Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 08:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i really really wanted to like the NX but i can't just get over its interior and the turbo 4
I don't have as much of a problem with the interior since most materials are up to snuff minus the window switches, bezels and lower dash/door plastics could be better. The cabin noise, and suspension tuning (crashes over bumpers) need to be improved. The latest RX does an amazing job of isolating the cabin and absorbing bumps while still being composed during cornering.
Old 01-28-16, 10:18 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can test drive a Mercedes GLC, the ride quality is much much better than all these SUVs that you mentioned.
Old 01-28-16, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
You can test drive a Mercedes GLC, the ride quality is much much better than all these SUVs that you mentioned.
I'll be test driving one soon. Most of the reviews that I've read have been positive about the ride and handling.
Old 01-28-16, 03:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Just checked out the X1. Really like what they have done with it with the refresh: higher ride height, better looks, more features, with similar pricing. The only downside is that its pretty small (hatchback like almost).

Looked at a Forrester XT and an Outback H6, but they dont seem to have the same pedigree as the others. Tried to look at the Q3, but no one helped me at the Audi dealership. =/ I'll try to look at Jeep over the weekend, but its kind of between the Bimmer and the RDX, and only because the RDX is so cheap. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Old 01-28-16, 04:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Your thoughts are pretty much on point OP. I also test drove an RDX not too long ago and came away very disappointed. Acura as a whole makes very mediocre vehicles that tend to sell well because they have carved out a niche of buyers who are only looking for fancy Hondas. Having the latest and greatest powertrains, highest quality interiors, etc. isn't of interest to their buyers. The RDX's interior felt downright cheap and pathetic honestly.

I would definitely recommend the NX and RX. I am pretty into German cars so you can't go wrong by looking at the new BMW X1, Mercedes GLC, and Audi Q3. The Mercedes GLA is kind of mediocre I wouldn't recommend it.
Over half of Lexus sales go to vehicles based off of Toyota platforms with Toyota engines/powerplants.

I would not say all or most Acura buyers are just looking for fancy Honda's or they are not concerned about powertrains or interiors. Acura's have had some excellent interiors, top of class and excellent powertrains, their current lineup of vehicles are not up to their normal high standards and for that they have lost some loyal buyers because they do care about interiors and drivetrains but they are still very good vehicles.

Acura does go further in engine tuning and drive train to separate the MDX from the Pilot and TL/TLX from the Accord then Lexus does with the ES-Camry, Highlander-RX.

The MDX has always had a nicer interior, more power, and a much better powertrain then the RX up until the new RX arrived though the MDX is still sportier and offers a more sophisticated superior awd system, I believe the MDX is still quicker then the new RX too. BMW admitted the 2nd Gen MDX was superior to their X5 at the time.

I would still check out the RDX and MDX, they are still very good vehicles.
Old 01-28-16, 05:56 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting your quick reviews of each. I have similar sentiments as you do. The RX is really a compelling vehicle... Its going to be even more so on 2-3 year used RX's.
Old 01-29-16, 01:20 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Over half of Lexus sales go to vehicles based off of Toyota platforms with Toyota engines/powerplants.

I would not say all or most Acura buyers are just looking for fancy Honda's or they are not concerned about powertrains or interiors. Acura's have had some excellent interiors, top of class and excellent powertrains, their current lineup of vehicles are not up to their normal high standards and for that they have lost some loyal buyers because they do care about interiors and drivetrains but they are still very good vehicles.

Acura does go further in engine tuning and drive train to separate the MDX from the Pilot and TL/TLX from the Accord then Lexus does with the ES-Camry, Highlander-RX.

The MDX has always had a nicer interior, more power, and a much better powertrain then the RX up until the new RX arrived though the MDX is still sportier and offers a more sophisticated superior awd system, I believe the MDX is still quicker then the new RX too. BMW admitted the 2nd Gen MDX was superior to their X5 at the time.

I would still check out the RDX and MDX, they are still very good vehicles.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your arguments at all. Like 95% of all US Acura vehicles are based on Honduhs (99% if you really discount the RL). And even when there are shared platforms (RAV4/NX, Highlander/RX), there is noticeable distinguishable luxury amenities and design that sets them apart. I don't get that feeling with Honduh/Acura. Yes, they look different, but it feels as if they don't take a fresh design approach to separating them, instead seeing what is the necessary minimum for them to sell. As for the RX, you should really drive the new RX and MDX back to back like I have. They are 2 completely different vehicles, with Lexus emphasizing valued luxury (build, design, materials, etc.) and Acura emphasizing luxury value (costs, specs, etc.). In the end, I do like the RDX, but not because it's the top of its class, but rather because it has what I want (V6, and a cheap price), rather then cutting edge design, performance, or materials. Very different mindsets and customers, imho.
Old 01-29-16, 04:14 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new GLC gets my vote.
Old 01-29-16, 05:24 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The new GLC gets my vote.
I still need to swing by MB (and maybe Infiniti as well), but GLC seems beyond our pricing $40k ceiling.

