Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick brand features first convertible in 25 years in first Super Bowl ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 12:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Buick brand features first convertible in 25 years in first Super Bowl ad

DETROIT (AP) - General Motors’ Buick brand will use its first Super Bowl ad to plug a sleek new convertible as it continues the fight against an old image of cars that are custom-made for senior citizens.

The 30-second spot will feature New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and actress-model Emily Ratajkowski from the thriller “Gone Girl.” It will run sometime during Super Bowl 50 the night of Feb. 7.

The ad will promote Buick’s new Cascada, the brand’s first convertible in a quarter-century that is due in showrooms in a matter of weeks. The company says the car, with a sculpted look and wide, athletic stance, will continue its effort to change the perception of Buick.

Buick’s U.S. sales fell nearly 3 percent last year even though total auto sales grew nearly 6 percent. GM hopes to turn that around this year with three new vehicles including the Cascada, a redesigned LaCrosse full-size sedan and the Envision, a compact crossover SUV. The brand had a great year globally, though, passing 1.2 million in sales for the first time on popularity in China.

In 2014, the brand launched the “That’s not a Buick” U.S. ad campaign portraying the cars and SUVs as sporty luxury vehicles preferred by younger people. It followed years of ads that featured golfer Tiger Woods and basketball star Shaquille O’Neal. The image-changing campaign is starting to work, according to GM. The average age of a Buick buyer was 66.2 in 2000, but that fell to around 58 last year, the company said.

Duncan Aldred, Buick’s sales and marketing chief, said Beckham’s unique talent and commitment to excellence represents the Buick brand well, as does Ratajkowski’s style.
Old 01-27-16, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

After seeing the Avista Concept, this Opel erm Buick looks like nothing special.
Old 01-27-16, 01:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
After seeing the Avista Concept, this Opel erm Buick looks like nothing special.
Those wheels on a Buick just looks...weird.
Old 01-27-16, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Those wheels on a Buick just looks...weird.
IMO, 20" wheels on ANY Buick is weird. You won't get a Buick ride on something like that. IMO, even the 18" wheels on my Verano are too large....and the tires too low-profile.

Other than that, the Cascada seems to be a nice little drop-top. I looked at one at the D.C. Auto Show yesterday, but didn't get to see as much as I wanted, since it was up on a turntable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 03:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, 20" wheels on ANY Buick is weird. You won't get a Buick ride on something like that. IMO, even the 18" wheels on my Verano are too large....and the tires too low-profile.

Other than that, the Cascada seems to be a nice little drop-top. I looked at one at the D.C. Auto Show yesterday, but didn't get to see as much as I wanted, since it was up on a turntable.

Mike,I hate when they put vehicles on turnstiles too.
Old 01-27-16, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike,I hate when they put vehicles on turnstiles too.
That's become par for the course at many auto shows, though.....along with either company reps or fancily-dressed models reciting a cue-card-like) litany about the product from (a cue-card-like). I like to just stand there, quiet, wait till they are done with their long speech, and then tell them the things that they either missed or what they can't say about the car because it would be negative. I've had a number of them say 'You're right....but I can't say that out loud".
Old 01-28-16, 12:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When you see and hear about the abuse, theft and vandalism cars take at the big auto shows, it's no wonder the manufacturers but new models up on turntables. Can't blame 'em.
Old 01-28-16, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've had such good luck with my Verano that I'm going to take a good look at the Cascada (same platform)...but, so far, I don't like the way-too-large standard 20" wheels (probably a rough ride and little pothole protection) and the 1.6T engine. (I prefer a larger N/A power plant)
Old 01-28-16, 09:39 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is GM really trying to fool the public again? This time by rebadging an outdated Opel and portraying it as something new.
Old 01-28-16, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Is GM really trying to fool the public again? This time by rebadging an outdated Opel and portraying it as something new.
I have a Opel-based Buick Verano. GM did anything BUT fool the public with these Opel-based Buicks (Verano, Regal, Encore, Cascada). IMO they are more solidly-built, use better hardware, and are more reliable than domestically-designed Buicks. (and, of course, they also benefit from the Buick Quiet Tuning). If they want to do a nice convertible based on this platform, I say more power to them.

Not that the Cascada is perfect by any means, though. It could, IMO, use a larger naturally-aspirated engine instead of the small 1.6L turbo, and the standard 20" wheels are ludicrous...they will probably not have much in the way of ride-comfort.
Old 01-28-16, 10:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've had such good luck with my Verano that I'm going to take a good look at the Cascada (same platform)...but, so far, I don't like the way-too-large standard 20" wheels (probably a rough ride and little pothole protection) and the 1.6T engine. (I prefer a larger N/A power plant)
You will be happy until you go to sell/trade in your Verano, and see the legendary depreciation. Veranos are dirt cheap on the used market.
Old 01-29-16, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
You will be happy until you go to sell/trade in your Verano, and see the legendary depreciation. Veranos are dirt cheap on the used market.
In that case, then, go out and buy a used one yourself....you probably won't be disappointed.
Old 01-29-16, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I find nothing about the Cascada appealing either. Its overall shape just isn't attractive at all to me...
Old 01-29-16, 10:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I find nothing about the Cascada appealing either. Its overall shape just isn't attractive at all to me...
Agreed. Its an awkward looking car IMO. Looks like a VW Eos, which I could never warm up to either.

It will be nice to have another "affordable" convertible option on the market though. I started looking up "affordable" convertibles, there are more options for under $40,000 than what I realized:

1. VW Eos- yes they still sell it

2. VW Beetle convertible- looks like the cheapest thing on the market starting at $25k. Personally I kind of like it, it does have personality and you can get them with the turbocharged Golf GTI engine.

3. Ford Mustang- Downside is you can't buy one configured like you want. You want the V8, which is $40,000+ options. The v6 is $29,000 and you cannot get a single luxury option on it. If you want leather seats, nicer trim, etc you have to buy the awful eco-boost 4 cylinder which is a lot more $$$

4. Chevy Camaro- Like the Mustang, a V8 one is more than $40,000 with no options. Also Chevy hasn't released the new body style in convertible form yet, so its the same old car you could've bought 6 years ago.

5. Audi A3, that starts at $36k, which is pretty impressive. I'm sure you'll never find one at the dealer for less than $40k with options.

6. BMW 228i, $38k with no options, which means that a Nissan Versa has more standard equipment.

7. Mazda Miata- My favorite car on this list.
Old 01-29-16, 02:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Sad situation. This car is DOA, with its ten+ year old styling. Sole sales will stem from rental returns and game show prizes. One of these days GM will wake up to current market trends and actually want to compete. That would require employees and executives with a different vision and work ethic- something the company still lacks.

Quick Reply: Buick brand features first convertible in 25 years in first Super Bowl ad