, 08:41 AM
Crusher103
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hayek
You might say it's safer to buy a Toyota rather than a BMW, but that's like saying that being a virgin is safer than going out at night, eating, boozing and ********. You only live once and you won't enjoy your life very much driving around in a Corolla or Camry, so live a little and get the Bimmer. Oh the Bimmer cost an arm and a leg to run? So what? If you want to play you've got to pay.

And by the way, it's not like an used Lexus would be much cheaper to run or more reliable, so this thread is, with the lack of a better a word and forgive me for sounding like Gordon Ramsay, absolutely ****ing useless.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-04-16, 08:50 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Since you have an Aston, how much do you keep a side in case it does break? Unless it is under warranty and you do not really have to worry about it but if it isn't, its going to be a number that's maybe 3 to 4 times as high that i just said. Its a specialized high performance luxury coupe Boardering a supercar. Would you expect it to cost as much as a corolla to run?
I keep about 30k cushion since I am out of warranty
Old 02-04-16, 12:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayek

And by the way, it's not like an used Lexus would be much cheaper to run or more reliable, so this thread is, with the lack of a better a word and forgive me for sounding like Gordon Ramsay, absolutely ****ing useless.
I believe that is where you are wrong. A Lexus is MUCH cheaper to service, because shops treat it like its a Toyota and charge you similar labor rates to working on your Corolla or pickup truck. In the 4 years I've owned my 1992 SC300, I've had to replace the clutch hydrolics and recharge the a/c. Less than $500 spent in 4 years/30k miles of ownership.
Old 02-04-16, 12:53 PM
Crusher103
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikez
I keep about 30k cushion since I am out of warranty
lol thats actually much higher than what i was expecting, but as said before you have to pay to play.
Old 02-04-16, 03:22 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

not sure what admin changed the thread title but its actually better and more on topic.

anyway, lets talk rusty, $500 jaguars? ive had a few of those too.
Old 02-04-16, 04:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I was only asking a question. I didn't know whether the N54 motor was an 8, 10 or 12-cylinder motor. Just trying to educate myself. And, BTW, I do have whatever money it will take for a right-now repair on my Audi. I pay my gardner more than $500-$1000 to replant my landscaping every season.
Actually I should have just quoted the post I was answering to, so my answer wasn't directed at your question.

The N54 is legendary for its torque and for its troubles with a significant number of owners. But once you get into debates about this motor or that motor, or this model year or that one it's pretty much irrelevant to a used car perspective.

They all cost you money one way or the other. I love how car manufacturers at the high end market their cars as investments. A depreciating, money grubbing maintenance prone car as an investment.

I like the new thread title too. It makes sense in a TG type of way.
Old 02-05-16, 07:32 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default 2000 for a 95 ls400

I bought a ls400 with about 140k on the clock for less than 2000, i drove to upstate NY bought it from a guy who kept the car for his son but the son refuse to drive a older mans car.

That car was a tank my father in law had it for about 6 years close to 200k on it. Only thing it ever needed was new brakes and tires. The radiator fluid leaked a bit but not to much.

It died because some guy hit the car while it was parked during a snow storm. His insurance paid 3200$ for the car since they totaled it.

So yea even the crap cars lexus is the way to go
Old 02-05-16, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
not sure what admin changed the thread title but its actually better and more on topic.
Originally Posted by MattyG
I like the new thread title too.
thanks.

It makes sense in a TG type of way.
well i did grow up in britain.
Old 02-06-16, 06:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

ok, old bimmers..

2002 745Li, 187,500 miles when I got it, 2012. absolutely had the crap kicked out of it. cracked rear bumper. black faided paint, looked like someone was living in it the interior was so dirty, some of the buttons on the dash were broken or missing, had a terrible exaust leak and sounded like a mac truck, ac didn't work, sunroof leaked and had lots of mildew inside the car.

for a car that was as expensive as new as it was, and the fact that it was only about ten years old. it was in HORRIBLE condition. bought it from a guy that had it sitting in his yard with weeds up to the fenders. $1500.

somehow, everything on the car besides the AC, and the rear passanger side window was still working, sort of. always wanted a bangle butt 7 cause I was curious about them so I bit.

drove it for a few weeks before it started ****ting the bed. but in the 3 weeks I had it that it actually ran, it was surprisingly fun to drive. hugged the road like glue and was surprisingly fast. at the time I lived a few blocks from the beach so it was the car I would drive and cruise A1A in, it was always full of sand, and I alwaus drove it just in a tank top and wet board shorts after swimming. I crammed surfboards and bikes in it. picture "surf city" by Jan & Dean. hey it was fun while it lasted. but it was suck a nice car that was so thrashed out, it got goofy looks everywhere I drove it. not a single body panel didn't have some kind of dent in it, back end sagged real bad, a true hooptie.

then the nightmares started. sometimes it simply wouldn't start, the electronic brake wouldn't always disengage, idrive system started going, heat came on and was stuck blowing hot air in the dead of summer in west palm beach, fl, started burning oil REALLY bad as well as leaking it. about a month into this experience the car was staring death in the face. it had one wheel in the crusher when I got it so.. yeah. got it right at the tail end of its existence. then the engine started lightly knocking and the transmission lost 3rd gear.. seriously all of this happened in a matter of days. then the power sunshade motor caught on fire while I was driving it. -still don't know how that even happened, I really didn't take it out of the neighborhood at that point. then one night I was at the Boynton beach inlet pulling on to A1A and the thing just went up in smoke, something under the dash caught on fire! heard a really loud sizzle and smoke started pouring out of below the passanger foot well. I threw water on it but it didn't help, and everything in the car started to flicker. so I ripped my tag off of it, quickly grabbed my stuff out of it, called 911, and watched it burn guess it just didn't want to live anymore. so if anyone in WPB remembers a really bad car fire at the Boynton inlet a few years back.. yeah, that was me lmao.
Old 02-06-16, 10:37 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man what a waste of 1.5k, if youre buying these cars that barely last a month, imagine what nicer cars you would of gotten if you saved up lol
Old 02-06-16, 12:04 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
Man what a waste of 1.5k, if youre buying these cars that barely last a month, imagine what nicer cars you would of gotten if you saved up lol
meh. it was an impulse buy. at the time I had always wanted to try a bangle butt 745Li, thought they looked cool. wasn't about to spend 10k on one so I just got one that was at the end of its lifespan. if it hadn't caught on fire it probably would have lasted longer. one thing is though, it was a great beach cruiser!