Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 08:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If you really want a near-luxury SUV and want to stay within the $40k range you should check out the Infiniti QX50. It is an old model, but it has recently been restyled and stretched by 4 inches, has a V6 that is one of the most powerful in its class and is RWD based so it is more of a driver's car. The interior is dated in comparison to brand new models, but it still looks nice and is nicely finished. I would imagine it is pretty reliable as well considering the number of years it has been in production. It is a lot of "bang for the buck" that everyone overlooks.
I totally forgot about Infiniti, but I will def check that EX35 err, QX50 out. It does seem like a good value.
Old 01-29-16, 09:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

How about a gently used station Wagon?
Old 01-30-16, 10:15 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
Over half of Lexus sales go to vehicles based off of Toyota platforms with Toyota engines/powerplants.

I would not say all or most Acura buyers are just looking for fancy Honda's or they are not concerned about powertrains or interiors. Acura's have had some excellent interiors, top of class and excellent powertrains, their current lineup of vehicles are not up to their normal high standards and for that they have lost some loyal buyers because they do care about interiors and drivetrains but they are still very good vehicles.

Acura does go further in engine tuning and drive train to separate the MDX from the Pilot and TL/TLX from the Accord then Lexus does with the ES-Camry, Highlander-RX.

The MDX has always had a nicer interior, more power, and a much better powertrain then the RX up until the new RX arrived though the MDX is still sportier and offers a more sophisticated superior awd system, I believe the MDX is still quicker then the new RX too. BMW admitted the 2nd Gen MDX was superior to their X5 at the time.

I would still check out the RDX and MDX, they are still very good vehicles.
You make some fair points but i'm curious to see where BMW conceded that the 2nd gen MDX was superior to the X5 because I guarantee that it was not. That MDX was not only ugly but had swaths of plastic faux wood in the cabin that looked plain garish. I had 2 2nd gen X5s (E70) and they were superior to the MDX in every facet imaginable, besides long-term reliability and cost of ownership of course.
Old 01-30-16, 10:17 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
the reason why Lexus feels much more luxurious than a Toyota than Acura to Honda is because Toyota interior plastic is horrible. The Rav4 interior is just absolutely horrible and low quality, Scion-like. The CRV interior is at least tolerable
I agree that Toyota interiors are pretty bad in comparison to Honda interiors. If you sit inside an Accord, the new Civic, etc. they can almost pass for Acuras. The CRV interior is world's better than the Rav4's, I really question why anybody buys the Rav4 when I see one on the road when the CRV is such a better vehicle.
Old 01-30-16, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I agree that Toyota interiors are pretty bad in comparison to Honda interiors. If you sit inside an Accord, the new Civic, etc. they can almost pass for Acuras. The CRV interior is world's better than the Rav4's, I really question why anybody buys the Rav4 when I see one on the road when the CRV is such a better vehicle.
A Highlander, Land Cruiser and an Avalon can all pass as a Lexus.
Old 01-30-16, 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,643 Posts

so you want a small ute, but an x1 is too small, you don't want to spend more than $40k, yet you look at an mdx, which is huge... you don't like the nx engine, rx is nice but too big...

i'm not sure what you want at this point.

$40k for new won't get you much luxury.
Old 01-30-16, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A Highlander, Land Cruiser and an Avalon can all pass as a Lexus.
With the Highlander, only the top-line models, and even then, (IMO) just barely.
Old 01-30-16, 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

I've started looking for a small reasonably priced SUV for my Mom. She has an aging (2003) FX35. She doesn't drive enough anymore for her to pay the entry price of a luxury branded vehicle. She needs something with good visibility, good in all weather with a high driving position, reliable, and premium feeling because she's used to that.

I stopped by today and I drove the CX-5, I will tell ya what, its a nice little vehicle. Rides good, responsive, very premium feeling and looking inside and out, especially in Grand Touring trim. Price? $32k! $34k if you want radar cruise and all which she doesn't need.

IMHO its a heck of a vehicle for $32k, and easily feels $10k more premium. Pickup was good, powertrain is refined. I'm going to drive a few other things in that segment and obviously she has to drive them and its her choice, but thats a winner IMHO.

Old 01-30-16, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also check out the Buick Encore, if she doesn't need much power. It won't equal the CX-5's drivetrain spunk, but has what IMO is one of the richest, classiest interiors of any CUV in its class. And it is in the price range that you are looking at.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its got to be reliable and hold up as likely the last car she's going to buy. I don't have that confidence in Buick.

Those acres of Buick fake wood IMHO are an immediate non starter for me.
Old 01-30-16, 05:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've started looking for a small reasonably priced SUV for my Mom. She has an aging (2003) FX35. She doesn't drive enough anymore for her to pay the entry price of a luxury branded vehicle. She needs something with good visibility, good in all weather with a high driving position, reliable, and premium feeling because she's used to that.

I stopped by today and I drove the CX-5, I will tell ya what, its a nice little vehicle. Rides good, responsive, very premium feeling and looking inside and out, especially in Grand Touring trim. Price? $32k! $34k if you want radar cruise and all which she doesn't need.

IMHO its a heck of a vehicle for $32k, and easily feels $10k more premium. Pickup was good, powertrain is refined. I'm going to drive a few other things in that segment and obviously she has to drive them and its her choice, but thats a winner IMHO.

Mazda is on to something with the CX-5. IMO the recent refresh made it even more appealing. It's the current benchmark for compact CUV's.
Old 01-30-16, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its got to be reliable and hold up as likely the last car she's going to buy. I don't have that confidence in Buick.

Those acres of Buick fake wood IMHO are an immediate non starter for me.
Consumer Reports gives the Encore an overall reliability rating of 60% better then average, and the CX-5 35% better than average. But, if it's not for you (or her), then that's fine.
Old 01-30-16, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its not just reliability, its how well it will age. Whats it going to be like to drive 10 years from now? I have more confidence in the Mazda than I do a Buick.
Old 01-30-16, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a somewhat cut-and-dried but still interesting review that goes into a lot of the CX-5's Grand Touring's features.

Old 01-30-16, 06:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Alex on Autos has one I'm going to watch later too. Don't want to hijack this thread I'm going to start another.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new SUV