Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 10:15 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Looking for a new SUV

Hi all - my wife and I are looking for a new SUV to replace her present 13' RAV4. We're looking for smaller tidy package, a little luxury, good value (ie not too $$), and much more power (240hp at minimum). I wanted to both give my assessment of some of the cars we went through and also ask for more opinions, advice, and other options we may have overlooked. Note: we just looked recently at a 16' RAV4 Limited Hybrid and were not impressed.

Yesterday, I test drove the RDX, MDX, NX, and the new RX.

I was expecting much more from Acura, but they are really just high end Honduhs: they emphasize value more than luxury (leather felt really synthetic, wasn't perforated, trimmings were flimsy and really fake, and no coherent design language that exudes luxury). They are cheap though, with a RDX AWD around $33k which is a high end RAV4 now. It had ample power, drove nice, and had a nice smaller profile. This was the best bang for the buck imho.

I drove the MDX w/ SH-AWD next and was impressed that it was quick and light on its feet for a 7 seat SUV (although the rear seats are a joke). The new 9-speed really sucks though with strange shift patterns either hesistating or quick shifting at the strangest times. The quirky drive selector was also a curious design "feature", but interior overall felt very pedestrian and didn't exude a luxury feel. Overall, good value (again), ample power, surprising handling, but felt like a high end Pilot which it is based on. It's also way too big for my wife, so this takes it out of the running.

As for Lexus, I really like the youthful design of the NX and it definitely feels upscale (haptic feedback mouse was interesting). Toyco really knows how to differentiate the RaV4 and the NX, as i never once thought that they were sharing a platform. However, that 2.0 turbo 4 left a lot to be desired. Stomp on the gas and you can feel some big turbo lag before it finally kicks in. Toyco really needs to go back to the drawing board on this powertrain otherwise, the NX would be a homerun! For now, with dealers not negotiating much because its a hot commodity, it's just a ground rule double by virtue of its luxury.

I then drove the new RX and loved it (well except for the NAV/menu screen sticking out like a sore thumb in the dash): it was roomy, luxurious, and powerful! Although folks will cross shop it with the MDX, they are 2 very different SUVs. Sit in both back to back and you can tell which is the benchmark for a luxury SUV! People complain about the lack added 2 seats like the MDX, but I think Lexus hit a homerun with this packaging. Too bad, my wife Thinks the RX is too big (it definitely has grown over the years), otherwise I would get it hands down.

I'll check out the X1 and GLA probably today (and look into the Audi as well).
Old 01-27-16, 10:22 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd also recommend you look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the luxury and refinement. Plus that truck has a certain masculine charm and personality about it that I feel a lot of these SUV's lack in this day and age.
Old 01-27-16, 10:36 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at the landrover discovery sport, their reliability reputation may turn you off but I am curious of your thoughts, it seems to be down the alley of what you are looking for
Old 01-27-16, 11:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your thoughts are pretty much on point OP. I also test drove an RDX not too long ago and came away very disappointed. Acura as a whole makes very mediocre vehicles that tend to sell well because they have carved out a niche of buyers who are only looking for fancy Hondas. Having the latest and greatest powertrains, highest quality interiors, etc. isn't of interest to their buyers. The RDX's interior felt downright cheap and pathetic honestly.

I would definitely recommend the NX and RX. I am pretty into German cars so you can't go wrong by looking at the new BMW X1, Mercedes GLC, and Audi Q3. The Mercedes GLA is kind of mediocre I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-27-16, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd also recommend you look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the luxury and refinement. Plus that truck has a certain masculine charm and personality about it that I feel a lot of these SUV's lack in this day and age.
I agree. I think the Jeep is a good option. Or I would say Toyota Highlander. The NX is an upscale Rav4.
Old 01-27-16, 12:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The NX is nice, but the silly styling with the sloped rear roof make the back seat and cargo area a lot tighter than a Rav4. You're paying a lot more money for less IMO
Old 01-27-16, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I was really impressed with the new GLC at the car show. I think they're great looking, have a nice profile, good proportions. Nice interior. Haven't driven one obviously.

We loved our Grand Cherokees. I'd definitely look into one.
Old 01-27-16, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Grand Cherokee is definitely pleasant to drive, has a nice upscale interior, and its fit/finish is light-years ahead of previous models. It's only possible downside is that its reliability is not as consistant as that of the RX....some owners have had very good luck, others have had problems. Otherwise, I'd say choose either one without a second thought.
Old 01-27-16, 04:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Grand Cherokee is awesome in either the Overland or Summit trims.

The Kia Sorento SX-L would also be a pretty nice option, not too big size wise, but all the luxury and tech features. The SX-L trims of the Kia's are fairly impressive, usually have quilted leather with heating and cooling, heated steering wheel, etc.

If you could wait, the new Mazda CX-9 also looks fairly promising from an interior and feature execution stand point (but it's nearly 200" long, so that might wipe it out of consideration).
Old 01-27-16, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Since you're looking at the RDX and NX, the Lincoln MKC and Volvo XC60 are some other alternatives
Old 01-27-16, 10:29 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i really really wanted to like the NX but i can't just get over its interior and the turbo 4
Old 01-27-16, 11:02 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your budget? I'd look into the BMW X3 over the X1. The X1 drives very smooth but is underpowered to me.
Old 01-28-16, 12:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I was really impressed with the new GLC at the car show. I think they're great looking, have a nice profile, good proportions. Nice interior. Haven't driven one obviously.

We loved our Grand Cherokees. I'd definitely look into one.
I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for our Q5, and there are a lot good choices in the compact and mid-size luxury CUV/SUV segment. Based on our experience with the current 2013 Q5, I'd get the new gen in a heartbeat, but it will be the 1st model from a brand new plant in Mexico so I'll pass for now.

The GLC is on my radar and both my wife and I like it, but it is also a new model. It's coming from an existing plant so that might reduce the risk if issues somewhat.
Old 01-28-16, 05:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

In that segment looking at everything, I would probably choose the GLC...
Old 01-28-16, 06:15 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Though potentially spotty, have a try at the 2015 or 2016 CRV...the Motortrend SUV of the year. Great gas mileage, I think pretty comfortable, solid resale value. However you really can't go wrong with the RX...

Quick Reply: Looking for a new SUV