I did go by Nissan today and looked at the Murano. We like it's styling a lot and it can be had in the low to mid 30's fully eqipped. There's a few things that were mild negatives however: weird funky fake silver wood (its like plastic formed dipped in gloss). It also drove "bigger" than it's size with somewhat floaty suspension (even with 20" wheels). Last of all, the CVT really handicaps it's performance when pushing it. Otherwise, really good packaging and value.

What do you all think between the RDX, X1, and Murano?
Old 01-29-16, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Honestly, if the $40k ceiling is a hard figure I would stay away from "luxury" branded vehicles. I think at that price point you're going to find that you're at the bottom of the barrel whereas in a mainstream SUV you're at the top. For instance after discounts that figure almost puts you in an Overland Grand Cherokee, which I would rather have over many of these vehicles, and I'd rather have a loaded Murano over an RDX or an X1...

Even a loaded Mazda CX-5 is a heck of a nice vehicle, very upscale looking and feeling for $35k. Even a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Tucson....
Old 01-29-16, 06:38 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you really want a near-luxury SUV and want to stay within the $40k range you should check out the Infiniti QX50. It is an old model, but it has recently been restyled and stretched by 4 inches, has a V6 that is one of the most powerful in its class and is RWD based so it is more of a driver's car. The interior is dated in comparison to brand new models, but it still looks nice and is nicely finished. I would imagine it is pretty reliable as well considering the number of years it has been in production. It is a lot of "bang for the buck" that everyone overlooks.
Old 01-29-16, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

What do you all think between the RDX, X1, and Murano?
Of the three, I'd probably choose the RDX. Best build quality, probably the best reliability, and the current 2Gen version is much more mainstream and comfortable to drive than the overly-firm/sport 1Gen. Yes, it has a parrot-beak grille, but hey..........no vehicle is perfect.
Old 01-29-16, 07:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My sister bought a new Murano a few months back and loves it. Has the panorama view camera and such. I was quite impressed with the interior quality and features.
Old 01-29-16, 07:27 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your arguments at all. Like 95% of all US Acura vehicles are based on Honduhs (99% if you really discount the RL). And even when there are shared platforms (RAV4/NX, Highlander/RX), there is noticeable distinguishable luxury amenities and design that sets them apart. I don't get that feeling with Honduh/Acura. Yes, they look different, but it feels as if they don't take a fresh design approach to separating them, instead seeing what is the necessary minimum for them to sell. As for the RX, you should really drive the new RX and MDX back to back like I have. They are 2 completely different vehicles, with Lexus emphasizing valued luxury (build, design, materials, etc.) and Acura emphasizing luxury value (costs, specs, etc.). In the end, I do like the RDX, but not because it's the top of its class, but rather because it has what I want (V6, and a cheap price), rather then cutting edge design, performance, or materials. Very different mindsets and customers, imho.
the reason why Lexus feels much more luxurious than a Toyota than Acura to Honda is because Toyota interior plastic is horrible. The Rav4 interior is just absolutely horrible and low quality, Scion-like. The CRV interior is at least tolerable
Old 01-29-16, 08:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Honestly, if the $40k ceiling is a hard figure I would stay away from "luxury" branded vehicles. I think at that price point you're going to find that you're at the bottom of the barrel whereas in a mainstream SUV you're at the top. For instance after discounts that figure almost puts you in an Overland Grand Cherokee, which I would rather have over many of these vehicles, and I'd rather have a loaded Murano over an RDX or an X1...

Even a loaded Mazda CX-5 is a heck of a nice vehicle, very upscale looking and feeling for $35k. Even a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Tucson....
it's not a hard cap per se but one we stipulated for ourselves (the RX would of been an exception if not for the size). As much as I like the CX-5 (even the CX-3 more so), it doesn't fit our criteria for power. I'm staying away from Huyndai for now until they can solve their 2.0L turbo gremlins. I've heard a lot about the GC, but kind of worried about reliability aspect of it (would also be our first domestic purchase....ever!).

Quick Reply: Looking for a new SUV